EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   New Honda 700 built for economy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-honda-700-built-economy-20186.html)

sendler 01-20-2012 05:24 PM

New Honda 700 built for economy

Here's a new Honda 700 for those that feel the 23 hp CBR250R is not enough. The under square 73 bore x 80 stroke twin is tuned for efficiency and rated at 63 mpg which a good hypermiler should be able to beat. This bike should offer up a good challenge to the BMW singles which do so well on gas and they are priced right at around $7000. A trick, dual clutch automatic transmission is optional. Only the long travel dual sport is coming to the US. Other markets will also see a sport touring version with a more functional windscreen and a high performance step through since the fuel tank is actually under the seat.
2012 Honda NC700X Preview - Motorcycle.com

redpoint5 01-20-2012 08:20 PM

Could you actually put some knobbys on this scoot and take it off the paved trail, or would that punish the suspension?

sendler 01-20-2012 09:33 PM

Similar to a BMW GS, Versys, V-Strom. You might want a KLR650 instead.

pete c 01-20-2012 10:28 PM

drz400 might be a better option. a friend of mine who doesn't know what hypermiling is can get mid 70s with it.

sendler 01-21-2012 10:23 AM

The under seat fuel tank may seem like a good idea to someone but it is a complete deal breaker for any solo touring rider who would want a pack on the passenger seat. How do these bikes get so heavy? 470 pounds is more that the Ninja650. Too bad as this would be a great fuel efficient engine for those that find the CBR250R too small. I applaud Honda for their continued vision toward offering fuel efficiency in their efforts to promote motorcycles as a viable means of daily transportation.

sendler 01-21-2012 11:20 AM

Integra

2 Attachment(s)
The Integra is actually the nicest of the three with that engine for a highway commuter.

TedV 01-21-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 281179)
Similar to a BMW GS, Versys, V-Strom. You might want a KLR650 instead.

yeah, it looks more street oriented than a KLR, DRZ or BMW Dakar. I like the engine. the fact it is fuel injected, but really hate where they placed the fuel fill under the seat. I've had no complaints about my under seat fuel tank on the BMW after I rotated the tank fill flap 180 degrees to ease nozzle access. Ive heard of some KLR riders on the highway with heat of summer having vapor lock from boiling fuel in the tank over the engine. :(But having to shift the rear seat bag will suck worse than having to move a tank bag for a classic bike fuel up. :mad:

beatr911 01-23-2012 04:30 PM

I thought we were going to get the Integra. Oh well, guess this suits the adventure bike rage going on right now in the US. I also like the direction Honda is taking regarding fuel efficiency. Nice motor!

alvaro84 01-23-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 281241)
The under seat fuel tank may seem like a good idea to someone but it is a complete deal breaker for any solo touring rider who would want a pack on the passenger seat. How do these bikes get so heavy? 470 pounds is more that the Ninja650. Too bad as this would be a great fuel efficient engine for those that find the CBR250R too small. I applaud Honda for their continued vision toward offering fuel efficiency in their efforts to promote motorcycles as a viable means of daily transportation.

Seems a very interesting bike to me. I'd gladly try one. My only complaint is the weight. I really don't understand why it is so heavy. It's a good F650CS replacement other than that, has a place for a small pack without any extra too - a feature I've been missing on new bikes since the CS was discontinued.

And I'm really curious about real life FE of these bikes - both with basic users and hypermilers. I'm aware it won't ever catch a 125 with manual trans, but I'd like to compare it to my similarly strong (but definitely lighter) and practical thumper or a modern 250 like yours.

sendler 01-23-2012 09:42 PM

The Honda probably wouldn't quite match the fuel economy of your bike. Maybe a tie. Perhaps you can watch for some kind of Honda demo day near you so you could take one for a spin.