EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Newbie with 5-spd Chevy Colorado (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/newbie-5-spd-chevy-colorado-12405.html)

5speed5 02-24-2010 02:03 AM

Newbie with 5-spd Chevy Colorado

I'm about to purchase a 2005 Chevy Colorado 4x4 from a friend. It's a 5-spd, 5-cylinder. Just curious if anyone else here has a Colorado or a GMC Canyon
as a daily driver and what kind of mpg and mods they've done.

My other car is a gas pig SUV, but since I live only 8 miles from work and drive it only on nice days (garage queen...I've put only 1800 miles on it in the last 6 months), I'm actually helping the environment by owning it and sequestering it away from someone who might drive it 50+ miles/day.

I tell my friend who lives 2 miles from work that the best thing he could do for the environment is to buy a used V10 Ford Excursion or 8.1L 3/4-ton Suburban.
-Tim

MadisonMPG 02-24-2010 09:38 AM

I don't agree with your logic, but I could see how it would make sense. Oh BTW, I would tell your friend to walk/ride a bike to work.

Welcome to ecomodder. :)

5speed5 02-24-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 162731)
I don't agree with your logic, but I could see how it would make sense. Oh BTW, I would tell your friend to walk/ride a bike to work.

Agreed. I'm a huge proponent of walking/biking, because it would also
help reduce America's health care costs, but if you knew my friend, you'd
know it'd be like talking to a wall to suggest that. BTW, he owns a
Prius and drives his 4 miles a day in it. That to me seems like a waste of
a good hybrid. Let someone who lives 50 miles from work buy the Prius.

I owned a '98 Metro and got 52-54 mpg, but after I moved closer to work, it
just didn't make sense to keep that car, so I sold it to a lady who has a 35 mile commute to work.

Quote:

Welcome to ecomodder. :)
Thanks. Looks to be a great site.

MetroMPG 02-24-2010 05:13 PM

I don't think we have any active Colorado drivers, but we definitely have a small, active pickup modding contingent.

Set up a fuel log & join the game!

Welcome to the site.

Angmaar 02-24-2010 05:26 PM

Welcome to ecomodder!

rmay635703 02-24-2010 07:05 PM

That rig is a perfect setup for pure EOC. Might be interesting to see what type of FE it gets with the engine off most of the way.

busypaws 02-24-2010 09:34 PM

My other ride is a 94 Toyota PU (pre tacoma).
Only thing I've done to it is bigger tires and an alternator cut off switch. I have a switch on the dash that disconnects the field lines in the alternator. This way I can turn off the alternator and get a few HP for that quick left turn on yellow or starting from a stop going up hill. I have a small EV panel on the dash but it is not big enough to keep the battery charged. One day maybe a bigger panel on the hood or roof and a deep cycle battery or two and I can take the alternator all the way off.
Another idea is to get an electric fan motor. Mine still runs off a belt and the engine. That way I am always turning the fan instead of an electric one that only comes on when needed. Could save a mpg or two. Other threads here have documented some savings by removing belt driven fan.
Good luck.

5speed5 02-25-2010 12:20 AM

rmay,
Just curious, what in particular makes you say it's perfect for engine-off-coasting? I do plan on doing that, BTW. On my commute there are several
very safe places to do that. I had an '05 5-spd Vibe and was able to get 47 mpg out of it using EOC.

busypaws,
Thanks for the reply. Both my trucks have mechanical fans and both are going to get deleted (already bought the electrical fans for the Trailblazer SS). Here is what I have planned for the Colorado,

mech fan delete
warm air intake
tires to 40 psi
scan guage
using EOC in safe areas

rmay635703 02-25-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5speed5 (Post 162897)
rmay,
Just curious, what in particular makes you say it's perfect for engine-off-coasting?

mech fan delete
warm air intake
tires to 40 psi
scan guage
using EOC in safe areas

Any vehicle that is heavy with a manual is an EOC candidate, one that has a very small motor and very lightweight generally doesn't coast well and eoc is less effective.

Also I would put 60psi in the rear tires, especially if they are 44 or 50 psi rated truck tires. You won't feel it in the back and it DOES make a difference.

5speed5 02-25-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 163005)
Any vehicle that is heavy with a manual is an EOC candidate, one that has a very small motor and very lightweight generally doesn't coast well and eoc is less effective.

Okay, I can understand that.

Quote:

Also I would put 60psi in the rear tires, especially if they are 44 or 50 psi rated truck tires. You won't feel it in the back and it DOES make a difference.
Thanks, good tip!