Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
JD-
EcoModding Lurker

Rod-o - '03 chevrolet silverado ls
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Just another Newbie here.

Hey yall names JD I drive a 03 silverado with the 5.3 and the auto trans truck is bone stock with over 120,000 miles. I'm getting respectable mileage with no mods just a smart right foot. I use this truck daily running parts for a local ford dealership. Just wondering what mods yall would suggest whatever i do needs to keep the ol girl looking good as it is my office.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Do the basics first, cold air kit with K&N filter, high flow exhaust, synthetics front to back. A set of underdrive pullies to slow the accessories down. Change to Evans Coolant to equalize the temps in the motor ( some cylinders do run hotter than others in the LS engines and this will help with that ). Aerodynamic cap for the bed, lower the suspension ( look at what Big Dave did with his Ford ).

I talked to dpTuner to see if there are big gains in programming, but the way the LS engines are tuned from the factory, they are tuned to the edge with the knock sensors backing the timing out when necessary ( where Fords are the opposite, they are tuned soft, so modifying the timing curve picks up the mileage quite a bit ). LS engines are really, really good out the box and have some of the best cylinder heads ever made, so the ignition timing requirements are not as high as with the older small blocks.

Since you use it for work, and if you don't carry high loads, find the lowest numerical ring and pinion available for the rear differential. Moving the engine speed down 300-500 rpm plus your good driving will help.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
JD-

Welcome to EM and tell your right foot, Great Job, !!!

In terms of good looks, I think mcrews spends a lot of effort keeping a balance, and also look for bondo's threads. He makes a primo aerolid (but maybe only for Fords right now?!?!?! ) :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...lid-10604.html

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread