EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   new here 1998 olds 88 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-here-1998-olds-88-a-32430.html)

zf>allison 07-23-2015 12:25 AM

new here 1998 olds 88

Not the most efficient car, however my new job has had me wanting to improve mileage, I'm driving roughly 150 miles a day. About 10 miles of 2 lane highway and the rest interstate. The first thing I did was try to buy a chevy sprint, but I got so excited looking at it and talking to the guy about it he kept the damn thing, my dad used to have one so I'm attached to the idea of owning one. But anyway my 3.8 v6 oldsmobile is bone stock so far, however after blowing a rear tire and switching to some riviera 16 inch wheels with smaller openings in the wheel and bigger tires just on the rear - stuff I had laying around, I noticed a gain In mileage. Which got my gears turning. I have had 2 consecutive tanks of 28 mpg and 28.2 mpg so a small goal so far is to hit 30 mpg, eventually 33 or 34 to beat my buddy's civic that gets 33 lol. I got the car cheap so its already paid itself off 100 fold. I'm very open to cosmeticley changing the car for improved mileage, lowering and air damn. Anyway just a bit about me. I think I'll blend in very well, I get alot of people shaking there head at my crazy ideas and theorys, sorry if I'm slow I'm a high hp diesel guy this gasser stuff is foreign to me lol. Thanks and I look forward to terrorizing my oldsmobile.

elhigh 07-23-2015 08:38 AM

One thing I've noticed about those H-bodies is that they are cartoonishly good cruisers. You wouldn't expect it but if you're on a long trip, they are extremely thrifty for their size, and decently thrifty compared to the midsize segment.

I think with some subtle aero and a little habit modificationyou have a really good shot at spanking your buddy's Civic.

I think the style lends itself to some rear wheel skirts, and of course your suggesed air dam will probably yield huge dividends. In fact the air dam is probably going to be the biggest bang for your buck.

Check to ensure that your torque converter lockup is working properly. No point spinning the engine any faster than absolutely necessary.

zf>allison 07-23-2015 09:08 AM

Air damn was gonna be the first, grill is almost shut as it is stock, wiper resess under the cowl, my antenna doesn't go down anymore, gutted cat good or bad? How do I check lockup?

aaron_sk 07-23-2015 12:18 PM

If the car has a tachometer lockup will be easy to see (you will notice the RPMs drop a few hundred at cruise). Otherwise you will have to tell by ear when the converter is locked.

I have had a few of the Buick 3.8L engines, both older ones and the style you have (Series 2) and I think they probably have the best economy to displacement ratio of any gasoline engine. As you have already seen you can easily do 30mpg without any modifications or hypermiling techniques.

Just a heads up: take a look at the intake manifold gasket. It's fairly thick and you will be able to see it between the manifold and the head. If it looks plastic pull it out and put the updated metal version in. It is a well known issue with that motor. Also it's worth doing the valve cover gaskets if they haven't been done recently. When they leak they dump oil onto the exhaust and the resulting fires caused GM to do a big recall back in the early 2000's.

zf>allison 07-23-2015 01:27 PM

It does have a tach, I'll look on the way home to see of it locks, I think it does I always thought it was hitting overdrive but it's probably the converter locking. It has stock sized tires on the front, I'll check the gasket to, I've heard about that problem before. Any thoughts on gutting the cat? I have a gutted one identical to mine so I can swap back of I have to, didn't know if it would rob torque or not. It runs about 2000 rpms at 70, I'll try 65 and keep the r's around 1800 and see what happends

roosterk0031 07-23-2015 04:09 PM

Hold the throttle steady at speed and touch the brake pedal it should unlock the TQ and see the tach jump then relock after you release the pedal.

zf>allison 07-23-2015 07:30 PM

Stays locked like a champ, car has alot of torque at 2k so very easy to maintain speed with a locked converter. Today I was trying to roll through stops and shutting the car down, gonna read up on the hypermileing a bit more. Text a guy about a swift and there's a chevy metro close to me cheap, but I wanna see what an air damn on the olds will do, any thoughts or threads on running slightly taller tire on the rear than the front? My thinking is it reduces drag but I'm a newb so I don't know.

ME_Andy 07-23-2015 07:36 PM

As much as you drive, get a Metro or Swift ASAP. It will pay off fast. You're spending about $240/mo on gas

zf>allison 07-23-2015 07:40 PM

Yeah I pay alot in gas, plus between me and the wife we pay about 400 dollars a month. But my brother rides with me so we split gas, so no extra stops. He lives with me, works with me, and we go to the same gym! so if I hypermile a metro and am splitting gas I'll have to find a place to keep on my extra money.

ME_Andy 07-23-2015 07:49 PM

Here's another idea for you: lease a Prius or something and use the gas savings to pay the lease. Then you won't have to worry about reliability

Edit: leasing won't work cause u drive too many miles. You need to find a fuel-efficient car with a monthly payment of like $150 or less. Maybe used