EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   the new ford fiesta --- Is This Tranny What Ecomodders Want? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-ford-fiesta-tranny-what-ecomodders-want-13900.html)

basslover911 07-15-2010 06:08 PM

the new ford fiesta --- Is This Tranny What Ecomodders Want?

So i don't know if a lot of you know, but the new ford fiesta gets better gas mileage with the new doulbe clutch automatic transmission than what it gets with the regular manual (stick shift)

... Question is though... Is this the ultimate transmission for Eco modders? Or can we attain better mileage from someone who drives manual transmissions the proper and fuel efficient way?

Daox 07-15-2010 09:46 PM

With pulse and glide you'll be able to beat the auto trans. Cruise control / constant speed I imagine you'll still beat it in town. Cruise control / constant speed on the highway I bet the auto wins.

Big Dave 07-15-2010 10:46 PM

As long as the torque cinverter is gone, its a step in the right direction as long as both clutches can be disengaged at will.

gascort 07-15-2010 10:54 PM

I think it's what we as ecomodders want all automatic transmissions to go to, for the general public. (I want my wife to get one)

I was intrigued when they released that tranny. If it stands the test of time and doesn't self-destruct, I think it'll be a very popular style.

MadisonMPG 07-16-2010 01:05 AM

Can I P&G the auto?

JeepNmpg2 07-16-2010 06:23 AM

Don't see why not, just leave it running and throw it in neutral. I found that I actually get better overall fe doing that with my Jeep. P to 50ish, G in neutral down to 33, but I don't shut off the motor, cause it's an auto tranny.

basslover911 07-16-2010 10:37 AM

Do you think maybe it will be even easier to p&g with it? Wouldn't it be "smoother" unlike the jerky transmissions of today?

Since it has two clutches one would already be engaged so it would just roll onto gear once your glide is done?

Nevyn 07-16-2010 12:03 PM

It's not bump-startable. It does NOT have torque converter. In the Fiesta, you don't get "manumatic" control, though. It's got D, but no +/-, no paddle shifters, etc for you to force a shift.

I think the design is good, and we should WANT auto trannys to go this route; but if you love EOC'ing and bump-starting, you're out of luck.

bhazard 07-16-2010 01:14 PM

Im sure theres a way to do some modding to get control over the trans.

JeepNmpg2 07-16-2010 03:18 PM

Likely, but it's probably not good for the tranny. I know you can kill the ignition in my jeep in any gear but overdrive and if you turn the ignition back on while still rolling, it will "bump start" the engine, but I don't think it's good for the system. Auto's just aren't made for that abuse... I know apples to cumquats comparing a slushbox-tq to a double-clutch... but that's my two cents :D

EdKiefer 07-16-2010 04:50 PM

These new dual clutch auto improve on the automatic trans by removing a lot of the power losses through no torque converter and some even no oil pump . You can let it auto or manual shift it, at least this articles seems to imply that.
Ford also implementing start/stop tech, were engine shuts down at stops, like waiting for red light .

DailyTech - Ford Powershift Gearbox Coming in 2010, Brings Clutchless Shifting

comptiger5000 07-16-2010 05:59 PM

JeepNmpg2 - That's because if you kill the ignition without taking the tranny out of gear, you're just forcing DFCO. The engine is still spinning, as is the tranny pump. The tranny doesn't know or care that the engine isn't still running. When you turn the ignition back on, the fuel and spark comes back, and the engine continues running normally.

gascort 07-16-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyTechArticleMentionedAbove
The weight reductions on the Focus's gearbox alone will account to a 9 percent increase in fuel economy, according to Ford.

I'm skeptical about this statement
Maybe weight and rotating mass? If dropping 30 pounds (cited in article) equated to 9% increase in FE in other cars, everyone would keep their cars as empty as ecomodders/drag racers.

Either way, very exciting transmission option. I could even handle it, and I'm excited to hear how they do the shut down when idling option - how long will it delay from when you release the brake pedal to when your car starts going?...

EdKiefer 07-16-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gascort (Post 184349)
I'm skeptical about this statement
Maybe weight and rotating mass? If dropping 30 pounds (cited in article) equated to 9% increase in FE in other cars, everyone would keep their cars as empty as ecomodders/drag racers.

Either way, very exciting transmission option. I could even handle it, and I'm excited to hear how they do the shut down when idling option - how long will it delay from when you release the brake pedal to when your car starts going?...

Yeh , I think that is a mistake, as in another article (same site ) it claims Ford says 9% for the new DC 6 speed trans total fuel improvement . which is pretty impressive, you will get better performance and economy .

brucepick 07-16-2010 09:46 PM

Probably .9 percent.
Released by a math-challenged publicity specilist is my guess.

euromodder 07-26-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basslover911 (Post 184177)
So i don't know if a lot of you know, but the new ford fiesta gets better gas mileage with the new doulbe clutch automatic transmission than what it gets with the regular manual (stick shift)

That's not uncommon for dual-clutch transmissions.
Even the BMW Z4 has better FE with its DCT - around 5% in the Euro-cycle.

dcb 07-26-2010 04:19 PM

I'm not terribly excited about the dual clutch setupm but it's way better than a regular automatic, and should be able to bump start with a bit of logic though (it should be fine to bumpstart it given it IS a glorified manual) so I wouldn't be too put out if my next car had one.

I think overall it is a good thing. You would have redundant clutches if something happens to one, if it is slipping, just drive home using 2nd, 4th, and 6th (or 1st, 3rd, 5th). You should get more reliability than a regular manual trans, once it's all sorted, but it will be a few pounds heavier and likely still have more losses then a well managed stick shift.

edit: found a picture:
http://www.niot.net/blog-images/27_M...ox-for-201.jpg

basslover911 07-27-2010 03:44 PM

I wonder how much more it would be to replace the clutch on those transmissions??

Then again.. They might last longer since you use each one half of what you would normally use them...

aburk4 07-27-2010 04:10 PM

Is the automatic flat-towable? If not then the manual is more hypermiler friendly, if you know what I mean. ;)

Nevyn 07-27-2010 08:33 PM

It *should* be flat towable, as it's just a specialized manual tranny.