Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

The Neon - '05 Dodge Neon SRT-D
90 day: 29.23 mpg (US)
New Ohio Member!

Howdie everyone. I just stumbled upon this site whilst looking for some easy vehicle modifications to bump my mileage. I went to the gas station today and realized it was costing me almost 50 bucks to fill up from empty, and I made the conscious decision to do something about it today.

Unfortunately my platform isn't the greatest to start with. I have a 2005 Dodge neon, Auto, and it's of the SRT-Design variety. Basically it's an SXT with some special trim to mimic the SRT-4, but none of the power I have fitted a K&N Typhoon intake to the engine and I've done a little to lighten it up, but not much else. It is lowered, but just the springs were changed.

Up to this point my philosophy behind this car has been very simple style and a very measly attempt at a fun driving car. The mindset has shifted however, and being the goal oriented person I am, I will have no problem setting my sights on higher and higher efficiencies.

I've been jealous reading about all these guys on the forum getting 40+ mpgs. I'm lucky to get 30 on the highway. Oddly enough, my mileage is doing a little better on my Firestone Winterforces (195/60/15) than it was on my summer tires, Continental ContiExpresses (215/40/17). I'm looking into selling the 17" wheels and tires in favor of some lightweight wheels and LRR tires. I would like to stick with a lightweight semi racing wheel however as track days may be an option at some point. maybe a third set of wheels and tires is in my future...

anyway, I look forward to learning a lot on here, and I will attempt to start a log detailing current modifications to my car and future mods. I do not have a scanguage, however I have the Auterra DynoScan software on my laptop which I can monitor MPGs and Temps with in real time and I can record. I'm going to start recording my 25 minute trip to work and see what happens.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forum,

The best and least expensive mod is adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

Good luck
Kirk
Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Neon - '05 Dodge Neon SRT-D
90 day: 29.23 mpg (US)
What size wrench do I need for that nut? I hear they're hard to come by...

Reply  Post New Thread