Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie from New Zealand

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while, thought I'd properly sign up and see how you guys get more mpg!
I have a 98 EK civic hatch with the D15B 3 stage vtec and multimatic CVT. Driving from home to university every day (studying mech eng) 100km I see an average of 48mpg and a high of 52mpg on 95 ron gas, keeping it in econo lean burn as much as I can (not a flat, straight drive by any means). Using bridgestone ecopia pzx at 37psi with nitrogen, fully syn oil etc. Is 60mpg possible with these?
Our other car is a 05 legacy 3.0R spec b 6mt, and I've had sti coupe, ae86, jzx100, dc2r, etc.
Loving the little honda though, so cheap on fuel! Cheapest I've ever had!
Looking forward to reading more on hypermiling, cheers, Cole!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Question (ignorance on MY part), that is 48 miles-per-IMPERIAL gallon, correct?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I use US gallons, and L per 100km... wouldn't be very good if it was imperial ha. It's around 1.2 US to 1 imperial right? It's funny we use a mixture of imperial/metric over here.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civr - '95 Honda Civic Ri

tinkerbell - '90 Honda integra xsi

smokey - '00 honda civic gli
90 day: 43.36 mpg (US)

takaka - '00 toyota echo base with ac and ps
Hey man, I'm new too and from nz and have an ek3 lol, been lurking for awhile too.
I'm impressed with your 48mpg average with cvt. My thoughts are 60mpg average is not possible within reason with your set up.

My manual ek3 with non vtec d15b averages around the same as your cvt with mixed driving. I'm not sure my engine is running in an optimal state as my previous auto ek3 sedan managed 5.4/100 average with no mods and occasionally using a/c. I expected easy 4.5/100 out of my manual so I'm little disapointed.

Last edited by D15r; 08-12-2016 at 01:31 AM..
Old 08-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Is your ride a JDM model? The only automatic transmission that I've already seen in a Civic from that vintage was the regular 4-speed Aisin.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D15r View Post
Hey man, I'm new too and from nz and have an ek3 lol, been lurking for awhile too.
I'm impressed with your 48mpg average with cvt. My thoughts are 60mpg average is not possible within reason with your set up.

My manual ek3 with non vtec d15b averages around the same as your cvt with mixed driving. I'm not sure my engine is running in an optimal state as my previous auto ek3 sedan managed 5.4/100 average with no mods and occasionally using a/c. I expected easy 4.5/100 out of my manual so I'm little disapointed.
Hey man, that's pretty good mileage for mixed driving! How many rpm does yours do at 100?
I just cleaned out the EGR passages and ports on the inlet manifold today, they were completely blocked! Apparently this can yield more mpg. I drive from Rotorua to Hamilton every day in it, and if you know that road, it's not exactly flat lol. I'm yet to try a long run on a nice flat road, I've only had the car for a bit over a month, brought it specifically for high mpg on a budget. Cold weather seems to have an effect on mpg and I'm still learning what works driving wise and using the transmission the best way.
Do you think any different brands of fuel here give any better mpg than the others?
I'd like to get to 4.5l/100km too!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Is your ride a JDM model? The only automatic transmission that I've already seen in a Civic from that vintage was the regular 4-speed Aisin.
Yes it's a JDM. Honda calls it a M4VA transmission, really simple unit, and from what I'm told very reliable. Easy to service as I've found out. It has regular drive, economy mode and sport mode with switchable buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civr - '95 Honda Civic Ri

tinkerbell - '90 Honda integra xsi

smokey - '00 honda civic gli
90 day: 43.36 mpg (US)

takaka - '00 toyota echo base with ac and ps
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroyon223 View Post
Hey man, that's pretty good mileage for mixed driving! How many rpm does yours do at 100?
I just cleaned out the EGR passages and ports on the inlet manifold today, they were completely blocked! Apparently this can yield more mpg. I drive from Rotorua to Hamilton every day in it, and if you know that road, it's not exactly flat lol. I'm yet to try a long run on a nice flat road, I've only had the car for a bit over a month, brought it specifically for high mpg on a budget. Cold weather seems to have an effect on mpg and I'm still learning what works driving wise and using the transmission the best way.
Do you think any different brands of fuel here give any better mpg than the others?
I'd like to get to 4.5l/100km too!
Yes I've heard cleaning the egr sys helps too. The winter doesn't help that's forsure. Mine does an indicated 2550 at an indicated 100kmh, Not sure on error though. Ive found I can still get good economy in stop go city traffic especially motorway jams if I time things carefully I've not overly tested it I just work off my fill averages. I did get some data from my 318ti,I used for dial a driver, which had a trip computer that could display live readout.

You live in Rotorua, yeah I know that road pretty well, I'm unsure about hills I find most times I can regain the lost mpg on the downside a bit like pulse and glide driving but there's hills then there's hills I suppose.

You've still got a lot of little mods you can make I'd love to see you get 60 mpg with a cvt, which I've heard are unreliable but then the reasons for that I don't know it may just be people not putting the right oil in there lack of servicing etc. You can lower it, grille block, pump up the tyres more, remove ac and ps belt which isn't for everyone.

I know that you have the d15b 3 stage lean also known as d15z7, I've not had good experience with that motor or infact the famed z1 vx civic engine my experience is limited though and I'd give them another chance, I love the d15b vtec obd1 I've had a lot of experience with them.

I've not played with fuel grades, I've just stuck with 91.

Last edited by D15r; 08-13-2016 at 05:19 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread