EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New guy on forum, driving a Yaris Verso (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-guy-forum-driving-yaris-verso-35046.html)

iikhod 04-06-2017 08:52 PM

New guy on forum, driving a Yaris Verso

Hi everybody, i have been reading this forum for a few month now and decided to register.
I'm currently driving a Toyota Yaris Verso, 1.3 litre engine and manual. At the moment, 56 imperial mpg/6.1L/100km. No modifications, just driving nicely.
Are there other yaris verso/fun cargo drivers on the forum?

MetroMPG 04-07-2017 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, iikhod.

Like this?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1491572368

I never even knew such a version of the Yaris existed! Cool.

Last year I bought a 2004 Echo (Yaris) 1.5L, manual transmission. I really liked the car, but I didn't end up keeping it:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-vs-33736.html

I only filled it once to check fuel economy, and saw 3.9 L/100 km / 73 mpg Imp / 61 mpg US under ideal driving conditions. But that number is suspect because it was a small fill (only 6 L).

Any plans for modifying the vehicle and/or your driving? Does yours have a fuel consumption gauge? Feel free to make a garage entry: Your Garage - Add new vehicle

And welcome to the forum!

iikhod 04-07-2017 10:08 AM

Yeah, that's the type. I like it because it's really functional for a small car, rear seats fold under the floor and then there's lots of space. I even carried a 50cc scooter inside the yaris once. Oh and also brought two small pigs in the back one time. :rolleyes:
Was thinking of attaching a tow hook but those are expensive to buy here in finland.

My wife had the little yaris for a while and i liked that too. She also had an aygo for a little while, i liked the yaris more...

I was planning a small aeromod to the front, it has a partial lip under the bumper, i think the smaller yaris gas the same style lips? I thought of making the lip go all the way and a bit lower.
In winter i have the mask/grille blocked. Also it has a block heater.

And my driving, well it gets better in time. Already small improvement can be seen in fe...
Many people mock the verso for it's looks but hey, it's reliable as hell :D
I will be making a garage entry some day, at the moment i'm a bit busy though.

MetroMPG 04-07-2017 10:14 AM

Does yours have roof racks? Consider removing them if you don't use them often. The taller body style already hurts aero compared to the regular Yaris, and the racks hurt even more.

Also, consider keeping some of the grille blocked even in warm weather. If you monitor engine temperature with an aftermarket gauge or you can monitor by listening for the cooling fan.

I have approx a 15 x 20cm opening on my 1.0L car, year round. Mostly rural road travel, not mountainous.

Most grille openings are sized for worst case cooling needs = aerodynamic penalty.

Tire pressure?

Quote:

I even carried a 50cc scooter inside the yaris once. Oh and also brought two small pigs in the back one time.
Fantastic. :D

iikhod 04-07-2017 10:27 AM

Yes, it has got them racks/rails and i thought of removing them, but that apparently would require removing the inner roof panel so a bit too much work for my small amount of spare time.:rolleyes:
I'll need to give some thinking considering the grill block. I already planned to install water temp gauge, really bugs me that the car doesn't have it originally :eek:

Tire pressure is approx. 2.5-2.6 bar

MetroMPG 04-07-2017 10:36 AM

2.6 bar = 38 PSI.

Yeah, we have to decide how much time we're willing to spend on things.

If you don't have a lot of time to do mods, your biggest gains will come from modifyng the nut behind the wheel (you, the driver). Feedback from an aftermarket FE computer would help there.

iikhod 04-07-2017 10:47 AM

That is true, i have already gone from 38imp mpg to 46imp mpg just by adjusting the nut(s) behind the wheel :thumbup:

MetroMPG 04-07-2017 10:53 AM

Nicely done. There's more where that came from, if you want it. :)

iikhod 04-07-2017 11:02 AM

Consumption will go slightly up now when the summer speed limits kick in, yaris chugs a lot more when going 100km/h instead of 80km/h. Altough in the "quiet hours" i'll drive slower, no rush.

