EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   New Invention. Electric assist. Comments? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-invention-electric-assist-comments-4205.html)

Arminius 07-31-2008 07:25 AM

New Invention. Electric assist. Comments?

What do you guys/gals think about the invention shown in the link below?

Fuelpup Table of Contents Page

bikin' Ed 07-31-2008 08:35 AM

Sounds Good

It sounds like a good idea to me, but there sure isn't a lot of detail offered on the site. That part scares me. I also question the belt drive bing enough to motivate my 4000 lb. sled reliably.

Daox 07-31-2008 08:57 AM

I'm no EV expert by far, but it looks like those motors are way too small to handle the necessary current to move even a smaller vehicle let alone a Jeep. Several members have considered similar devices mounted various ways. The idea is sound, but that product doesn't look good IMO.

trikkonceptz 07-31-2008 11:05 AM

I don't think this system is intended to push a vehicle on its own, simply to provide assistance to the gas motor while in motion. I see no reason why this wouldn't work in fact, since I do not see any kind of controller included it is probably regulated to provide X number of rpm's giving a small boost in any gear, for us possibly a better boost when EOCing or neutral coasting.

Wish I had $1500 of disposable income to give it a try, if for nothing else to improve on it if it falls short.

Bad News; It seems to be a solution for RWD vehicles only as it is part of the drive shaft assembly.

tjts1 07-31-2008 11:14 AM

LOL
2 starter motors with a belt around the drive shaft. I could whip up a setup like that for $100 including the machine work. It doesn't mean you're going to save any gas.

dremd 07-31-2008 11:17 AM

I like the Setup, I'm thinking that those are beefed up starter motrs, or Wheelchar motors . . . .

I'm a little ticked it's patented . . .

co_driver 07-31-2008 12:03 PM

Reading the patent <http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7271555/fulltext.html>

There is a reference to 1.5hp motors that *can* be found for e-bikes (and have been used with higher voltage supplies).

Interestingly (numbers referencing a schematic drawing):

"Electric motor 44 is supplied with operating current by one or more batteries. A first battery 52 may be the usual lead-acid storage battery that provides power for a starting motor (not shown) for internal combustion engine 12, which is conventionally located in the engine compartment of vehicle 10. A second battery may be an auxiliary gel battery 54 located in the vehicle 10 at a place other than the engine compartment, as for example in the trunk of the vehicle. However, it is preferable that the existing battery be upgraded to a high output gel cell. In some circumstances, especially for heavier vehicles, the second gel cell placed in the trunk of the vehicle should be a high output gel cell. Preferably, the alternator used in the vehicle should have an output of 100 amperes or more, achieved by replacement of the alternator, if necessary."

Could one patent the plug-in option for this? (sorry, I don't have the $10k+ for a patent application... and Toyota probably has it already)

steensn 07-31-2008 01:44 PM

This has to be crap. Why would you use alternator power to assist the gas engine. You are taking energy through 4 transitions with all the losses involved to throw it back inas an electric assist. If you power it from a second battery you charge... it MIGHT work for acceleration but it will never work for steady state highway driving. You car will still burn the same amount of fuel no matter what speed you are going if you have the transmission engaged to the wheels and engine.

cfg83 07-31-2008 02:07 PM

Arminius -

Good find. It will be interesting to see if it pans out. I am a huge believer in RETROFIT solutions because we can't change the makeup of the existing American automobile fleet overnight. Ecomodder is all about retrofitting.

bikin' Ed -

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikin' Ed (Post 49524)
It sounds like a good idea to me, but there sure isn't a lot of detail offered on the site. That part scares me. I also question the belt drive bing enough to motivate my 4000 lb. sled reliably.

Yeah, I agree. It sounds like a smaller version of this :

Electrocharger / Retrofit Hybrid :: Sigma Automotive
Quote:

The ELECTROCHARGER is powered by a Super Capacitor Battery Pack (SCBP) that is located in the trunk of the vehicle which provides juice to the motor instantly on demand. When not adding power to the engines crankshaft, the ELECTROCHARGER switches to generator mode, thereby maintaining the SCBP at it's full State of Charge (SOC) and providing power for the vehicle electrical system. If the SCBP should become depleted, then under normal driving conditions, the SCBP can be charged back up in as little as 8 minutes, but this is unlikely due to regenerative braking. An optional stand-alone charger is available if your into drag racing and need a faster charging time without cruising around.
The above version looked like a "truck only" solution because of it's size. And, it never seemed to get out of the R&D stage. It's been "in development" since 2004!!!!! :

Quote:

Sept 1st, '04: Electrocharger will be unveiled at the '04 SEMA Show in Las Vegas on a '05 Pontiac Vibe GT courtesy of GM & the Pontiac Division.
What I like about the fuel pup is that it *looks* like it would fit in my car. The $1500 price is a bit less than what I expected the Electrocharger to cost.

CarloSW2

vtec-e 07-31-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steensn (Post 49636)
This has to be crap. Why would you use alternator power to assist the gas engine. You are taking energy through 4 transitions with all the losses involved to throw it back inas an electric assist. If you power it from a second battery you charge... it MIGHT work for acceleration but it will never work for steady state highway driving. You car will still burn the same amount of fuel no matter what speed you are going if you have the transmission engaged to the wheels and engine.

I agree, but what IF you used a turbo alternator. This has yet to hit mainstream but it would work. However, i'd lose the belts and go with direct drive, which means more expensive motors etc. but it's a step in the right direction. I like it.
In order to reach a solution that works, we'll have to endure lots that won't.

ollie