EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   New record distance! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-record-distance-14334.html)

PaleMelanesian 08-25-2010 10:50 AM

New record distance!

I just beat my distance record! Thanks to an excessively hot summer, among other things. It took 7 weeks of commuting, 10 miles at a time. I started with the tank topped off until gas was sitting in the filler. I ran it down until it sputtered and died. A gas can (2.000 gal) in the back got me to the station for the rest of the fill.

1133 miles
13.751 gallons
82.4 mpg

Mods:
Grille block - smooth upper, 3/4 lower to leave a little airflow
Tire pressure - high ;)
Mobil1 5w20 oil
Scangauge
Battery trickle charger. Too much EOC runs the battery down. 0.74 kwh for the tank.
A highly adjusted nut behind the wheel. :p

Techniques:
P&G EOC
conserving momentum
light timing
route selection
low speeds
low rpm shifting
parking at the uphill end of the lot, facing downhill for a rolling start (I enter at the top, so I just stop there)
NO AC

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/dash_sm.jpg
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...anGauge_sm.jpg
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/receipt_sm.jpg

Weather Spotter 08-25-2010 11:19 AM

Good for you!!!!

I just wish I could get that high. I might have to try it some time....

Daox 08-25-2010 11:25 AM

Incredibly impressive. :thumbup:

I've probably asked before, but what is your commute like?

PaleMelanesian 08-25-2010 11:37 AM

My commute:
10.6 miles total, 3 stop signs and 5 lights.

~3 miles of back country 2-lane with rolling hills, some steep enough to require 4th gear. 35-45 mph limits. 3 stop signs, very little traffic.

~4 miles of 3+3 lane 55 mph, with 3 lights. Traffic can be busy, but with three lanes, I have freedom to drive as I please.

~4 miles of 35-45 mph suburban 4-lane, 2 lights.

Work is slightly lower elevation than home, so my morning trips are a bit better. 90 mpg vs 83 home.

It's a pretty good route. There is a shorter route, 9 miles, but that's all 55 mph 2-lane. I have to drive faster for traffic. I can get 70 mpg on a good day. The longer route uses less gas as well as letting me push some ridiculous numbers.

NeilBlanchard 08-25-2010 11:43 AM

Holy cow! That is awesome!

PaleMelanesian 08-25-2010 11:48 AM

Thanks guys!

The Scangauge was a little high this time. I believe it's the E10 that messed up the calibration. I've been running straight gas, but we just lost that option in this area. :( 83.9 on the gauge, 82.4 actual.

I'll likely not be pushing it this far again any time soon. My mpg drops at the end of a tank. It gets tricky to restart the car, due to poor fuel pressure, so I use more engine-on coasting instead of off. The tank was at its highest of 84.8 mpg 100 miles earlier. If I can't beat the distance, it's better for me to fill sooner and use less fuel. Also, less possibility of stressing the dry fuel pump.

skyl4rk 08-25-2010 01:07 PM

Very impressive tank, a great accomplishment!

brucey 08-25-2010 01:21 PM

That's incredible numberage man.

One thing though, I think the scangauge might be properly calibrated. If I top mine off all the way to the filler cap (I do this for 500+ mile trips) the scangauge calibration% will read a bit off because you essentially filled up what it sees, and then filled up the gallon or so extra in the filler neck and whatever else you could squeeze in the tank, instead of the first click that it usually sees.

Anywho, that's amazing, 1100 miles from a nearly stock civic is a testament to how much driving style changes mileage.

PaleMelanesian 08-25-2010 01:29 PM

My previous two tanks were also topped off and run down to dry. 1108 and 1114 miles on those. I used the same pump even, only now it's dispensing ethanol. My calibration hasn't changed in over a year, and it's been accurate or 1/2 mpg lower than actual, until now.

