EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   New Jersey Meet Up (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-jersey-meet-up-7638.html)

SVOboy 03-27-2009 06:25 PM

New Jersey Meet Up

I thought I had posted this before, but I guess not. Who wants to meet up somewhere in new Jersey? I'm in Burlington County just off turnpike exit 5.

Eh?

:turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle:

Drive Stick 03-28-2009 10:23 AM

I'm in Phillipsburg, NJ which is a little known town for many reasons, but anyway if I get to know some people on here a little better I'd be willing to meet up / talk / hang out / brainstorm etc.

metroschultz 03-30-2009 09:46 AM

If you head south a little,
Cape May perhaps,
I could meet as well.
Think about it.
S.

i_am_socket 03-30-2009 11:54 AM

Or up north off of I78, then I could make a trip...

SVOboy 03-30-2009 03:19 PM

Hmm

Tricky tricky. I don't know where anybody lives. Where do we think the most central location is?

Daox 03-30-2009 03:41 PM

Use the frappr map and PM people close to ya.

Wonderboy 03-30-2009 05:12 PM

I would definitely be willing to meet up with other NE members. I added myself to frappr and had a look, and NJ is a seemingly central place relative to members (at least those shown on frappr). Although I'm sure many of us are up for the challenge, there is a quagmire of traffic and 9324 traffic lights every mile pretty much anywhere in NJ that isn't a state park. As for being central to most people, I was thinking anywhere around the triangle created by phila. baltimore and harrisburg. As for congruence to hypermiling ideals, I think we should pick someplace less traffic-ridden, some weird place like Lancaster, PA or something. Just my 2 cents, but I certainly wouldn't complain if we did go big like philly. I love that city. (@ SVO, if you haven't been to Horizons yet, YOU NEED TO)

Too bad the Tour De Sol doesn't seem to be around anymore :( because that was right in burlington. That would be a perfect time and place to meet.

Ultimately, I'd be willing to drive anywhere within a 300 mile radius, just throwing in some alternatives to consider.

Drive Stick 03-30-2009 05:42 PM

I don't know what this map is, but I live off route 22 30 seconds from Easton PA. This would be considered, North western NJ. 78 is few mins from me.

metroschultz 04-01-2009 12:18 AM

North West NJ?
Huh??
My mom lives in Morris County, on Lake Hopatcong. 07849.
If we meet up in that area I have a place to stay for free. :D

Drive Stick 04-01-2009 12:09 PM

North western NJ, would be correct, haha. see nobody knows where I am :P

Lake Hopatcong is probably about an hour from me? Thats north central NJ, and I'm down and to the left on the deleware river.

i_am_socket 04-01-2009 12:43 PM

Link to Frappr map thread

Lake Hopatcong could work...

SVOboy 04-01-2009 02:02 PM

That's ~2 hours for me, I could do it.

Wonderboy 04-01-2009 02:12 PM

2.5hrs is fine by me

metroschultz 04-03-2009 01:11 PM

Hey,
I'm not hosting. ( and my mom is surely not)
I live in Virginia.
I was only saying if you go north in the state or head for the Tri-State area. (NJ, NY, PA). I have somewhwere to stay for free.
Some one else needs to be in charge and I will attend.
Gives me a reason to make my yearly trek to visit my mom.

For a moment it semed as if you wanted me to host it on the lake.

Whew!!!!!!!.

glad we cleared that up.

i_am_socket 04-03-2009 02:21 PM

You sure you don't want to host? ;)

I can just image the phone call: "Hey, I'm coming up on XX. You don't mind if I show up with a dozen random people from the internet, do you?" "...."

Ok, so that general area seems to be reasonable for most of us to get to. Anyone have any suggestions on a more specific location?

metroschultz 04-03-2009 04:41 PM

Yeah my mom would love that.
I'm thinking her answer would be;
"!!!HAVE YOU LOST YOUR FU..ING MIND!!!"
BTW she lives on Espanong Road,
Two houses from the lake.
There is a state park on the lake and another Camping park up the mountain.
I learned to drive on that lake in 1975
It was frozen solid and my Grandfather took me out there to let me get some hands on and quit pestering my dad.

Tygen1 04-04-2009 06:09 PM

I'm in south Jersey, probably about 2.5 hr's for me, I'd be up for it, but it's all going to depend on the weekend, etc... I've been wanting to do a trip sometime to see what my car will do with mostly highway miles.

Drive Stick 04-04-2009 08:15 PM

It's funny, none of us minding driving far as heck because we all want to put our highway mpg to the test, haha.

This is the ONLY forum where you will find people who are trying to save gas, so eager to spend some! Thankfully, none of us really waste that much no matter how far we drive in our econo-cars.

SVOboy 04-04-2009 10:49 PM

We could have a little competition to see who gets the best mileage on the way there!

(hint: I bet I'll win, ;))

Tygen1 04-04-2009 11:16 PM

You haven't seen my new magnet and grappling hook set up have you ;)

Yes it is ironic that I wouldn't mind spending a little gas to prove how much I can save :D

i_am_socket 04-06-2009 11:35 AM

Hopatcong State Park looks nice, and Allamuchy is only a little further down 80, but I don't know about the parking situation there. Anyone want to start throwing out availability dates?

metroschultz 04-08-2009 10:32 AM

I'm good any time except the last two weekends in July.
Going to the Second Annual EcoModder Palooza in Beautiful downtown Ashtabula Ohio.

Wonderboy 04-08-2009 12:02 PM

Availability: I don't expect to be unavailable

Meeting place:
I looked a little more into the park situation, and it looks like an entrance fee is required to get into Hopatcong. Luckily there are several more parks nearby, of which I'd consider using two: Stephens State Park, and Schooley's Mountain County Park.
Stephens State Park
Schooley's Mountain County Park

I would chance it for getting a pavilion to use in case of rain (just show up and hope no one is using it), but that's just me - they can be reserved. Those two parks are close enough from each other (~8mi) that we could go to the other if one were occupied.

Although it is farther from the highway, I am leaning toward Schooley's because it looks like a more interesting, more "naturely" park. Though when push comes to shove, it's still in the middle of New Jersey. :D

i_am_socket 04-08-2009 12:22 PM

Yeah, end of July - beginning of August I'll be on my honeymoon; unless you want to meet up in St. Lucia? ;-) June is fairly open for me except for a triathlon one Sunday.

McTimson 04-14-2009 11:05 AM

I didn't even see this thread...

I'm definitely willing to make a road trip to NJ for this. I'm free any weekend after May 15th, and I'm coming from the same area as Wonderboy, so I think middle NJ is the farthest south I'd go.

Wonderboy 04-14-2009 11:40 AM

Here is another option if we wanted to be able to go out to eat without much of a fuss:

Morris County Park Commission Tourne County Park

This park is pretty large and encompasses a few other parks (which also includes reservable picnic shelters. Nearby Denville is home to a restaurant (Cafe Metro) of coincidentally appropriate nomenclature, and in-coincidentally appropriate fare that would accommodate the more "picky" eaters among us (including myself), but not ward off the sensitive stomached or ethnic-cuisine-wary.

I don't necessarily advocate for this, just something else to brainstorm about. I would personally lean more toward a potluck thing, but that would indeed raise the question of who can or is willing to eat what... Are we willing to take that into consideration? Food and the circumstances by which it arrives at the table is a huge part of me and my life, and it may not be as big of a consideration to someone else, so I'm willing to put that aside for this, as it's a forum/meet up about ecomodding, and how prominent food's role is in this will be up to how everyone else feels.

In general I think we should have a poll about where and when this will happen - starting that now will give plenty of time for people who don't log on every day to give their input and find out about the event.

SVOboy 04-14-2009 01:26 PM

As for me, I am free anytime but mid may until mid july :)

SVOboy 04-16-2009 09:07 PM

So guys, when're we doing it!?

Wonderboy 04-16-2009 10:48 PM

I'd wager to guess that late july would be best for everyone based on what people have said in this thread and the fact that many students (I'm not one of them) are still busy in early may. I still think we should have a poll on this.

SVOboy 04-17-2009 12:14 AM

Eh, let's forgo a poll and say late July. That will give everyone time to get their acts together.

i_am_socket 04-24-2009 09:51 PM

So by late July you mean early July or late August? ;-P

Tygen1 04-26-2009 09:37 PM

I think SVOBoy should just set a date and we'll all try to make it...

SVOboy 04-26-2009 10:05 PM

August 7th!

SVOboy 08-01-2009 01:59 AM

So, when're we gonna do this thing!?!?

Wonderboy 08-02-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 100597)
August 7th!

SVOboy 08-02-2009 04:23 PM

I just made that up a while ago, I'm not dedicated to it if it troubles anyone else...Plus, I've not heard back from anyone yet :p

Tygen1 08-02-2009 10:39 PM

Aug. 7th is a Friday... not so good for us working class fellas...
However, I'm up for whatever, just need a little notice to get everything in line...

SVOboy 08-02-2009 10:51 PM

Yeah, let's not do it next weekend since that's too soon (I need to wax my car for you guys!), how about the weekend after, that of the 15-16th?

Tygen1 08-03-2009 12:33 PM

That sounds good, I have a wedding the weekend after.

Now where is it going to be? Of course I'd perfer a location in SoJo... :) but I'm willing to drive a bit, might be nice to have a hypermilling convoy :D

SVOboy 08-03-2009 12:40 PM

People had been talking about someplace north of trenton. Really doesn't matter too much to me :)