EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New member in Minnesota (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-member-minnesota-12680.html)

al_capwn 03-20-2010 07:07 PM

New member in Minnesota

What's up??

I live in the north metro area of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. I'm a 25 year old white male and for most of my driving career i haven't really cared about fuel efficiency. That is... until i got hired at a job which has a 725 mile monthly commute. Not the most anyone has ever had to drive to work, but the most i've had to drive. My daily driver was an Audi with a V8 netting about 22 MPG, averaged with premium fuel. This winter i bought a beater vehicle to get me through the salty roads, so i could store the Audi. it was a pickup ('93 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V8) which got about 13-15.2 MPG with a light foot. the fuel costs from that caused me to consider a less expensive way to get around... and now i have just recently traded the truck in towards a 2001 Saturn SC1. And now, with a multiple car discount from my car insurer and savings in fuel economy, i have shaved a little over $200/mo out of my monthly budget just by using a fuel-efficient vehicle as my daily driver! this has really motivated me to research aerodynamics and "out-of-the-box driving techniques" and have set a goal of 50MPG, averaged, for the SC1. I have ordered a ScanGaugeII from this site but they are on back-order and it will not be shipping until March 29, 2010. I hope to be sharing my results and ideas with you all as they develope!

later...

Frank Lee 03-20-2010 07:23 PM

You know the drill for MN! Block heater, grille block, and I'd recommend engine blanket too.

ex-x-fire 03-20-2010 07:31 PM

Howdy neighbor, is that Saturn a 5spd? I was reading here about a 5th gear swap that helps out mpg, I can't remember the years it covers. But they said it could be done while the trans is still in the car. Make sure your engine temp. is normal, I've replaced alot of t-stats on saturns for poor mpg & little heat, they like to stick open causing long warm ups & cooler operating temps.

tim3058 03-20-2010 07:47 PM

welcome to the site al

al_capwn 03-20-2010 10:02 PM

yes its the SC1 with a stick, from what i've read it already has the mp2 gears. i plan on fabricating a grille block, the cooling system sucks away too much heat. i have yet to read anything about engine blankets though... and yes i had low temps and high idle, replaced the thermostat last weekend.

WannabEG6 03-20-2010 11:48 PM

welcome, I'm from north of the metro too!

cfg83 03-21-2010 03:11 AM

al_capwn -

Welcome to EM! Yeah, you're already optimum with the MP2 tranny you have. Make sure to visit saturnfans.com for normal care and feeding of your SC1. The SC1 is a great car for MPG, and the most aero-slippery of the S-Series bunch.

CarloSW2

Angmaar 03-21-2010 11:14 AM

Welcome to ecomodder!

al_capwn 03-21-2010 12:12 PM

thanks for the warm welcomes, i think the first thing i need to do is check my speedo accuracy.

TomO 03-22-2010 10:47 AM

Welcome aboard, what city do you live in, if you don't mind? Between Shags and Me you're close to one of us, lol.