Piwoslaw 08-25-2010 03:02 PM

Good job! :thumbup:

NachtRitter 08-25-2010 03:26 PM

:eek: :thumbup:

Truly incredible!! Awesome job! Can I borrow your commute for a while? ;)

MetroMPG 08-25-2010 03:35 PM

7 weeks is a long time to whittle away at a record tank :)

Congrats on the discipline & the results!

euromodder 08-25-2010 05:36 PM

Excellent work ! :)

3dplane 08-25-2010 07:56 PM

Awesome! This is the kind of story that motivates most of us to do better!:)

autoteach 08-26-2010 12:09 AM

great mileage! I guess that I wouldnt get in the habit of running my vehicle out of gas (it will cause some problems down the road). I know I dont have the patience for that type of driving.

bestclimb 08-26-2010 01:43 AM

If I am ever in Texas I am going to stalk you and learn all your secretes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 190627)
I'll likely not be pushing it this far again any time soon. My mpg drops at the end of a tank. It gets tricky to restart the car, due to poor fuel pressure, so I use more engine-on coasting instead of off. The tank was at its highest of 84.8 mpg 100 miles earlier. If I can't beat the distance, it's better for me to fill sooner and use less fuel. Also, less possibility of stressing the dry fuel pump.

I have a "hesitation" on restart when down below 2 gallons left. I have to bumpstart and let the engine stabilize a bit longer before I can let the clutch out and pulse again. If I bumpstart then let the clutch out right away the engine will die for an instant.

SvdM 08-31-2010 12:50 PM

Impressive stuff...

PaleMelanesian 08-31-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestclimb (Post 190808)
I have a "hesitation" on restart when down below 2 gallons left. I have to bumpstart and let the engine stabilize a bit longer before I can let the clutch out and pulse again. If I bumpstart then let the clutch out right away the engine will die for an instant.

Exactly the same thing I have. It takes mine about 10 seconds for it to stabilize.

If you key off and on, wait 3 seconds, off-on again, it will help to prime the pump. As you get lower on fuel, repeat more times.

NachtRitter 08-31-2010 02:26 PM

Thanks... will try that... the VX behaves identically...

5speed5 09-02-2010 12:00 PM

Wow. Very impressive numbers! Great job!

2003protege 09-27-2010 07:22 PM

I need a trickle charger. Have any recommendations?

Also, how often do you actually key-start the engine? I've come to the realization that I should probably try to roll/bump start as often as possible when running the battery down to such low levels ('til I get the charger).

VegasDude 09-28-2010 04:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Amazing. Just amazing. Further proof the driver determines the mileage, not the car or the EPA. But it helps to have a Civic. I had a 5 speed '97 LX a few years ago. It had a few dents, I wanted something nicer, so I got the Altima. I'm wondering what my numbers would be like if I kept it. The extra 1.9 liters in the Altima don't get me to work any faster.

I just checked and I only saved one picture of it :(

My only concern is running the tank to empty, or near empty, may result in premature fuel pump failure. :confused: Without singling out any car builders in particular, I know it can be a major problem.

PaleMelanesian 09-28-2010 09:08 AM

Trickle charger: I got a cheap one at Harbor Freight for under $10. It does the job for what I need. Going alternatorless would require more charging, so you'd have to get a good one. Daox just tested a couple: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post193639

Vegas: Great picture! That looks just like my car. Same engine and trans, too. (I don't have the sunroof, spoiler, clear taillights, backup lights, rims, etc) With what you're doing in that Altima, you'd be scaring me with your numbers. ;)

About the fuel pump, I share your concern. I only run it low when I can get a distance record. That means I did so on the last three tanks. Now, however, I'll be filling sooner. Cooler weather and morning school dropoff duty are knocking my numbers down a notch. If I can't get a new record, why push it so far?

HaiRuiDe 10-03-2010 04:47 PM

Fantastic!!

Thats some good drivin there!!!

HaiRuiDe 10-03-2010 04:51 PM

Dumb question...

Now why are you trickle charging? Are you running alternator less? I am new to this stuff and tryin to take it all in... thanks!

PaleMelanesian 10-04-2010 10:50 AM

When I do a lot of EOC (engine off coasting), the battery runs down a bit. All the time the engine is off, the alternator is not charging the battery, but the lights and ecu are still drawing power. I trickle charge to keep it topped off. A couple cents of electricity is cheaper than a couple dollars of gas to leave it idling for the coasting parts.

wildfire8 10-04-2010 12:38 PM

1.5 Watt Solar Battery Charger

I have one that is a 1 watt. And have never had any problem with low charge. Once left a light on in my car and went to start it and noticed it was on and turned the key and it started right up. I got mine for $10 - $15.

AntiochOG 10-13-2010 05:11 PM

Wow, I am truly impressed you can squeeze that kind of mileage out with so few mods. I'm going to have to start doing some engine off coasting.

euromodder 10-13-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiochOG (Post 198757)
Wow, I am truly impressed you can squeeze that kind of mileage out with so few mods. I'm going to have to start doing some engine off coasting.

Start with the engine on ;)

Before you go coasting with the engine-off, check out your car's remaining braking capacity.
Power steering quits right away.
Power brakes fall away more gradually, but the brakes can get very hard to operate unassisted.

The original Miata isn't too heavy, so braking unassisted might work.
On my car the brakes get rock-hard quite quickly and stopping distances are greatly increased - the reason I'm not even considering engine-off coasting.

PaleMelanesian 10-14-2010 09:13 AM

Good points. My power steering gives very minimal assist, so there's little difference between on and off. Brakes - I have about four good pumps available in mine, and I can still stop it without the boost too. It does take more effort from me, but the brakes stop the car just as well. I would advise testing it out so you know what to expect. If I know I've used the brakes three times (one more and it runs out), I'll do a quick bump-start then key off again, just to rebuild my vacuum boost.

4ringcircus 10-14-2010 06:49 PM

Hey nice timing on your post. I am about to set my own record and go 400 miles on my Ranger. I know I should be happly about not going to the gas station, but until I get that receipt and crunch the numbers, the MPG is unofficial. It is driving me a little crazy waiting to hit Empty. You must have been dieing waiting 7 weeks for the trip to the gas station!

user removed 10-14-2010 09:39 PM

Souldn't the electricity used to charge the battery be included in the mileage calculation?

regards
Mech

PaleMelanesian 10-15-2010 09:08 AM

I did list the electricity used, for completeness, but it's hardly significant.

Use the X-prize conversion of 34 kwh = 1 gallon
0.74 kwh / 34 = 0.02 gallons
13.75 + 0.02 = 13.77 gallons
1133 mi / 13.77 gallons = 82.28 mpg, down from 82.4 mpg.

That's a difference of 0.12 mpg.

California98Civic 07-30-2019 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 190609)
I just beat my distance record! Thanks to an excessively hot summer, among other things. It took 7 weeks of commuting, 10 miles at a time. I started with the tank topped off until gas was sitting in the filler. I ran it down until it sputtered and died. A gas can (2.000 gal) in the back got me to the station for the rest of the fill.

1133 miles
13.751 gallons
82.4 mpg

Mods:
Grille block - smooth upper, 3/4 lower to leave a little airflow
Tire pressure - high ;)
Mobil1 5w20 oil
Scangauge
Battery trickle charger. Too much EOC runs the battery down. 0.74 kwh for the tank.
A highly adjusted nut behind the wheel. :p

Techniques:
P&G EOC
conserving momentum
light timing
route selection
low speeds
low rpm shifting
parking at the uphill end of the lot, facing downhill for a rolling start (I enter at the top, so I just stop there)
NO AC

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/dash_sm.jpg
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...anGauge_sm.jpg
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/receipt_sm.jpg

Blast from the past! And this legend, hypermiled car (retired) deserves both the sticker picture and the hat picture from the 70 MPG Challenge club. :)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1564467923

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1562171614

PaleMelanesian 07-30-2019 10:05 AM

Thanks! My new car, commute, and life are not up to those standards these days. I'm happy with mostly 50+ tanks now.

Despite the similar ratings, the Fit is not as efficient as the old Civic, by at least 10%. And my route is shorter so more of the time is spent in warmup mode. And it's not as aerodynamic. But the hatchback is so much more useful I made a deliberate choice on that point.

My best tank in the new car is 72 mpg.

California98Civic 07-30-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 603379)
Thanks! My new car, commute, and life are not up to those standards these days. I'm happy with mostly 50+ tanks now.

Despite the similar ratings, the Fit is not as efficient as the old Civic, by at least 10%. And my route is shorter so more of the time is spent in warmup mode. And it's not as aerodynamic. But the hatchback is so much more useful I made a deliberate choice on that point.

My best tank in the new car is 72 mpg.

Yup. I see it in your fuel log, too: Aug. 18, 2014... so the PaleFit also qualifies for the hat picture and the sticker picture.

ik04 11-19-2019 05:04 PM

That's really impressive considering your run time is so short. I was able to get 78 mpg out of my VW Lupo 1.9l non-turbo by just driving it normally, using all the hypermiling tricks. My 2014 US Passat got 1,000 miles from its first tank and about 850miles driving it at 75-80 all day...