EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   New name: EcoDriving (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-name-ecodriving-3669.html)

NeilBlanchard 07-10-2008 08:42 AM

Greetings,

In response to comments made in another thread, I'd like to propose a new name for what we all are doing:

EcoDriving

Or, possibly:

EcoMiling

I think that either one is more accurate in communicating the way we drive. They are more positive in tone, and do not have the negative connotations that "hyper" does.

What do you think? If you agree, please feel free to just start using them -- the more, the merrier!

MetroMPG 07-10-2008 08:54 AM

Ecodriving is actually an established term. It just happens to be used more in Europe than in North America.

Daox 07-10-2008 09:01 AM

Yeah, I use ecodriver and hypermiler interchangably. Hypermiling just caught on because it sounds flashy.

SVOboy 07-10-2008 11:30 AM

Yeah, you'll notice ecodriver is in the name of the forum, :). However, I would gladly support a shift in the way we talk about it to use that word more. Perhaps we can give people the option to choose in their garage whether they want their signature image to say hypermiler or ecodriver.

groar 07-10-2008 11:50 AM

When I heard about ecodriving the first time I found several european web sites with a few (never more than 10) advises, but enough to have a good way to save gas.

After a few searches I found american web sites with the hypermiling term and tons of advises.

In my point of view, the big difference between them is that an ecodriver will never do EOC or drafting, ie things that is not safe in between all hands (*).

So for me ecodriver and hypermiler don't have the same meaning.

As an ecodriver's FE will not be as good as an hypermiler's FE, may be the term ecodriver could be put with EPA+10% < FE < EPA+25%, and hypermiler (or master ecodriver for people who doesn't want the hypermiler term) for FE > EPA+25% (or the current percentage).

Denis.

(*) I don't say EOC and drafting are dangerous when best hypermilers are doing it. I say that these techniques are dangerous if you don't have the good technique and didn't trained yourself enough before using it on the road.
Currently I don't have a good feeling with these techniques so I will not practice them, nor use them.

Lazarus 07-10-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar (Post 42761)
When I heard about ecodriving the first time I found several european web sites with a few (never more than 10) advises, but enough to have a good way to save gas.

After a few searches I found american web sites with the hypermiling term and tons of advises.

In my point of view, the big difference between them is that an ecodriver will never do EOC or drafting, ie things that is not safe in between all hands (*).

So for me ecodriver and hypermiler don't have the same meaning.

As an ecodriver's FE will not be as good as an hypermiler's FE, may be the term ecodriver could be put with EPA+10% < FE < EPA+25%, and hypermiler (or master ecodriver for people who doesn't want the hypermiler term) for FE > EPA+25% (or the current percentage).

Denis.

(*) I don't say EOC and drafting are dangerous when best hypermilers are doing it. I say that these techniques are dangerous if you don't have the good technique and didn't trained yourself enough before using it on the road.
Currently I don't have a good feeling with these techniques so I will not practice them, nor use them.

Yes this is the way I look at it. The term hypermiler was coined to lable a %over EPA. It has morphed and been tagged, fair or not, with the advanced techniques such as EOC, drafting, hyperinflation etc. If you are using these techniques, in the general public eye, you are a hypermiler no matter what your EPA number is. Changing the name and keeping the techniques does nothing except bring the stigma onto eco-driving.

Since the intent of % over EPA is no longer the driving factor I think define the driving by techniques and not by EPA.

atomicradish 07-10-2008 09:35 PM

I'm going to stick with hypermiler. The reason being, my primary reason for driving conservatively is not to save the environment or to be "eco friendly". I drive conservatively to save money. I consider the ecological benefits to be an added bonus.

MetroMPG 07-10-2008 09:41 PM

Ah, but don't forget "eco" could be short for "economic" too

Johnny Mullet 07-10-2008 10:09 PM

I rather use the simple term we all know...........

Ecomodder

groar 07-11-2008 05:03 PM

I love the "drive smarter", so I propose "smart driver" ;)

In fact I was thinking about opening a french forum (but anyway this will not be possible before winter...) and I thought about "roulez malin", which is close to "drive smartly".

Denis.