EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Member from Oklahoma! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-member-oklahoma-23478.html)

Boscosz28 09-28-2012 03:07 PM

New Member from Oklahoma!

Hello All. Wanted to stop by and introduce myself. Been lurking around for some time and finally desided to register and get serious with squeezing some MPG's.

My background, has always been things that go fast, burn expensive fuel, and are typically very expensive. I've desided to go green so to speak, and get into something for a reasonable price, that will net much better numbers than anything else I have.
Currently in the garage.....
2000 FRC - 753rwhp
2003 Lifted/Supercharged z71 (4x4)
1992 F-150 (daily)

Obvioulys,...none of them get over 20mpg. The vette..maybe doing 65 in 6th..

All my friends think I have lost it, but I think its the other way around.
Looking forward to researching, learning, and building.
If any of you reading this has a nice VX you are thinking of selling, please speak up. I believe that is the platform I have desided to start with.

Cheers!! :)

MetroMPG 09-28-2012 04:08 PM

If you mostly cruise on the highway, and are OK with keeping your speeds moderate (<65) to take advantage of lean burn mode, a VX is indeed a great platform to work with.

Lots of members here have speed & POWAH (!) backgrounds... racing, drifting, etc. Some have left that world behind entirely; some just want to save their expensive-to-drive toys for the weekends and want something more efficient for day-to-day use.

Despite what your friends may think (at first), there's a lot of overlap in the skill set of modifying & driving a car for efficiency and modifying/driving for speed.

Welcome and good luck with your search!

PS - a 1st gen Insight (manual tranny) is a great platform too - it's a "super VX": light, aerodynamic, lean-burn engine, tall gearing. Even with a dead hybrid battery it'll kick any other car's butt, MPG-wise.

Boscosz28 09-28-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 330713)
some just want to save their expensive-to-drive toys for the weekends and want something more efficient for day-to-day use.

Nail on the head.

I find the idea extremely interesting! Thanks for the tip on the Insight. Seems to be just as hard to find one of them out here as a VX. But..the hunt is half the fun! :thumbup:

scivicblu83 09-28-2012 04:30 PM

:thumbup:it is nice to have a vehicle that provides insulation from the gas prices, and still have toys! nice collection by the way, you have the on and off road genre covered nicely, welcome!:thumbup:

Jakins 09-28-2012 06:37 PM

i saw the speed-mpg charts on one of the corvettes here. looks like if you keep it under 40 miles per hour you can get some super sweet mileage.

Boscosz28 10-01-2012 10:38 AM

Yes! My stock (c5) corvettes always got great gas mileage for v8's. My c6 and c6Z06 didnt get as good. But the c5's on the highway could get 35-37, sometimes slightly better. At least the 6 speed cars could. My current one gets ~15-17 in the city... :(

Jakins 10-01-2012 11:11 AM

Jesus tap dancing Christ, if I knew they got that good of milage before, I would have done that swap instead of my vh45 swap.

Boscosz28 10-01-2012 11:14 AM

I wasnt into squeezing MPG's then, but the last c5 I had got routinely 35-36. Big thing was keeping the R's down. In 6th you could do 55mpg at sub 1300. :)

Boscosz28 10-20-2012 11:06 PM

Well the search for a vx that wasnt on its third motor swap... Proved indefinitely harder than I had thought. Being a domestic car guy only for so many years, I didn't realize how big the civic/Honda scene in general was. Every nice hatch I would find was modded or trashed. But happen to run across a nice 97 hx coupe (5 speed of course) with 140k miles, for $3000. Seemed like a great deal for the miles. Owner was a manager of a parts store, and seemed to take very good care of it. Guess we'll see how she does as is on her first tank!

turbovr41991 10-21-2012 10:36 AM

welcome to the forums. VX's are pretty rare but do pop up. You also might want to look for a D15B swapped car. There is a shop here in OH that plans on selling finished eco cars with this engine. The hope to have numbers on their cars within the next month.