EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New and looking for a car!!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-looking-car-25479.html)

Lukeb22 04-06-2013 02:37 PM

New and looking for a car!!!

I'm new to the hypermiling and currently have a 02 vw gti. I am currently in the process of selling it and want to start a hypermiling project.

My question is, What car do some of you suggest as a good car to start with?
I have been looking at crx hf models and some civics. I don't want to spend more than $2500 on a starter car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MetroMPG 04-06-2013 05:03 PM

If you can find a CRX HF in your budget, go for it! There are more than a few active members around here with them getting really good mileage.

Civic VX is a great highway cruiser (light load lean burn is its secret MPG weapon).

Avoid the sportiest Civics as they have the shortest gearing (not good for highway MPG).

Welcome to the forum.

Flakbadger 04-06-2013 05:08 PM

Welcome!

Metro's got great suggestions, but don't forget about Saturns. Pretty cheap and easy to repair.

War_Wagon 04-06-2013 08:01 PM

Rust free Arizona eh? Your selection of old Hondas makes me jealous. Flak has a good point too, Saturns are dirt cheap, easy to work on, parts are cheap, and they are decent to drive. Just like old Hondas lol. Welcome to the site. :snail:

JRMichler 04-07-2013 09:33 PM

Another cheapo car to consider is the Chevrolet Aveo. Based on my recent experience driving one, I would expect MPG in the low 40's in stock form with an automatic transmission, and low to mid 50's with a stick and some low cost mods.

Lukeb22 04-11-2013 12:14 AM

Thanks for the info guys. There has been a change of plans in the last week. The boss (aka my wife) thinks I need something with a backseat for my kids, even though I have a truck I use when I have the family with me. So I been looking at civic hx and some tdi's instead of the crx hf. My budget of $2500 has gone up slightly based on the sale of the gti. Hopefully I can get between $3500 and $4500. Thanks again and I will post more when I get a buy a car. Any more info would be much appreciated.

Enki 04-11-2013 12:52 AM

Any reason you are getting rid of the GTI? You should be able to squeeze it for some efficiency via tuning and other methods, if mileage is your only concern.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-11-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 365549)
Another cheapo car to consider is the Chevrolet Aveo. Based on my recent experience driving one, I would expect MPG in the low 40's in stock form with an automatic transmission, and low to mid 50's with a stick and some low cost mods.

I like the Aveo, altough its A/T is too limited regarding fuel-efficiency. But getting a stickshift one in America might be not so easy at all...

Enki 04-11-2013 01:04 AM

Might be able to transplant a transmission though. Cable shifters can largely be mounted wherever you want and adjusted pretty easily to work properly.

Lukeb22 04-11-2013 01:30 AM

The gti I bought 2 years ago is a 1.8T . I have to put the premium fuel in. Plus when I bought the car it was already APR tuned, cold air intake, exhaust, and an upgraded intercooler. I figure just sell it and get a better fuel efficient car. With the apr tune its hard to stay out of the boost even if I try. Last time I figured my mileage it was at about 25 city and that was the best I've had. As I was researching mpg on my vw, I came across ecomodder and started looking at the mpg's people were getting from their cars. I figure its just easier to sell the gti and start over instead of trying to put the gti back to stock setting. Another reason is parts for the vw is expensive. The only vw I want in the future is a tdi.