EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New here (with new Mitsubishi Mirage) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-here-new-mitsubishi-mirage-28963.html)

Hockeynut 05-16-2014 12:46 AM

New here (with new Mitsubishi Mirage)

Hello I just bought a new Mitsubishi Mirage last week and she only has 280 miles.It is the ES model simply because I wanted cruise and alloy wheels and along with that package came blue tooth but that does not matter here!

This is my first new car in over 15 yrs and so far am very happy...Was telling me on the way to work this morning I was averaging 54.2 mpg..cruising along at approx 59mph and the 3 banger was purring a bit over 2800 rpm`s.

Still trying to figure out this forum but if someone can lead me in the right direction for this car to get even better mileage I would appreciate it.

Thank you and have a good night,

Kronos 05-16-2014 01:48 AM

Welcome to the forum.

cowmeat 05-16-2014 07:40 AM

Pretty nice mileage, was that the instant mileage or the tank average?
What's your goal going to be with the car? You on here to chat, or are you looking to mod your brand new car, lol? If so, that's pretty hardcore!

Hockeynut 05-16-2014 09:39 AM

Hi cowmeat..I am looking for any tips to get even better mileage out of the car without voiding warranty.

Frank Lee 05-16-2014 09:41 AM

Top of the page- 100 Tips.

Daox 05-16-2014 09:41 AM

Welcome to the site. The Mirage is a VERY capable car mpg wise. Congrats!

cowmeat 05-16-2014 10:48 AM

First, add your car to the garage, and check out everybody's garage with the same car, some of them will undoubtedly have good advice for your particular car, and you can see their mods and view fuel logs and compare yours

I'd also set up a fuel log, (I also keep a Fuelly fuel log) to set your base mileage. Whether your car is automatic or stick, there are hundreds of tips on here to help you attain better mileage, and with the fuel log you can track your progress tank to tank. If you're brave enough there are many, many aero mods you can do, even to a fairly aerodynamic car

These guys all seem to swear by the Scangauge since a lot of their cars are compatible. I don't know what it costs since my car's too old to use one, but they talk it up a lot here, you might want to look into buying one

I just posted my own experience with EOC and P&G in a different thread, and I'm still learning the tricks myself, but I have to tell you, you landed in the right site if you're serious about getting everything you can out of your car

whatmaycome14 05-16-2014 11:18 AM

Welcome to the forum! You should be able to hit over 60mpg no problem after a few modifications...

Hockeynut 05-17-2014 01:29 AM

Hey thanks for the welcome guys...It is really cool to buy a car that is a good performer mileage wise and I will be doing some more reading around here on how to improve on what Mitsubishi has already put out!...

Hockeynut 05-21-2014 07:38 PM

I was not sure where to post this so I keep it right here in the same thread.

Gas....I have noticed in previous vehicles I have owned it makes a big difference what brand of gas I use when it comes to the best mileage..the gas from these stations that sell these burgers and subs and no name gas really suck it up and throw it out the exhaust pipe!...Now name brand gas wether it be Exxon,BP,Texaco would always last longer in the tank..

What are you hardcore mileage guys finding to be the best gas?..Does med or high test really justify the cost?

Thanks in advance for any input...btw I was averaging 55.2 mpg this morning on my way to work with the Mirage.

Hockeynut 05-21-2014 07:47 PM

It doesn`t look like there is anyone with a Mitsubishi Mirage in the garage cowmeat...Do I start a new thread?...I could have done something wrong.

Thanks.

user removed 05-21-2014 07:48 PM

I generally buy from WalMart. Yesterday they brought out their 15 cent a gallon discount for their card holders, $3.239 a gallon. I don't see any significant difference from one brand to another, pretty sure it all comes through the same pipeline.

That's 30 cents cheaper than the closest competitor to my house, enough difference for me to take my 3 @ 5 gallon cans with me the next time I fill the truck or Fiesta.

Rigt close to a buck for every 3 gallons or about 10 bucks a month off my normal $100 monthly gas expense.

regards
Mech

Rishar 05-21-2014 07:58 PM

I usually go with Holiday as I get a discount of 75 cents per fill.

I don't touch BP or Walmart out of principle. I'd push my car to the next gas station before supporting either company.

However, from the other places I've gone to, haven't really noticed much of a difference (if any at all). Only exception was once at a place that didn't get a lot of customers and the gas had actually gone bad...or something got mixed in don't know. That was a rough tank.

Just make sure to check what your car manual recommends you put in the tank. In my case, it says to use low grade and to not even put mid/high.

Hockeynut 05-21-2014 08:11 PM

was looking at post # 24 in the top 100 tips and I have a different experience..When going to work in the mornings with low humidity and the temps are in the 40-low 60`s I get the best mileage!..On the way home with high humidity and temps are in the 80`s I see a big difference in mileage..Usually drops down to 43-45 mpg..

user removed 05-21-2014 08:20 PM

The top of my driveway is 75 feet above sea level. Some of the places I go to typically are less than 10 feet above sea level. Predominately westerly winds here. I hit 58 going east one day and couldnt get past 42 going west. I though I had a tire going flat until I realized there was a 30 plus MPH west wind. Even the 65 foot elevation change in a 20 mile trip makes a difference.

Welcome to the forum, great choice of a new car.

