EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New gearhead forced eco 90 honda hatch (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-gearhead-forced-eco-90-honda-hatch-27214.html)

Mystery_man 10-07-2013 01:01 PM

New gearhead forced eco 90 honda hatch

I have been into going fast like Ricky Bobby since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Now with the current conditions to the good ole US of A. I am building a gas sipper and kicking out my gas hog drag car. She can be a drag queen for someone else.

Soooo onto my new lifes work. A rusty thing that belongs on the front of an old Mach truck as an ornament.

I just recently overhauled the topend and ported the exhaust ports. It has a 4-2-1 header to an exhaust built for my sons Tonka truck. I a scrimmaging around my old Honda bulid part days and have a lightened flywheel and fresh stock clutch.

I am debating on going full hydro with my 95 dx trans with lsd. Don't know if that will improve or hurt fuel consumption due to going from one wheel to two wheel pulling? What yall think?

I have fully gutted the interior and am looking at ways to pull dash for a custom aluminum dash.

I have large holes in the front drivers floor pan and both rear quarters. Also a small hole in roof drivers side closest to front windshield in the rain thingy. Lol

Might fab some comfy aluminum seats. Slight sarcasm maybe who knows

But ya that's me and my pile who are you?

cbaber 10-07-2013 01:39 PM

Skip the LSD. It offers no advantages to a car built for fuel economy. Also skip any "go fast" parts like aftermarket header (unless you already have it), intake, etc. Put the money where it counts.

You are moving in the right direction with removing excess weight from the car. Since it seems like you know your way around a car, consider swapping in the 1992-1995 Honda Civic CX/VX final drive. The DX tranny is the middle of the road as far as gearing goes. For fuel economy, you want tall gears to lower the RPM at highway speeds. Pump up the tires to at least sidewall max pressure. This is the easiest mod, and one of the most effective.

MetroMPG 10-07-2013 02:23 PM

Gutting the interior, fabbing AL seating... I predict you'll fit right in.

A key piece of the puzzle is instrumentation: Buy/build yourself an MPGuino. Driver feedback is critical for adjusting the nut behind the wheel. It's the MPG equivalent of time slips. You'd never drag without measuring the results, would you?

Welcome to the forum.

Mystery_man 10-07-2013 03:02 PM

Use a phone to reply, so will be a tad all over the place. The trans that is in the car is a stock 90 cable dx. I have a 95 dx with quaffee diff already installed. Would that work better for now till I can invest more into the car?

Onto the flywheel. It would free up weight and make the engine more efficient in turn improve mpg as well as make hp that would make it easier to move around my toy car?

These are all parts that I have not that I intend on purchasing.

Would multi point efi be more efficient than the stock dual point?

I am kind of thinking as I am posting. I am geared towards power and speed. I don't think it differs all that much.

Body mods I will do some research on, but think I know the direction. Should work in same ways as road racing just without the parts that cause drag.

I have a full shop at my disposal, so the sky is the limit.

Mystery_man 10-07-2013 03:08 PM

Oh and this hunk has 17in wheels I would assume 13s with smaller tires and lower to the ground would improve mpg. Was already running in my head but just like others opinions.

MetroMPG 10-07-2013 03:23 PM

It'll be easier to find good low rolling resistance tires for 14's than 13's, if you're in the market for tires.

cbaber 10-07-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystery_man (Post 394399)
Use a phone to reply, so will be a tad all over the place. The trans that is in the car is a stock 90 cable dx. I have a 95 dx with quaffee diff already installed. Would that work better for now till I can invest more into the car?

Onto the flywheel. It would free up weight and make the engine more efficient in turn improve mpg as well as make hp that would make it easier to move around my toy car?

These are all parts that I have not that I intend on purchasing.

Would multi point efi be more efficient than the stock dual point?

I am kind of thinking as I am posting. I am geared towards power and speed. I don't think it differs all that much.

Body mods I will do some research on, but think I know the direction. Should work in same ways as road racing just without the parts that cause drag.

I have a full shop at my disposal, so the sky is the limit.

Ahh ok that makes it interesting. The 88-91 Civics had cable clutch systems, and 92+ have hydraulic systems. Therefore you couldn't put the 95 transmission on the 1990 Civic unless you converted the car to a hydraulic setup. Not to worry, the 1990 DX transmission is fine. The DX/LX trim levels of all Civics generally had higher gearing than the EX/Si trims, so those are preferred. However, certain MPG-oriented Honda's had even taller gearing, such as the CRX HF, Civic VX/CX, and Civic HX. Since you have a cable tranny, try to find a CRX HF transmission to swap in. It would be a direct bolt-in, and its geared tall for fuel economy. If you had a hydraulic setup, the 1992-1995 Civic VX/CX transmission is the best choice.

Lighter flywheels don't have a big impact on fuel economy. They are not parasitic like power steering. Flywheels store energy. Racers like them because they allow the engine to rev faster. They don't actually increase HP a significant amount. Switching to a lighter flywheel in a street car just makes it harder to drive. You would need to rev higher to take off. You would have trouble lugging around at 1200 RPM. Overall, you take away an essential part of hypermiling, which is driving at the lowest RPM possible. This is a hot topic here, mostly because the Honda Civic VX came with a lighter flywheel from the factory, but I have seen no proof that a lighter flywheel improves fuel economy.

MPFI is better than DPFI. Plenty of people sell the parts needed to do the swap. It would probably yield more power and better fuel economy.

Sell those 17's ASAP. Big wheels with low profile tires are bad for more than just fuel economy. Steelies are fine, and cheap. If you want to spend money and make the car look better, try finding a set of Civic VX or Civic HX wheels. They are factory alloys that are lightweight. Pair the smaller wheels with a set of low rolling resistance tires and you're set.