Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
I'm here to learn!

Shadow - '01 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2 LS
90 day: 18.18 mpg (US)
Newbie from Minnesota

Hi all! New guy here checking in from the upper midwest. I have been a lurking guest here for about 6 months now and decided to join. I started absorbing information here after becoming tired of my lifted ZR2 Blazer returning terrible fuel milage. While I did love the look, and the versitility of the truck it was basically a big wind plow. My city fuel milage was in the 10 to 11 mpg range, and highway was not much better. Additionally after spending a great deal of time on the road I realized I very rarely went off road.

I decided this spring to begin the process of trying to get the best milage per tank out of the truck I could. I pulled off all of the external accessories such as the roof basket, spare tire mount, front pre-runner bar, most of the external HAM radio-scanner antennas I have, and a number of other things that assisted in creating drag. The next item on the list was to get rid of the noisy, knobby tires I had. They were replaced with a much lighter, and quieter street/all-season tire that made a huge improvement in milage. I switched to a larger (15 inch to 16 inch) aluminum wheel that is a bit lighter than the factory S10 wheels. While it was not much, I ended up reducing the rotating mass on each corner by about 5 pounds, and reducing the over all profile of the tires. There has been some tuning on the ECM that is still a work in progress. I recently fabricated a new front bumper, and added a lower valance to try to clean up the air flow under the truck, and I have lowered the truck about 5 inches from where it sat.

Anyway, long story short I have had a huge improvement it my milage, my city has gone from 10-11mpg to 17-18mpg (with improved driving conduct) and my highway best to date has been 24.03mpg. I will share some pictures when I have reached the appropriate post level

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
You're off to a great start, welcome aboard !
Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Welcome to EM!

It sounds like you are on the right track, have you looked through our wiki of mods and user results?

Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder
Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm here to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Welcome to EM!

It sounds like you are on the right track, have you looked through our wiki of mods and user results?
Thanks for the link! I have spent a bit of time swimming through the info there today. Lots of good stuff there.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm here to learn!

Ok, now that I have a few posts under my belt. Here is my trucks before and after:

Second one is a bad cell pic, I appologize for the quality.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Young Grass Hopper

My blue topaz Cruze - '12 Chevy Cruze 1LT
Nice looking truck

Reply  Post New Thread