EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   newb intro and question about civic hb vx (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/newb-intro-question-about-civic-hb-vx-858.html)

reformed 01-29-2008 04:58 PM

newb intro and question about civic hb vx

Whats up everybody, I'm just now starting to jump on the gas mileage bandwagon like everyone else. I have a few questions and I'm hoping I can get some info on the subject. But first I have to say that the forkenswift is a wonderful thing. I got hooked on reading the thread and ended up reading it (all 27 pages of it)

Anyway, I have a question about the 92 to 95 civic hb vx. It seems to be a tough car to find so what I'm thinking is buying a regular civic and then transplanting a hb vx powerplant, trans, computer ect.. into it. My question is this: where would I start to look for this powerplant? I cant find anything so far and was just looking to see if you guys had any info or links I could check out. Thanks
Trevor

MetroMPG 01-29-2008 05:12 PM

Hey Trevor - welcome.

Thanks for the ForkenSwift kudos - and congrats on reading the whole thing. (I think people who do that should get a ribbon or something...) I actually just stepped in the door from running an errand in the car, and soon it'll be plugged in for the evening for its off-peak feeding. We've had a bit warmer than normal temps the past 2 days, and the old batteries are loving it. (So am I - I can actually feel it accelerate in 2nd gear! :D )

I also started out looking for a VX before I went down the Metro path. Same issue - lack of availability; and the few I did find were half way biodegraded. But those cars in good tune can be efficiency monsters on the open road (at moderate speeds).

I expect Ben or TomO (resident VX guru) will jump in with advice & answers.

Darin

SVOboy 01-29-2008 05:59 PM

Man, I always marvel at people who read that whole thread. I don't think I did even when it was happening live, :)

Welcome to the site! The best place, I think, to get a d15z1 is jdmsource.ca, or is it resource? Iono. Something like that. Pretty cheap there, even with shipping!

Best of luck.

reformed 01-29-2008 06:33 PM

Thanks for the welcomes and the info guys. Now that I have a part number I will probably fare a little better in my research.

I actually talked to benjamin at crxmpg.com and he referred me to this site, was that you, svoboy?

And you're welcome for the kudos Darin, they are well deserved. It was actually quite amazing to read the post and watch you go from being relatively green (no pun intended) in the subject to becoming quite knowledgable. Reading that thread over the course of two days was like reading some epic novel, I feel like I am talking to a legend now, haha.

SVOboy 01-29-2008 06:36 PM

Oh hey! You sent in the question about the tranny, right? :). Glad someone actually listens to me every now and then.

I keep telling darin (i've told him once) that we should write a book with all the knowledges we have.

AndrewJ 01-29-2008 07:27 PM

:bows to the knowledges: :)

MetroMPG 01-29-2008 08:58 PM

You know they usually have a minimum page limit for books, right? :P I'd be nervous trying to fill a real book with all my knowledges.

SVOboy 01-29-2008 09:16 PM

Book pages are small! 150~ for a good manual sized book. You can do eet.

bennelson 01-29-2008 10:13 PM

So I get a ribbon for reading the whole Forkenswift thread?

It only took me three nights to read it!

TomO 01-29-2008 11:28 PM

I don't know of any retail places off-hand to buy the Z1, but I can tell you this; find yourself some import enthusiasts that bought a VX and yanked the drivetrain to swap in a more powerful motor. They wil practically give it all away.

To swap another Civic Hatch over to a VX You'll need a 5 wire O2 (LAF sensor) a connector for it, the EGR control box and a connector for that as well, and a P07 A00 or A01 (federal emissions) ECU. Basically it's just wiring on top of a regular engine swap for a Civic.

Welcome to EM as well! And don't hesitate to ask questions along the way.