Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Front plate alternatives

California requires front plates and the only vehicles where they don't mess up the front aerodynamics have huge flat bumpers, like SUVs or trucks. Are there any states which allow stickers or even painted on numbers instead of front plates? I believe the primary reason California requires front plates is so that they can identify the car at a red light camera. Personally I'd be perfectly happy to put a sticker on the front bumper, or even the roof, with letters twice as high as the ones on my front plate now. These could be like "rock blockers", so no adhesive and no damage to the paint.

Maybe we should try to convince Arnold (and the other front plate states' governors) to push through an alternate plate number display ordinance, as an emergency measure to save gas? I mean, it makes a lot of sense - the states end up with more cars than now with "front plates" and the drivers would save on gas, at least on the highway.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
front plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena_commut View Post
California requires front plates and the only vehicles where they don't mess up the front aerodynamics have huge flat bumpers, like SUVs or trucks. Are there any states which allow stickers or even painted on numbers instead of front plates? I believe the primary reason California requires front plates is so that they can identify the car at a red light camera. Personally I'd be perfectly happy to put a sticker on the front bumper, or even the roof, with letters twice as high as the ones on my front plate now. These could be like "rock blockers", so no adhesive and no damage to the paint.

Maybe we should try to convince Arnold (and the other front plate states' governors) to push through an alternate plate number display ordinance, as an emergency measure to save gas? I mean, it makes a lot of sense - the states end up with more cars than now with "front plates" and the drivers would save on gas, at least on the highway.
Yeah pasadena,since the Governator is all about green now,maybe the State House and Senate could do some retro-legislation,deleting the front plate in the name of Clean Air Act Satandards, and in response to President Bush's comment about America's addiction to foreign oil.Perhaps you can do a form letter mass- mailing to Sacramento.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
I don't think California requires front plates. Just the rear.

Positioning of Plates

Quote:
5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground
And I've seen people just stick the front license plate on their dash so its still visible outside through the windshield.

Just don't block the plate from sight as said here

but there is this caveat which runs counter to the first code I listed:

Quote:
Display of License Plates
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
So I guess just asking someone in authority or an expert in your region's laws and see if its ok to just translocate the front plate to the dashboard. I really couldn't find it in the vehicle codes that said it was not allowed but I've quoted things that are a little confusing/counterintuitive.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 07-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I think the premise that the front plate ruins aero is faulty.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
just use it to partially block the grill

two birds one stone

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

- - '10 Toyota Prius III w/Navi
Hi All,

Like Vince said. On my Prius I used J hooks in the holes of the plate, and hooked into the top edge of the bumper above the grill. I used 2 nuts on each nut, so the plate cannot slide backward up the bolt. Along with the interferance of the grill against the shank of the bolt and the plate, they plate is well secured.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
im from ct and they require it for everybody but motorcycles, my plate helps me out since i use it as a partial grill block.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Vince-Hx -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-HX View Post
just use it to partially block the grill

two birds one stone
By Your Command :

Before :

After :

But Frank has a very good point. It's arguable that the mod won't gain you anything.

I have heard both things regarding California law. I think you won't get pulled over for having your front plate on your dash, but you'll probably get grief if your pulled over for something else.

I was thinking of using reflective-backed numbers that match the size of my license *and* match the reflectivity of California plates (by shear accident) *and* leaving the front plate on my dash. Even though I would be exceeding the spirit of the law, it's been argued that I would be accused of "counterfeiting" the plate, so I didn't do it.

I have also seen "Euro-plates" in LA, which are narrower and therefore easier to fit onto a bumper.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
Today I remounted my front plate lower and with two black plastic mud flaps I now have a complete lower grill block. I still have the 3/4" factory gap between the bumper and hood. Today it was 95 degrees, I drove my 30 mile commute home from work and the temp stayed the same. Next mod will be to lower the car approx. 2". 50.1 mpg and gaining.

Reply  Post New Thread