Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

DX Sedan - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
Lightbulb New here w/ 96 Civic DX sedan...Getting 380-420 Per Tank

Hi everyone,

I guess you can call me a wannabe hyper-miler with my 96 Civic DX sedan, 5-speed.

I pump 91 octane Chevron gas (noticed that I average ~50 miles more per tank than with 87 octane);
I shift like a granny at around 3k RPM;
I draft large trucks when I can;
And coast to red lights, etc.

I've been averaging around 380 miles/tank, and twice I've pulled 420 miles/tank! And I do this math based on a log I keep using my trip odometer and taking note of how many gallons/price.

I read recently that coasting in-gear rather than in-neutral will save you more gas. Is this true?

Based on my own observations, I've already done 200 miles since my last fill up and my gas gauge is still above 1/2 tank, whereas it's usually right at 1/2 tank @ 200 miles.

Enlighten me, Eco-Modder Gods!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAHEEM View Post
I pump 91 octane Chevron gas (noticed that I average ~50 miles more per tank than with 87 octane);
You'll have to calculate whether the 91 octane is more economical for you - or take the price hit if you want to consume as little fuel as possible.

Quote:
And coast to red lights, etc.
What do you call "coasting" ?
The term is used in many different meanings ...

We use it to describe coasting in neutral, or use EOC (Engine Off Coasting, rarely also EOffC ) or EOnC (Engine On Coasting) to differentiate from EOC.

You still with me ?

Engine off coasting has effects on steering (powersteering quits instantly) and brakes (powerbrakes gone after a few dabs at the brakes) - so this is something that everyone should try and decide for themselves, wether they want to EOffC with a particular car.

I don't EOC because steering on my car becomes utterly heavy (far heavier than any non-assisted steering I've ever come across) and the brake-assist is gone far too quickly.

Quote:
I've been averaging around 380 miles/tank, and twice I've pulled 420 miles/tank!
Good to see you can get a 10% increase already - but as tank sizes vary, it's more convenient to use MPG

Quote:
I read recently that coasting in-gear rather than in-neutral will save you more gas. Is this true?
No, it's not.
It may appear so, as the fuel is cut off when you release the throttle while staying in gear.
That's OK ... when you have to brake anyway.

When you coast in neutral, you'll coast a whole lot further than when you're using engine braking.
(Some auto transmissions are now shifting into neutral when the throttle is released to improve economy.)

You'll have to look a whole lot further ahead when coasting in neutral, will have to start coasting from further out, and/or start from a lower speed - all compared to engine braking or "coasting in gear" (which isn't really coasting).

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (10-25-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread