EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   A new "take" on Hot Air Intakes 2 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-take-hot-air-intakes-2-a-1811.html)

Funny 04-11-2008 01:48 AM

A new "take" on Hot Air Intakes 2

1 Attachment(s)
If you read my previous thread, here, you have seen the previous design and this is basically an elaboration on that idea.

I'm looking for criticism, and any thoughts would be great. I really think this could be the next mod for FE in the Rolling Lemon, and would like to have some fresh eyes looking at it (because, like everyone else "my ideas sound great to me!" :D).

dremd 04-11-2008 11:03 AM

Few thoughts

1) Don't over cool your oil ( I think 160F is about as low as you want to go) May still be very feasible.
I THINK the 1zz has an oil 2 water heat exchanger, I can't remember, I'll look tonight. In which case the water would hold the Oil temp up near 200. But then why not just use water?
2) If you have ever tried to heat a 1966 VW bus you know that it is incredibly difficult to get very much heat out of the exhaust manifold, there is a very high temperature, but it cools incredibly easy. Not sure how much energy is required here . . . . .
Check out a heat exchanger from an Air cooled VW for ideas. . . . .

How hot do you want the intake air?

Funny 04-11-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dremd (Post 19036)
Few thoughts

How hot do you want the intake air?

I was thinking between 100-130*F, with constant temperature regulation to keep it at the optimum level.

tasdrouille 04-11-2008 12:56 PM

The tough part is going to be constant regulation. No matter the route you'll chose to go with this, you won't be able to get a constant temp with only a heat source as you heat source will very likely not be constant, and the flow through your heat exchanger won't be constant either.

Daox 04-11-2008 01:39 PM

I'd try something that semi-works first to see if the engine can even handle the extra heat. If it works, then you can make it a better system. The 1ZZ-FE isn't a low compression engine and hot air may cause it to retard ignition timing. Start by pulling air from around the exhaust manifold and see how warm that gets you. If you see your ignition timing being pulled on the highway then you probably won't see much in the way of mileage gains. I don't know anyone else who has played with the 1ZZ, so I can't say how it'll react. Of course I'm interested as my Matrix has the same engine. :)

LostCause 04-11-2008 07:33 PM

I responded in your other thread, but here are my opinions.

1.) Do not cool the oil, as it will increase it's viscosity.

2.) Take heat from the exhaust through a heat muff and route it with flexible heater ducting or SCAT tubing.

3.) If you use a heat muff, do not directly attach its output to the throttle body. Angle the hot air to the throat so you lower the intake restriction.

4.) Do not reroute the battery as the extra wiring is only going to increase weight and raise the impedence of the electrical system.

5.) Variable heat control can be create through a cabin heat box or a plenum with a variable exit around an intercooler. Temperature control can be done electronically or manually.

- LostCause