Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

openBMS – Centralized BMS Project

I ran across this project today, it is an open sourced centralized BMS project;
openBMS Project

It utilizes a Linear Technology LTC6802-2 Battery Monitor IC that measures 12 cells in series, the PCB has a stackable architecture for expansion.

I picked up a copy of Davide Andrea’s book “ Battery Management Systems for large Lithium-Ion Battery Packs “ In his BMS IC comparison, the Linear Technology LTC6802-1 & 2 is recommended for large battery packs.

-Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to sawickm For This Useful Post:
MikePDX (01-15-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Andrea's book is excellent. We used it in our EV2 engineering course at Portland State last year and it's a keeper.

I created the labs for that course, including a 4-cell Arduino LiFePO4 CICV charger and BMS. Our lab's cells were all over the map after the previous term of cell abuse under my first try at a BMS, before Andrea's book came out. I found that a loop of (charge until the first cell reaches Vmax, resistive balance, repeat) worked well.

I'm new here so I can't post the PSU link, but if you Google "psu ece410 ev1" you'll find the EV1 and EV2 class sites. The lab designs still belong to PSU but after this term we're going to get them turned into open courseware or some open-source form.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikePDX For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (01-15-2012), sawickm (01-16-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread