EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Guy - Hoon into efficiency (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-guy-hoon-into-efficiency-13622.html)

BLSTIC 06-20-2010 11:01 PM

New Guy - Hoon into efficiency

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and haven't actually done any economy modifications. I bought an air-fuel ratio meter (narrow band kit) and used it to dictate my driving style though, and I'm sure the 2.5" turbo back exhaust got me little more economy...

But anyway I have interesting ideas every now and then, most of them involve making a car immeasurable faster, wierder, or more efficient (then you get the odd one that involves taking over the world...). I haven't actually done any of these, but they do make sense to me and are normally technically possible.

Anyway, just thought I should say Hi, and warn you that some of the things you will read from me will be... odd...

Ben

Daox 06-21-2010 07:12 AM

Hello Ben. What do you drive?

BLSTIC 06-21-2010 07:51 AM

Well I've only had cars that can be regarded as grossly inefficient around town. In chronological order...

1996 Ford Falcon (4.0L 1550kg family sedan)
1998 Ford Falcon XR8 (Normally 1600kg 5.0L V8. But this one was 5.7, with a supercharger)
1990 Subaru Legacy GT (2.0 turbo AWD wagon)
1994 Subaru Legacy 250T (2.5 AWD wagon. This one was auto)
1999 Ford Falcon (4.0L 1500kg sedan)
1998 Holden Commodore (Current car. 3.8L Auto sedan. 1600kg)

Rather oddly the 4.0 falcons and the Commodore are well suited to my driving. All are capable of 6.5l/100km on the highway (most of my miles) and normally get 8 (I have hills to deal with). But they get 15l/100km at best around town...

The next car (when I get back to NZ) is likely to be a little more sane. Ideally a diesel corolla. I'm thinking about building something like this FuelVapor Technologies - fuel efficient vehicle automobile high mileage without the roof, but that's going to push my ability well past it's limit...

Daox 06-21-2010 08:01 AM

A diesel corolla sounds like a wonderful car. We don't get them over in the US unfortunately.

I wouldn't wast my time with the gas vapor stuff. You can do some searching on here to find out why it won't net you much of anything.

BLSTIC 06-21-2010 08:49 AM

The gas vapour bit wasn't the interesting thing to me (although they do claim to get their emissions results without a cat converter), more interesting was the fwd car turned into tandem seated tadpole trike. I was thinking about using an H22A Prelude or a B16A/18C Civic/Integra as the powerplant and front end. The B16A would be a more efficient engine (and it has a lower bonnet line), but the H22A just has so much more torque and is available a lot cheaper.

The problem with diesel in NZ is road user charges. The fuel might be 80-90c a litre cheaper, but there is an additional tax set at 4c/km for ALL non-petrol/LPG vehicles under 3000kg, regardless of economy. Effictively it adds 4l/100km (at current prices) to the fuel bill of a diesel.

cfg83 06-21-2010 11:03 AM

BLSTIC -

Welcome to EM! Sounds like you got lots of idearzzz. When you get your car I suggest you start by getting a baseline MPG (no mods or eco-driving). That way you will be in a better position to quantify the degree to which your mods work.

PS - I took over the world last month, but I ended up with buyer's remorse and auctioned it off for a loss last week (don't use ebay when you sell the world). I was planning to take over the moon, but that got shelved when NASA stopped the moon program. Taking over the world just isn't what it used to be.

CarloSW2

BLSTIC 06-21-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 180022)
PS - I took over the world last month, but I ended up with buyer's remorse and auctioned it off for a loss last week (don't use ebay when you sell the world). I was planning to take over the moon, but that got shelved when NASA stopped the moon program. Taking over the world just isn't what it used to be.

CarloSW2

Therein lies the problem. While you were in control of the world you forgot to eliminate all forms of money. Once you have done that, someone trying to 'buy' the world off you would have to give you something of actual value. You probably sold the world for about $300, whereas without money involved you probably would have been paid in land. I would estimate New Zealand would be a fair price, as it includes all the climates and do you *really* need a backyard bigger than most european countries?