Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

new guy

i have a 93 ford f 150 300 6cyl and gmc 6.5 turbo deisel in a suburban. i would like to know if any one has any input on chips for the 93 f150 that will improve mpg. i am interested in burning my own and also doing it for the suburban. i would also like to know if any one has messed with using the heat fron the exhaust to generate steam to return the power to the drivetrain. ive been trying to this with a small turbine but making a turbine so far has been quite a challenge.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have some good technical know-how and the tools to use them.

I'm sure there is some improvement to be had with an MPG optimized chip. With your ability to burn your own I'd guess you'll have to experiment with timing and mixture to get some significant gains. Most of the MPG (gas) chips I am aware of advance the timing, requiring use of higher grade fuel therefore negating cost per mile improvements.

The the heat recovery idea has been tried (by BMW I think) but I don't know if it is still part of thier plans for production vehicles. It generates steam to power an electrical generator instead of the engine driven alternator. Quite a challenging endeavor to be sure, one that is beyond most of us here.

For the low, hanging fruit though, there are many proven improvements that can be made for little or no investment. Take a look at the 65+ Efficiency mods on the banner at the top of this site.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Car Guy

Red Skate - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 37.98 mpg (US)
Welcome - yours sounds like an interesting project!

Reply  Post New Thread