MetroMPG 04-07-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

summer speed limits
Second new thing I learned today!

iikhod 04-07-2017 11:45 AM

Oh and also forgot to mention, the verso is at the moment only car in the family so that's one reason not to mod it so much...at some state i'll get a small car for commute. That i can "freely" modify :D
Thinking about getting a swift or micra sort of car, maybe a tad bigger so i can tow my trailer with it. Had a lot of cars in the past, little strange having just one car :rolleyes:

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-07-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 537901)
Oh and also forgot to mention, the verso is at the moment only car in the family so that's one reason not to mod it so much...at some state i'll get a small car for commute. That i can "freely" modify :D
Thinking about getting a swift or micra sort of car, maybe a tad bigger so i can tow my trailer with it. Had a lot of cars in the past, little strange having just one car :rolleyes:

At least you got a versatile car. I like those small wagons, but in my country they're not so popular. This model, by the way, IIRC was never officially available in South America but I see some JDM grey imports with Paraguayan plates once in a while.

About towing: recently I've seen even a Volkswagen Up towing a small utility trailer, so a Swift or a Micra presumably won't have problems doing so.

iikhod 04-08-2017 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 537936)
About towing: recently I've seen even a Volkswagen Up towing a small utility trailer, so a Swift or a Micra presumably won't have problems doing so.

Well that's true, at least outside the slippery times of year a small car should do the job, although it's a little bit illegal here.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-08-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 537969)
Well that's true, at least outside the slippery times of year a small car should do the job, although it's a little bit illegal here

Don't they have a tow rating back there? As long as you keep the weight down to that rating you're supposed to not have any trouble. Otherwise you'd be better off with another Yaris Verso or something like an early Renault Kangoo or a Peugeot Partner Origin.

iikhod 04-08-2017 11:42 AM

Yes we do, the trailers fully loaded weight(what's the word for that in english?:D) is the number to go by. For example my trailer is 750kg no brakes. Almost every small car has tow rate around 400-500kg/no brakes and about 800kg with brakes.
Yes, i could get a smaller trailer for a smaller car but that's a another story...

And i almost once bought another verso, but someone bid more than me on that one :D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-10-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 537991)
Yes we do, the trailers fully loaded weight(what's the word for that in english?:D) is the number to go by. For example my trailer is 750kg no brakes. Almost every small car has tow rate around 400-500kg/no brakes and about 800kg with brakes.
Yes, i could get a smaller trailer for a smaller car but that's a another story...

I guess you were talking about the gross weight. BTW is it out of question to fit brakes into your trailer?

Quote:

And i almost once bought another verso, but someone bid more than me on that one :D
Are those Euro-spec or JDM?

iikhod 04-10-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 538138)
I guess you were talking about the gross weight. BTW is it out of question to fit brakes into your trailer?
Are those Euro-spec or JDM?

At the current financial state it is:rolleyes:
It would be easier to buy an another trailer with brakes, maybe cheaper also. But i'll manage with what i have at the moment, i don't know how eager the authorities are about the trailer weight.

And they are euro spec.
I don't know are there any/many jdm yaris versos in finland?
An toyota bb would be fun, some are even 4x4 and lots of simularities with the yaris verso :)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-14-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 538141)
And they are euro spec.
I don't know are there any/many jdm yaris versos in finland?

Not sure if there are any JDM FunCargo there in Finland, but at least one Finnish member of this forum is a JDM enthusiast and IIRC he still owns a JDM Celica.

Quote:

An toyota bb would be fun, some are even 4x4 and lots of simularities with the yaris verso :)
The FunCargo also had 4WD available.

justadude 05-31-2017 08:29 AM

Welcome aboard! I'm new aswell, but this forum really feels like home already. It's full of friendly people :D

iikhod 05-31-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 541535)
Welcome aboard! I'm new aswell, but this forum really feels like home already. It's full of friendly people :D

Thanks, and also, welcome :thumbup:
I've not been here long and have noticed the same thing, overall friendly people&atmosphere.