EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New hot rodder type (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-hot-rodder-type-27908.html)

bobesser 01-04-2014 10:47 AM

New hot rodder type

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on the site for a while and I thought I should post an introduction. I am Bob Esser. I am an engineer. I like interesting engineering challenges. I like fast cars. I like safe motorcycles (oxymoron?). I basically like anything with an engine. I usually track my mpgs for any vehicle, but, as much as a diagnostic as anything else.

I must admit, I don't like hypermiling and I don't think I will ever do it. I had a Mini Cooper JCW for a while. I tried laying off the gas for a couple of tanks. I did notice a 5% improvement in mpg, but, it was really unsatisfying to drive that way.

For hobby, I autocross my car. I used to do High Performance Driving Events when I had free time (before my son was born). I like driving sporty and technical.

I recently took a huge step backward in the mpg department as I moved from a MINI cooper JCW (28 mpg) to a BMW M3 (18 mpg). I had started a new job with a 90 minute commute each way (a couple times a week) and I found that my back/butt couldn't handle sitting in the MINI that long - the seats just didn't work for me in that driving cycle.

Revisiting the hypermiling and mpg topic, I like engineering challenges. So, while I don't intend to hypermile, I do like to modify my vehicles. If I can do so and improve mpg, that would be great. So, I can see myself doing mild things like underbody panels and partial radiator blockoffs, I don't anticipate boat tails and hypermiling experiments. (read as non-extreme engineering solutions, not behaviorial ones). By the way, if anyone knows where to locate 18" moon-eye type hubcaps, that would be great.

Bob

bobesser 01-04-2014 10:50 AM

Also, at what point do I cease to be a 'new user' so I can post my fuelly in my signature?

Bob

mcrews 01-04-2014 12:27 PM

5 posts

Welcome!
you might look at the posts in my sig.
You and I have similar ideas on how far we will go.....
(btw, all my mpg gains are with the climate control ON!)

Certainly air up the tires and think about upsizing on your next purchase.

California98Civic 01-04-2014 02:39 PM

Welcome. How are your fabrication skills? If you have fabrication experience and adequate tools for your tastes you might try an airdam (chin spoiler), side skirts, belly pan, defuser, rear wheel well skirts, and a flat trunk lid spoiler. with the exception of the wheel well skirts these are mostly low profile or "normal" looking mods. But to do them really well (read as effective AND attractive) requires thought and experience. All those mods interact with one another, so part off the work can be in the dialing in of the best effect, which is tricky or impossible with the low-grade measurement equipment we all have access to typically.

Daox 01-04-2014 03:27 PM

Welcome to the site. Good luck with your mods.

renault_megane_dci 01-04-2014 03:33 PM

Welcome aboard !

It is possible to drive fast yet efficiently.

P&G at 80 mph works ust as good as it does at 60 ...
Each to their own though ...

elhigh 01-06-2014 10:35 AM

Dude, seriously?

Welcome,

There are several BMWs listed in the garage. If your mileage results are that bad, it would make your ride the thirstiest Bimmer in the book. There are a few M5s listed that state a lower EPA rating, but evidently the owners couldn't be bothered to do more than just list their cars the one time.

If you're into elbows-out driving, I'll bet you're running some sticky tires. That's going to hold you back some.

Air control is your friend. The less of it actually banging into parts of your car, the better. Barring that, if you can shove it to the side once instead of having it bang and tumble and bang again, do that.

A driver unwilling to make compromises toward the goal of higher mileage is going to have very limited results. The M3 is an entertaining ride but really - how much of that capability can you use on your commute without getting lit up by the highway patrol? Shenanigans on the road = unpleasant introductions and giving your autograph to people you'd rather didn't have it.

If your car is on 18" alloys, will smoothie wheel discs even work? Gotta have that little rim for those clips to grab.

Open a garage page for your car. "M3" only tells us it's a 3-series with a gym membership. How old, what equipment etc.

bobesser 01-06-2014 11:11 AM

yes, seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 405888)
Welcome,

There are several BMWs listed in the garage. If your mileage results are that bad, it would make your ride the thirstiest Bimmer in the book. There are a few M5s listed that state a lower EPA rating, but evidently the owners couldn't be bothered to do more than just list their cars the one time.

Based on Fuelly, I am getting a bit better than typical on my car. The M3 is thirsty - no argument there, and it is sort of an anomaly in the BMW book because most of their offerings have fairly decent mpg.
Quote:

If you're into elbows-out driving, I'll bet you're running some sticky tires. That's going to hold you back some.

Air control is your friend. The less of it actually banging into parts of your car, the better. Barring that, if you can shove it to the side once instead of having it bang and tumble and bang again, do that.

'Elbows out'? not sure what that means.

The M3 has a partial underpanel on it from the factory. I think I can clean it up some, but, not much due to the exhaust and such. That said, I think I can at least put an airdam that is deeper and perhaps clean up some underside air near the front.

My fab skills are not great (for aesthetic parts at least). I would consider moon eye hubcaps and if I could make them look nice, I would do skirts.

Quote:

A driver unwilling to make compromises toward the goal of higher mileage is going to have very limited results. The M3 is an entertaining ride but really - how much of that capability can you use on your commute without getting lit up by the highway patrol? Shenanigans on the road = unpleasant introductions and giving your autograph to people you'd rather didn't have it.

As a rule, I don't drive like an idiot on the road, but, I do autocross, and I like to drive fast on closed courses - and then, I do use the capability.

I am very much a technologist, and I am sure that there are technological solutions. I do realize that behavioral changes will net very good results too. For me, hypermiling kind of sucks the joy out of driving, but, if behavioral was the only way, people wouldn't be on here putting extended tails on cars and such. Also, I like to mod and fiddle with stuff, so, mods seem the natural way for me.

Quote:

If your car is on 18" alloys, will smoothie wheel discs even work? Gotta have that little rim for those clips to grab.

Open a garage page for your car. "M3" only tells us it's a 3-series with a gym membership. How old, what equipment etc.

I also am not sure if smoothies will work on the rims, but, it is worth trying. The M3 is the 2008 M3 Sedan, so, it has the 4.0 V8 (thirsty). It does have the fancy suspension, so, (I think) it is about 10mm lower from the factory. Unfortunately it is difficult and thus expensive to lower it and keep the electronic suspension, so, additional lowering may not be in the cards.

Bob

renault_megane_dci 01-06-2014 02:59 PM

If you want to gain on the efficiency of the vehicle alone without ruining it then it's a combination of weight saving and aero improvement.

Aero improvement can be more involved as far as looks is concerned (potential ruining)

Best bet is lightness and reasonably narrower tires.

bobesser 01-06-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci (Post 405920)
If you want to gain on the efficiency of the vehicle alone without ruining it then it's a combination of weight saving and aero improvement.

Aero improvement can be more involved as far as looks is concerned (potential ruining)

Best bet is lightness and reasonably narrower tires.

I strongly agree with adding lightness.

Bob