EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   New Vetter Challenge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-vetter-challenge-15784.html)

greenjoe 01-13-2011 08:48 AM

New Vetter Challenge

Just got an e-mail from Craig Vetter about The New Vetter Challenge. Should be fun to enter/follow. craigvetter.com to check it out.

MetroMPG 01-13-2011 09:58 AM

Thanks for posting. I'm off to see what he's up to next...

Frank Lee 01-13-2011 07:28 PM

I wish I had a bike ready for that :(

beatr911 01-14-2011 07:34 PM

When I got the mail I was soooo tempted to bail on everything and build a bike. My plans are based on a Yamaha XV250 cruiser with an even lower seat, longer swingarm and almost fully faired. The little yammie (along with it's Lifan clone) have a long stroke, torquey engine that is really efficient and can tolerate taller gearing pretty easily.

The tough part of this whole thing is making the aerodynamics. Craigs event conditions are pretty severe. The ride is fast and into headwinds where aerodynamics make or break an entrant. The mechanical bits are existing for the most part but making a good shell is what keeps at least me from entering, maybe others.

Swiftbow 01-15-2011 07:53 PM

Hmmm, the new cbr250r should make an ideal base for this effort. Potential of a 100mpg bike is there.

Doug

beatr911 01-20-2011 10:49 AM

The CBR250 has good potential and could well get 100mpg with good conditions and using hypermiling skills. The conditions Craig uses in his events though are really tough. No way will the stock CBR250 reach 100mpg during one of his rides, I'd guess maybe 70 with the rider in a tuck most of the way.

Craigs events make a point that aerodynamics are the only way to get outstanding fuel economy at higher speeds. And oh, by the way, rider comfort is also drastically improved. And you get some good storage for your stuff. It is really a win all the way around, it just doesn't look like the motorcycle your grand daddy rode.

Gads, we really need more people like him to promote this line of thought. More independent builders, customizers, even hackers like me.

MetroMPG 01-20-2011 12:01 PM

I wonder if a Canadian showed up with a streamlined Honda CBR 125RR how it would stack up against Vetter's machine. :)

For some reason Honda's not selling that bike in the U.S.

Swiftbow 01-21-2011 07:02 PM

I agree beatr911 but I didn't mean in stock form. What I meant by a base was it could probably be a 100mpg bike for the challenge with some aerodynamic modifications.

I didn't know about the cbr125rr, if it comes with FI, it should be an even better platform. However, even if Honda isn't releasing it for the US market, Aprilia is releasing a 125cc based on looking like a small scale RSV4. This one has great potential.
2012 Aprilia RS4 125 Photo Gallery - Motorcycle USA

Doug

MetroMPG 01-21-2011 09:28 PM

As far as I know, it's got FI. It's also got a cat, so it doesn't stink. :)

greenjoe 01-21-2011 09:37 PM

Looking forward to Vetter's Challenge, there will surely be some great machines and great inovators there. My struggle is deciding to build what suits my needs or build a "Challenge Bike" that overkills MY daily commute. Trying not to overthink this, but will keep working in the garage and keeping an eye on them:) Can't wait to see where all the ralleys will be held and with what criteria.