EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   New to hypermiling (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-hypermiling-23064.html)

breetel03 08-25-2012 09:27 PM

New to hypermiling

Hello, I just got into hypermiling. I drive a 1985 automatic 4 door hatchback Toyota Tercel, and I would just like some tips about hypermiling with a automatic, Hypermiling with this car, things I can do to the car to help it with gas. Basically I'm a complete noob and need to know anything and everything that can help. I have read through the 109 hypermiling / ecodriving tips. Oh and whats better windows down ac off or windows up ac on? If AC is on resurculation or flow through?

Thank you!

GRU 08-25-2012 10:24 PM

at highway speeds most people say it's better to keep the windows up and cycle the a/c on and off as needed. If the outside air is cool i like to crack the window open a little and not run the a/c. in the city i use the a/c only when slowing down or when in neutral, always off when accelerating.

California98Civic 08-26-2012 12:19 AM

Welcome! Study the lists of hypermiling tips and mods at the top of this page. None of us will be able to say it better. But here's my list of free and easy first favorites: pump up tires, remove excess weight inside car, slow down your cruise speed on highways to speed limit or somewhat below, shut the car off at lights or stops where you would need to idle for more than 30 seconds. Start a fuel log here at EM; it may help motivate you and it'll help track your progress/challenges and such.

Recirculate AC and cycle it on/off like GRU says (if you use AC at all). When Mythbusters tested the AC vs Windows Open they found that the AC was better than windows fully open at speeds over 50mph (IIRC). But they didn't test one or two inch cracked-open windows. I just crack the windows, without AC. I also sometimes run the fan at low speed. That keeps me "cool" enough on all but the hottest days. But I have always disliked AC, anyway.

Gealii 08-26-2012 10:06 AM

Agreed with what the others say
-I prefer not to use AC it just always seemed to get to stuffy to me, i prefer using flow through vents or rolling down solo window ( manual windows )
-Adjust your driving habits for ecodriving ( drive slower, dont speed )
-Pump the tires up to max sidewall
-Get a gauge for monitoring mileage ( being a 1985 i would get either a mpguino or a vacuum gauge )
-Weight reduce ( uneeded items, back seat if no1 is ever back there, etc )

The main things that dont require any visual modding

wolfpuppy 08-27-2012 02:17 PM

New...2005 Cobalt 67 miles each way every day...

Started last week, drove this car in my driveway on Friday afternoon at 42 mpg according to the dashboard digital monitor. Assuming it is correct, that is pretty good for a car rated less than 30 highway mpg...

I drive from Lake Los Angeles in LA county to Van Nuys, drop 2000 feet going and climb same amount coming home. Results depend top some extent on traffic, of course, but so far very encouraging. This is with driving practices only, no modification to the car at all. Does anyone know if the computer for this car can be "tuned" at all to enhance mileage? Just curious...

Gealii 08-27-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpuppy (Post 324200)
Started last week, drove this car in my driveway on Friday afternoon at 42 mpg according to the dashboard digital monitor. Assuming it is correct, that is pretty good for a car rated less than 30 highway mpg...

I drive from Lake Los Angeles in LA county to Van Nuys, drop 2000 feet going and climb same amount coming home. Results depend top some extent on traffic, of course, but so far very encouraging. This is with driving practices only, no modification to the car at all. Does anyone know if the computer for this car can be "tuned" at all to enhance mileage? Just curious...

Make sure you do your math at the pump, many people on here have proven there computer mileage wrong. As far as the computer the newer the car the better your chance of having a chip to help produce power in certain bands to benefit ecomodders.

wolfpuppy 08-30-2012 04:34 PM

Second week nearing Friday...actual gas usage confirms that we are getting at least what the gauge says, I will complete 10 trips at 67 miles each or come VERY close, but not going to try to run it dry either way, again car is rated about 30 mpg and we are consistently getting 134 mile roundtrip Lake Los Angeles to Van Nuys, CA at 42 mpg, no mods, just changed driving habits--2005 Chevy Cobalt w/ 2.2 engine, 5 spd stick. Very cool.