There is a place in North Carolina without HUMIDITY!!!!!!!!

regards
Mech

NachtRitter 05-21-2014 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeynut (Post 425584)
It doesn`t look like there is anyone with a Mitsubishi Mirage in the garage cowmeat...Do I start a new thread?...I could have done something wrong.

Thanks.

Just add your own car to your own garage; at the top of the page, click Garage and then click Add New Vehicle (see image below):
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1400719498

Hockeynut 05-21-2014 09:04 PM

Thanks Old Mechanic for the info...I would not go so far as to say there is a place in North Carolina with no humidity but it depends on where you live!..Seems like once ya hit that I95 corridor and head east the humidity just slaps you in the face.Now I am much further west in the state in the Piedmont,Greensboro to be exact but we do not have the humidity as they do closer to the coast.

Surprisingly I can tell this far inland that the road is almost level to the average eye and which should be by all geographical reasons heading downhill getting closer to the coast..I say this because that is the direction I take going to work...Perhaps I will take a trip in the same direction on a day off and head back home at the same time I would normally head to work and see what the avg mpg tells me.

MetroMPG 05-27-2014 12:22 PM

Congrats on the Mirage! Did you go for the CVT or manual shift? (Didn't see it mentioned.)

I've test driven both, and they're very capable machines in the MPG department. Future EcoModder classics, without a doubt.

Mitsu did a decent job with the aerodynamics of the car -- 0.28 drag coefficient is better than average for this size & type of car. But there are still a number of easy things you could do to improve that. And much more improvement if you're not worried about making the car look "unconventional". :)

Welcome to the forum.

elhigh 05-27-2014 03:15 PM

I have never perceived any difference between fuels provided by no-name and branded gas stations, with the obvious exception of price.

The branded gas stations charge you more.

Hockeynut 06-07-2014 10:51 AM

I went with the 5 speed MetroMPG...Wanted to get the most out of the car mileage wise.

Mitsubishi recommends an oil change every 7,500 miles and I guess there engineers have all this figured out but I did not want to wait til the car has 7,500 miles on it before the first oil change...Currently have a little over 1,000 miles on it and decided to change the oil..Bought a Mobil 1 oil filter and 3 quarts of Mobil 1 0w 20.

First thing I noticed after I removed the original oil filter is the length of it was about an inch shorter than the Mobil 1 oil filter..I poked around and found this video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOo0JIhD04

Curious...What is the point this guy is trying to make about the different length of the oil filters?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.
Have a good day.

UltArc 06-07-2014 11:47 AM

For your gas question, I use 0% ethanol in my Mustang, and regular gas in my Insight (which I JUST got back last night!).

It does make a difference, but I can't accurately quantify it since the length of my tanks is so long (variables in weather between tanks) and modifications changing (difference in performance) combined with different trips. For example, the Mustang doesn't see much winter use now, but I have two winter highway trips to NC that helped me pull great numbers. So it's not really fair.

Hockeynut 06-07-2014 11:55 AM

I am not a fan of ethanol also UltArc...There is a few gas stations in the area that offer gasoline with no ethanol..1 is actually not out of the way and I may try that..Thank you for the reminder and I hope those pumps do not vanish.

UltArc 06-07-2014 12:04 PM

I hope so, too. The only one remotely near me is charging $4.499 a gallon. Thank goodness for good mpg keeping $/mile at .1.

pgfpro 06-07-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Curious...What is the point this guy is trying to make about the different length of the oil filters?
I'm not to sure what his point is but most factory turbo cars have a oil cooler on the oil filter housing. So they run a shorter filter then a N/A engine? He was for some reason trying to compare his Mirage to his Nissan turbo car????

The Other Andy 06-07-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeynut (Post 425582)
I was not sure where to post this so I keep it right here in the same thread.

Gas....I have noticed in previous vehicles I have owned it makes a big difference what brand of gas I use when it comes to the best mileage..the gas from these stations that sell these burgers and subs and no name gas really suck it up and throw it out the exhaust pipe!...Now name brand gas wether it be Exxon,BP,Texaco would always last longer in the tank..

What are you hardcore mileage guys finding to be the best gas?..Does med or high test really justify the cost?

Thanks in advance for any input...btw I was averaging 55.2 mpg this morning on my way to work with the Mirage.

Not sure how 'hardcore' I qualify as, but on both the Scanguage and my tank to tank calculations I've noticed jack squat as far as a difference between regular and mid-grade (even if the mid-grade was ethanol-free). I haven't noticed much of a difference between stations either, to be honest.

Frankly, I don't think this old Ford pushrod 3 liter really gives a darn about any of it. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeynut (Post 428476)
I went with the 5 speed MetroMPG...Wanted to get the most out of the car mileage wise.

Mitsubishi recommends an oil change every 7,500 miles and I guess there engineers have all this figured out but I did not want to wait til the car has 7,500 miles on it before the first oil change...Currently have a little over 1,000 miles on it and decided to change the oil..Bought a Mobil 1 oil filter and 3 quarts of Mobil 1 0w 20.

First thing I noticed after I removed the original oil filter is the length of it was about an inch shorter than the Mobil 1 oil filter..I poked around and found this video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOo0JIhD04

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.
Have a good day.

Interesting. I'd expect the opposite, as iirc manufacturers usually have a pretty beefy oil filter on brand new cars to catch anything leftover from the manufacturing process.

Congrats on the new car, and welcome to the forum!