Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie looking for winter vehicle

Hey everyone,
New to the forum but definitely not cars. Usually I'm making cars faster though, not eco-modding. This time I need a car to cruise up to Tahoe in this winter as I have a season pass and would like to make the most of it but unfortunately don't have a very fuel efficient vehicle (work requires me to have a truck, so I've got a 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel).

Looking at buying a car that gets good gas mileage (at a decent speed) for Tahoe trips this winter. Drive is ~400 miles each way.
Requirements are that it can seat 4 guys, boards on top, our crap in trunk. A wagon would be preferred but definitely not required. AWD is definitely a plus as well because it would be nice to never have to chain up. Budget is hopefully around $5k or less. I'll take suggestions that are more than that, but they get dinged right away because of it.

Right now I'm looking at something like a Jetta TDI because from what I've read they get ~45mpg at 80mph. I've also considered an older Suby but don't believe they get the mileage I'm looking for.

Suggestions?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

welcome to the forum
Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Early '90s Toyota Corolla 4x4 wagon with a 5 speed. Selectable 4x4, so 2wd until you need it, fair amount of room. Don't know about the 40 mpg, but it would be a better bet than something that is AWD.