Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

New member, long time lurker swfl

I've been following a few threads here and there, mostly the centurion build which is finally done! yay

I first stumbled upon this site when I couldn't make my first attempt at fuel economy work. That was a hydrogen generator for supplement.

Fast forward a few years and I now know that if I were to retry that I'd need to lean the gasoline slightly to see any gains, even if I could get it to work.

I'm not new the automotive repair, I spent five or so years in tire mounting, repair and basic pm.

If anyone feels I may be able to contribute to something they're working on, feel free to private message me.

Also, if you have something to add to anything I've posted on, feel free to constructively criticize. I can take jokes too, we all need a little fun in our lives.

On to the vehicles I own/drive.

I daily a 1988 crx si with a 2000 civic d16y8 engine and stock si trans. The car has been converted to obd1 and I have a seperate socketed ecu with realtime tuning capabilities and datalogging that I haven't been able to work out just yet.

I've had a few issues derived from crome freeware. I really need/want to upgrade to neptune/demon or hondata s300 but just don't have the cash at the moment.

I have an 89 crx si with a b18a1 and long geared trans which I believe runs as well if not better but gets better econ. The chassis unfortunately has seen better days.

Lastly I have a 1998 mercedes c230 which sadly cannot get any aeromods since it's my business car and has to remain presentable.

The mercedes is fortunately the one new enough for a scan gauge which will help me with the driving hypermileage aspect.

I would like to build an mpguino for the other two, but with the repair issues I've been having with both, it's hard enough to just keep them going.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome. Post some pics!

I have the 1998 d16y7 plain jane without vtec or vtec-e. You seem to love the sport trim civics. I can picture each of those cars. Love 'em. Why so many? Maybe convert one to your fuel sipper? Maybe the '88 crx? Build an MPGuino for tracking FE, add a vacuum gauge to allow p&g and DWL, swap for the taller geared HF tranny of the same generation for great cruising mpgs... Just thinking outloud. .
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I found a rebuilt si trans and a dx gearset. I will put the rebuilt in so I can rebuild the current with the dx gears. Unfortunately ive been searching for an hf or even a vx a d just can't find one. Ive been dwl lately and png occasionally but I really need to get the other si going with those long integra gears.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave View Post
I found a rebuilt si trans and a dx gearset. I will put the rebuilt in so I can rebuild the current with the dx gears. Unfortunately ive been searching for an hf or even a vx a d just can't find one. Ive been dwl lately and png occasionally but I really need to get the other si going with those long integra gears.
At the risk of telling you stuff you already know, here is the list of gear ratios I compiled from factory manuals and online sources a year or two ago: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post378478 . You'll see the fifth gen CX had the same gears as the VX ... I swapped a 93 CX gearbox for my 98 DX coupe. What are the ratios on the Integra? And they are direct bolt-ups onto the Civic engine?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Iirc the vx and cx are hydraulic clutch trans. The crx uses cable. My 89 has a b18 from an integra, different bellhousing but 90-93 integra has cable clutch also. Im not sure what the teg ratios are but definitely not the same rpms on the freeway as the stock si.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave View Post
Iirc the vx and cx are hydraulic clutch trans. The crx uses cable. My 89 has a b18 from an integra, different bellhousing but 90-93 integra has cable clutch also. Im not sure what the teg ratios are but definitely not the same rpms on the freeway as the stock si.
Check out a 4th gen HF trans, federal spec... I think it was a 2.95 FD. And the Cali spec was like 3.25, just like the fifth gen CX/VX trnas. But the HF had a taller fifth gear too. Tall tall tall.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Welcome razordave - I'll second the call for pics.

Also: post up garage entries for your cars. Going to keep a fuel log?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Unfortunately the odometer doesn't work on the crx. I've been using my gps to monitor speed but it's too old to conveniently track mileage. I've got a couple photos in my other thread but ill get some in here too

Reply  Post New Thread