Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
New things: Tribologism and the Blue Whirl

Tribologists Discover Self-Lubricating and Self-Healing Tribofilm That Could Revolutionize Lubrication

Newly Discovered 'Blue Whirl' Fire Tornado Burns Cleaner for Reduced Emissions | UMD Right Now :: University of Maryland

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Semi-serious ecomodder

Sounds like zddp
Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man
QUOTE: "...IF it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..."!
I'm still hopeful for Smokey Yunick's Hot Vapor engine.

What Ever Happened To Smokey's Hot-Vapor Engine? - Hot Rod Magazine

It's held back by metallurgy. Maybe 3D printed ceramics is the answer. At the very least we learned a new word: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology.

Quote:
Test showed the DLC tribofilm reduced friction by anywhere from 25 to 40 percent and the actual wear was reduced by immeasurable amounts...

The experiments showed the coatings actually interact directly with the oil molecules in order to create the DLC film which is what adheres to the metal surfaces. When the tribofilm is worn down the catalyst in the coating is then re-exposed to the oil which causes the catalysis to start over and to develop brand new layers of tribofilm. The process is known as self-regulating which keeps the film at a thickness that remains consistent. The scientists discovered that the film was developing spontaneously between the sliding surfaces and was replenishing on its own. The only thing they did not understand was why this was happening or how.
http://sciencenewsjournal.com/tribologists-discover-self-lubricating-self-healing-tribofilm-revolutionize-lubrication/

This is a coating, not unlike other aerospace coatings, except that when it wears it exposes a catalyst that steals ions from the motor oil to repair the wear. Wear on the underlying metal part is immeasurable.

If this comes to market, I want to build up one more 36hp VW boxer from the case I'm hoarding.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyBear
Sounds like zddp
As nearly as I can tell, that's added zinc and phosphorous as a friction modifier.

In this case they use superdupercomputer modeling to understand what's happening at the pressures experienced at the point of contact.
Quote:
In order to come up with a theoretical understanding of exactly what the tribology team was seeing during their testing, they worked with Sankaranarayanan and Narayanan who had previously used the immense computing power of ALCF’s 10-petaflop supercomputer known as Mira. They ran large-scale simulations in order to get a better understanding as to what was happening on an atomic level and realized that the catalyst metals in the nanocomposite coatings were stripping hydrogen atoms from the hydrocarbon chains of the lubricating oil. They were then breaking down the chains into even smaller segments. These smaller chains came together under pressure and created the highly durable DLC tribofilm.

Sankaranarayanan says this is an example of catalysis under extreme conditions created by friction. It is opening up a new field where you are merging catalysis and tribology, which has never been done before. This new field of tribocatalysis has potential to change the way we look at lubrication.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from alchemy.

Old Tele man -- Instead of deleting posts you could just replace it with [this space intentionally left blank].
Old 08-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Whoever is trolling Old Tele man should stop. Not in my thread.

I don't think this is worth a new thread, but these guys have the money to recreate the first real airliner the Handley Page HP42, and they are going to do it:

UK team plans to build replica of 1930s aircraft that frequented Sharjah | The National

We're talking 9 tons, 2000hp and 120mph top speed, but for a fixed gear biplane that's pretty good. Wood paneled interiors; probably a Zepplin-like experience, smaller but not much faster.

The V-shaped struts means there's a little lift mixed in with the drag. Imagine if they were a 3D printed metal foam. And the engines had fireball combustion chambers and self healing diamond coatings.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And I thought that tribology was the study of tribes.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilOne View Post
And I thought that tribology was the study of tribes.
Or maybe...

>

Reply  Post New Thread