EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   New Electric Truck Company - Lordstown Motor Corp - LMC (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-electric-truck-company-lordstown-motor-corp-lmc-37966.html)

NeilBlanchard 11-08-2019 03:32 PM

New Electric Truck Company - Lordstown Motor Corp - LMC

GM is selling its Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant to a newly formed electric truck company, that is partly owned by Workhorse. It is called Lordstown Motor Corporation, or LMC. They are planning on building millions of electric trucks, in the old GM plant.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ormer-gm-plant

https://leftlanenews.com/2019/11/08/...-factory-sale/

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/ibimg/hgm/12..._100723510.jpg

They are still in the concept stage, but Workhorse has been at this for a while.

slowmover 11-09-2019 03:11 AM

Ah, yes, the storied history of the Lordstown plant.

Home of the Chevrolet Vega and it’s Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time aluminum engine.

Where, “stopping to fill up”, meant oil, not gasoline.

oil pan 4 11-09-2019 03:55 AM

Believe it when I see it.
I hope it works out for them.
But no one seems eager to make the first move on releasing an electric pickup.

Potential problems.
The biggest one I see with the concept of an electric pickup truck is level 2 charging is pretty much mandatory if you drive more than 30 miles a day.
It appears a large portion (as far as I can tell it's up to half of them) of electric car people only use level 1, they cry and whine so much about paying a few hundred dollars for a level 2 evse and a few hundred more for an electrician to install the circuit.

MeteorGray 11-09-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 611271)
Ah, yes, the storied history of the Lordstown plant.

Home of the Chevrolet Vega and it’s Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time aluminum engine.

Where, “stopping to fill up”, meant oil, not gasoline.

I had one of them Vegas, given to me by a family member.

It ran OK with no problems until one day with about 25K on the clock. On that day I was coming back from a hunting trip and I happened to look down at my aftermarket Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge as I was turning a corner, and the instrument announced with a needle-diving-to-zero that I had approaching-zero oil pressure!

Well, that was kind of interesting, so as I was preparing to pull to a stop after straightening out on the other side of the turn, the oil pressure went back up to a normal 25 or 30 psi level. Now, ain't that something.

Well, I continued on the way home but I kept my eye of that faithful SW gauge all the way there and, sure enough, it was telling me that the oil pressure fell as I made sharp turns but came back after straightening out again.

When I got home, I lifted the hood to see what was going on and found that the oil in my pan had dropped to well below the "add" mark on the sounding stick. First time I saw that happen. But not the last.

From that day forward that little aluminum-with-silicon-mix-block with the who-needs-sissy-cylinders-liners? design burned oil. Like, smoke signal level. I could blow smoke rings around tailgating traffic by clever use of the ignition key.

I didn't keep the Vega very long after it got old enough to smoke. I guess 25000 miles wasn't too bad, considering.

thingstodo 11-09-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 611232)
GM is selling its Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant to a newly formed electric truck company, that is partly owned by Workhorse. It is called Lordstown Motor Corporation, or LMC. They are planning on building millions of electric trucks, in the old GM plant.

They are still in the concept stage, but Workhorse has been at this for a while.

I'll agree with concept.

The greencarreports link shows a Model-S style electric motor at the front and rear axles, the leftlanenews link describes a hub motor design!

While I would welcome more diversity in the EV market, I would not personally put down any cash to purchase one until 'where can I fix it' and 'who supplies spare parts' is worked out. The announcement, in Nov 2019, of production starting 'late 2020' is ... umm .. a BIT optimistic?

Hersbird 11-09-2019 12:12 PM

VT Hackney is also a Workhorse partner and has one of the 5 finalists for the next mail truck.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tru...deal-work/amp/

oil pan 4 11-09-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeteorGray (Post 611275)
I had one of them Vegas, given to me by a family member.

It ran OK with no problems until one day with about 25K on the clock. On that day I was coming back from a hunting trip and I happened to look down at my aftermarket Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge as I was turning a corner, and the instrument announced with a needle-diving-to-zero that I had approaching-zero oil pressure!

Well, that was kind of interesting, so as I was preparing to pull to a stop after straightening out on the other side of the turn, the oil pressure went back up to a normal 25 or 30 psi level. Now, ain't that something.

Well, I continued on the way home but I kept my eye of that faithful SW gauge all the way there and, sure enough, it was telling me that the oil pressure fell as I made sharp turns but came back after straightening out again.

When I got home, I lifted the hood to see what was going on and found that the oil in my pan had dropped to well below the "add" mark on the sounding stick. First time I saw that happen. But not the last.

From that day forward that little aluminum-with-silicon-mix-block with the who-needs-sissy-cylinders-liners? design burned oil. Like, smoke signal level. I could blow smoke rings around tailgating traffic by clever use of the ignition key.

I didn't keep the Vega very long after it got old enough to smoke. I guess 25000 miles wasn't too bad, considering.

The Vega engine had piston rings on Hypereutectic aluminum?
That's like a 30,000 mile engine.

oil pan 4 11-09-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thingstodo (Post 611299)
I'll agree with concept.

The greencarreports link shows a Model-S style electric motor at the front and rear axles, the leftlanenews link describes a hub motor design!

While I would welcome more diversity in the EV market, I would not personally put down any cash to purchase one until 'where can I fix it' and 'who supplies spare parts' is worked out. The announcement, in Nov 2019, of production starting 'late 2020' is ... umm .. a BIT optimistic?

Hub motors really aren't going to work in a pickup as the torque sucks. Plus if they use hub motors I'm going to call it now, it's vape.
I think a year from now nothing will have happened or be about to happen.

Not even the big manufacturerscreen do it that fast. Even when they come out with a new design they work on it for years. Most of the time they are reusing the engine and transmission out of last generation.

me and my metro 11-09-2019 08:54 PM

I put a steel sleeved block in one of the Vegas I owned back in the early 80s. That made them a pretty good car.

RustyLugNut 11-09-2019 09:04 PM

Did it have eight cylinders?

Quote:

Originally Posted by me and my metro (Post 611354)
I put a steel sleeved block in one of the Vegas I owned back in the early 80s. That made them a pretty good car.

THOSE were very good cars!