Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Car Ramrod - '96 Dodge Ram SLT
90 day: 15.16 mpg (US)
What did I get myself into... 98 Ram 5.9L ecomodding

So I recently found myself stuck with my full size truck and having to drive 20 miles out to school 4 days a week. I considered purchasing a smaller truck, a economy car, or even a motorcycle but honestly I cant go more than a week with out needing a 8' bed or having to tow something. I also thought about buying a second vehicle but after doing the math it would be cheaper to just keep my truck rather than add a car payment, more insurance, +that cars gas. Long story short I've begun reading up on improving my FE and have started modding and driving accordingly.

So heres what I've got to work with...

1996 Dodge Ram SLT 5.9L V8 2WD Auto, before ecomodding I averaged about 13.5 mpg. My long term goal is to be able to hit 20 mpg . This tank I began driving more conservatively and experimenting with different hypermiling techniques to the extent that an auto can. I also began trying to areo up my 3 ton brick...

Heres pics of what I've got so far. Grill block and passenger mirror delete.

On the front, I blocked the top sections of the grill will with sheet aluminum and the bumper with clear tape. The tape's only temporary until I can think of a cleaner way to block it. I also used copper pipe insulation to block the gap between the hood and bumper as well as between the headlights. The mirror cover is another piece of sheet aluminum and I am going to paint it to match the truck tomorrow.

This is just a start to my modifications. I also I plan on doing a full belly pan, adding a tonneau cover, replacing drivers mirror with something more areo, removing antenna, switching to an electric fan and of course getting a scanguage. I only have 50 miles on this tank (30 gal ) so its too soon to tell how much this is helping but I'm hoping to be at about 17mpg+.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Good luck with it!! My brother has caught the bug from me on his 93 F150, straight 6. He has it to almost 20, 15 with a trailer. So if he can get that you should be fine. Scangauge would be the very first thing I would purchase for that truck. It will tell you instantly and keep numbers as high as possible. Look up an Aerocap on here. Or Big Dave he has a F250-350 he gets high numbers with. And Welcome to EM, you will become addicted.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Longer air dam?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Vue - '03 Saturn Vue
90 day: 25.34 mpg (US)
I Pulled off 21.7 MPG's with an F250 (V8, dunno displacement) from work on a 200 mile trip recently.

Truck had alot of weight from tools in it too, it literally coasted forever. I'm wondering if more weight = better mileage in more powerful vehicles cause it makes them hold their momentum/coast longer.

207 miles on 9.5 gal or something like that

Old 07-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Slowing down will be your friend in that monster. I'm sure if you keep to the speed limit or just under you should hit your numbers with no issues.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 07-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Be careful towing with the grill blocked, make sure you keep temp on your scangauge if your towing so you don't overheat the engine/tranny
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Check out this thread on bed covers:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ckup-3996.html

Air up those tires.

Remove the step bars.

Lund makes a wiper cowl that might help a little. Maybe. I'm not sure about that lip at the top. What do other modders think?

I think I'd trim the lip off.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Car Ramrod - '96 Dodge Ram SLT
90 day: 15.16 mpg (US)
Thanks for the advice guys.

As for towing, the truck has a tow package which includes a tranny temp sensor and warning lights. Plus the block is removeable so I can just yank it off if there are any cooling issues. So far so good though in a 95+ midwest summer.

As for the tires, they are at 36psi and their max is 35. How far over the max can you take tires like these?

Do you really think removing the step bars would make a noticeable difference? There hidden behind the front tires and are pretty aerodynamic. I dont need them to get into the truck but I do kinda like how they look.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GMC Sonoma - '94 GMC Sonoma
90 day: 36.97 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourigjm View Post
...I'm wondering if more weight = better mileage in more powerful vehicles cause it makes them hold their momentum/coast longer....t
The power of the vehicle does not matter. But the fact that you have to carry the same weight UP a hill before it can help you go down, does. And if you are referring to just level ground, you have to accelerate all that weight before it can hold any momentum.

More weight also increases rolling friction, also regardless of the vehicle's power. Unless you go down hill more than you go up (not possible on a round trip), more weight always means poorer FE.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_eskimo View Post
Thanks for the advice guys.

As for the tires, they are at 36psi and their max is 35. How far over the max can you take tires like these?

Do you really think removing the step bars would make a noticeable difference? There hidden behind the front tires and are pretty aerodynamic.
Awesome. I literally chortled with excitement to see your truck here. I really feel where you're coming from - it's a weird week when I don't need a large portion of the bed of my truck. Fortunately, I don't generally carry heavy stuff so I can get by without a fullsize.

I adhere to the tire manufacturer's rating - if your sidewall says 35, that's where I would quit. I have 44 on mine. The ride is a bit jitterier than before, but it pays at the pump.

Since it's a 2x, you can lower it a bit without damaging your load capacity, but check how it affects your towing before proceeding. Barring that, there's always the fender skirts and like the other guys said, more air dam.

I think if you add insulation to your exhaust system you could put a bellypan under the vast majority of your truck - cover everything except the driveshaft.

A tonneau would help you, but a kammback cap like Aerohead's would be even better. I've really got to build one. I bet I'd break 40 if I had one.

Big Dave drives a F-350 and is racking up a consistent 26mpg+, and he's got more engine and generally just heavier components than your ride - if he can get that, there's no reason at all why you couldn't break into the 20's.

As for the steps, they're not as sleek as they look - they're adding a lot of turbulence you don't need. Pop them off and add rocker extensions to fair out the turbulent flow coming off the backs of your wheels, and keep excess air from drifting under your rig to add more drag.

And hey, it ain't my site, but welcome!

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread