EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New to site, looking for perfect ww kayak setup (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-site-looking-perfect-ww-kayak-setup-30436.html)

thad2000 11-07-2014 09:18 AM

New to site, looking for perfect ww kayak setup

1 Attachment(s)
Most my driving is done to get to rivers to go kayaking. The trailer idea is what I've used and liked best, but my current trailer is too heavy. It drags my fuel economy down by 20 percent.. (23 to 27 from 30mpg.) Anyway, I know most the problem is in weight (600lbs). Also, it's not very aerodynamic.. and I feel like because of the weight I have to keep the rpm's up to keep from putting too much of a strain on the motor. I live in a crap neighborhood too, so I like the idea of something that is enclosed so I can leave my gear in it and lock it.
Aside from that, I'm a bit lazy and know myself enough to know it can't be too complex of a design.. otherwise it wont get done. So, In a nut shell,
I want to figure out a super light trailer with great aerodynamics low cost that will fit two kayaks and not cost me a fortune.. no problem right? lol
My profile pic is what I'm currently using.. (actually it's a little different, I had to change the trailer because the wheels were too far back and made the tongue weight too high for my car.)
I'm thinking of using a besco trailer with a 3ft by 28inch by 9 foot box for kayaks hopefully with a weight under 200lbs.
I live in the Northwest, and secretly lust over a stretched geo metro I've seen pics of.

redneck 11-07-2014 10:02 AM

Welcome.

What are you pulling the trailer with...???

>

thad2000 11-07-2014 10:06 AM

2003 ford zx2 ... I think It's a 2 liter motor with variable valve timing

Sven7 11-07-2014 10:37 AM

Welcome. It's fun to see people sign up for interesting reasons!

I would build your new trailer as close as possible to this, as low as possible and using as thin of materials as possible while still being structural. Even if you only streamline the rear end, it'll have much better pressure recovery (and MPG) than that topper.
Aerodynamic Streamlining Template

Don't know how far you are from the water, but have you considered towing it by bicycle and just having a storage shed at your house? Five miles or so really is not bad, even carrying a load. Your trailer could be much lighter, too!

(I used to bike-tow my kayak to the local lake with a custom trailer made of copper conduit and harbor freight wheels... whatever works, eh?)

redneck 11-07-2014 10:40 AM

Do you have any fabricating skills and have access to tools...???

If so, it would be fairly easy to build something off your existing trailer. The top and sides that you have now are whats heavy. I would replace that with a lighter weight materials as in either thin plywood or even better, thin aluminum.
For a aerodynamic body, use 1x4 wood for the tear drop shape of the frame,as it is fairly easy to bend and shape then skin it over.

Have you tried using the search box located at the top left of the page ?

There are several threads pertaining to trailers that may help you.

>

undeRGRound 11-09-2014 04:22 PM

Wow, that is heinous!

Maybe blunting that flat front, egg shaped, and smooth up the sides. I think you could do well with the existing trailer actually. Find some new axle bearings, take them apart and degrease them, put DFL and moly/graphite on all the surfaces and then maybe Slick 50 grease. Increase air pressure in the tires to max pressure or even 25% over (many ecomodders go 55 psi on a 44 psi tire)
A boat tail rear may not be practical, but vortex generators can reduce the drag behind a square backed trailer substantially, OTR tractor trailers use them these days :D

Good Luck, and why not try and increase the non-towing MPG at the same time? It will help when towing as well, if it makes your ZX2 more efficient.

JRMichler 11-09-2014 09:25 PM

The frontal area of your existing trailer is causing much more drag than the weight. If you really want a low drag trailer for two kayaks (and nothing more than that), you will need to build it. A simple lightweight frame (thinwall conduit?) with cradles to support your two kayaks on edge with the cockpits tight together, and wheels just far enough apart to fit the kayaks in between. The kayaks will not be exposed to the wind, so no aerodynamic drag. It should be possible to build a two kayak specific trailer that weighs less than 100 lbs. With minimal aerodynamic drag, and minimal weight, you won't know it's back there. Total effect on gas mileage should be too low to measure.