EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   New user intro and pick-up aero modding (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-user-intro-pick-up-aero-modding-831.html)

Blackbird 01-28-2008 01:18 AM

New user intro and pick-up aero modding

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone!

I've recently been linked to view one of the forum members work on a civic and found this forum that way.

Let me just say that would have probably joined this forum a long time ago had I known it existed, I am definitely into some home brewed radical solutions to problems in order to maximize performance.
I have experimented with aero modding of a car quite a bit, only from a different angle, namely adding downforce to my old racecar.

But, as I see it, modifications done to the car to improve gas mileage isn't that far off from stuff I've been doing in the past and I am ready to tackle some aero work from that direction for change :) .

And without much more introduction let's go straight into the depth of the brick that I'll be driving soon.

I'm currently looking for a used Toyota T100 to replace my gas chugging GMC Sierra 5.3L V8.
I needed the GMC at the time for towing and work but the needs have changed and I'm now looking for a T100 4 cyl / 5 spd to replace it as I still need that size of PU for work.
Nice thing about the T100 4 cyl (aside of the legends about it living forever) is the relatively good gas mileage of 21 city /25 hwy or so, but, since we're here to discuss aero-modding than here are some of my thoughts -

* An aerodynamic shell, shaped like the back of my wife's 05 Prius.
* Moondiscs on the wheel, subject to verification of sufficient cooling for the brakes.
* Streamlined wheel well at the rear with the aid of a cover, attached with recessed bolts or nuts (whatever will be easier to fabricate).
* Partial smooth bottom and/or front air dam.

Comments, questions or any other piece of info will be appreciated!

Moti

BTW, before someone asks -
Yes, I have searched the forum and yes, I just saw the aerodynamic Toyota T100 that was already built... funny how someone had the same exact ideas and applied them to the same exact truck. :cool:

SVOboy 01-28-2008 02:06 AM

Welcome to the site! I won't pretend to be a truck aero guru, but it looks like you're off to a good start.

Got a scangauge yet?

Blackbird 01-28-2008 02:08 AM

I better get the truck first (I'm searching for one in the last couple of weeks).
For the current truck I'm not sure if I really want to know :eek:

Moti

MetroMPG 01-28-2008 08:58 AM

Hi, Moti...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird (Post 7216)
I have experimented with aero modding of a car quite a bit, only from a different angle, namely adding downforce to my old racecar.

You're not alone. One EM member, Stan, makes his living doing that (making race car bodies).

Quote:

since we're here to discuss aero-modding than here are some of my thoughts
Those are all good mods to do. One big one that appears to be missing is a partial grille block.

Another consideration when you're shopping for your T-100 is choosing the model year. If they made them in 1996 or later, that's what I would look for. It would permit you to add a ScanGauge so you could monitor your instant/average fuel economy to adjust the nut behind the wheel & determine the in/effectiveness of mods. (As well as a multitude of other features it's good for.)

Quote:

BTW, before someone asks -
Yes, I have searched the forum and yes, I just saw the aerodynamic Toyota T100 that was already built...
Pretty nice to be able to follow a pioneer! You could do worse than to simply duplicate the mods you see on Phil's truck.

Good luck truck shopping!

Darin

Blackbird 01-28-2008 12:06 PM

Thanks.

With the T100 I'm pretty much stuck to whatever I find, there really aren't enough of them out there to be picky about the year too.
It's just another bit that limits the amount of trucks available FS, which I have already limited down with the fact that it needs to be a 4 cyl (most of them are V6), 2WD when there are a lot of 4WD's, Long bed (eliminates the Xtracab trucks) and manual trans...
Not a whole lot of them left after you take mileage and price into account.

Hopefully I'll find one that I can hook up the scan gauge to, but I won't be turning a nice 93-95 truck away because of it.

Moti