EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Newbie with a ninja? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/newbie-ninja-4279.html)

FastPlastic 05-23-2008 06:02 PM

Newbie with a ninja?

2 Attachment(s)
Just like to introduce myself. The names Philip but a lot of my motorcycle friends call me FastPlastic. I'm currently residing in central Iowa. My current vehicles are a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with rather poor fuel economy compared to most of the vehicles on this forum. And a 1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R, Which is where I get the nickname FastPlastic. I guess that's what happens when you ride with a bunch of Harleys.

At this point I don't feel I have the cash to trade in the Jeep. And there is just something about the thing that makes me love driving it. So my goal is to work on aerodynamics of the Jeep without severely altering the old school look of it. I'm not looking for amazing improvements. I'll be happy with a couple of MPG, just something to make it hurt a little less at the pump.

As for the Ninja. I drive it as much as I can because the mileage on it is a heck of a lot better. But everything has room for improvement. So I might look at that after working on the Jeep.

Phil

Lazarus 05-23-2008 07:45 PM

Welcome to the site. What kind of mileage do you get in the Ninja? Why not work on that first since you drive it more? When you get a chance fill out the garage it a great tool to track mods.

FastPlastic 05-23-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 28040)
Welcome to the site. What kind of mileage do you get in the Ninja? Why not work on that first since you drive it more?

Well, the worst I've seen with the bike was about 26mpg. After tuning it up by ear (4 carbs are a pain by the way) I've been seeing about 32mpg. I should get good set of vacuum gauges so I can do it right. But that'll put you back $100 or more.

Not a bad idea to work on the bike. Some of the ideas I had was new flush mount turn signals, better under tail tray (old one is inset 2-3ins) on a side note that would give me more space for storage. I guess I mostly had aero mods in mind.

I would love to hear what others get mileage wise on their motorcycles. haven't really seen anything posted anywhere so I don't know if 32mpg is bad for a 750cc.

Phil

SVOboy 05-23-2008 08:45 PM

Welcome to ecomodder! There is definitely some potential in both of your vehicles. What does the jeep get now?

FastPlastic 05-24-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 28049)
Welcome to ecomodder! There is definitely some potential in both of your vehicles. What does the jeep get now?

Well, Over the winter I had one tank that resulted in a freakishly low 10.9mpg. So after reading some of the tips and tricks on this site and adjusting my driving habits I managed to hit 15mpg. I also started using Iso-heat in every tank. Over the winter I decided to try it in case water in the tank was giving me problems. First tank I put it in I saw the MPG's jump to the 13-14 range. The tank after I didn't have one and it dropped back to 10.9mpg. I went back and forth a few times with the same results. I figure I spend about $1.50 or so a bottle to save about $15 bucks a tank.

Phil

DifferentPointofView 05-24-2008 02:48 PM

Welcome to EM! You can definitely pull some good mileage with a cherokee. Are you running the AMC 242?

Good thing you drive the bike around more often :thumbup: I've been occasionally thinking about getting a small bike to drive around. Better than averaging bad mileages :D.

FastPlastic 05-24-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView (Post 28156)
Welcome to EM! You can definitely pull some good mileage with a cherokee. Are you running the AMC 242?

Yeah it's the 242. Gotta say at times I like having the extra power (had a 2.8L 1985 Cherokee).

Phil

LostCause 05-25-2008 02:00 AM

Welcome to the board.

Your biggest gain on the bike will probably come from changing the sprockets.
I know people on the Ninja 250 have reached 70-80mpg through that mod. Drivability will suffer, though.

- LostCause

cfg83 05-25-2008 02:47 AM

FastPlastic -

Welcome to EM! That is my favorite generation of Jeep. Always liked the Jeep Comanche truck's similar design aesthetics.

CarloSW2

DifferentPointofView 05-26-2008 12:54 AM

I liked it back when jeep made vehicles specifically for off-road use, non of this "suspension for the road" crap. And they should have done with the 4.0L like they did with the 4.2. redesign it to be updated, yet still have the power band of the older one. No offense to the new Liberty owners and brand new wrangler owners, but they're now designed for soccer moms and chicks to drive around now. "comfortable quiet ride" in a Jeep? your supposed to ride with no carpet, windshield down, doors off, top torn off, aviation goggles on and the plug holes pulled out of the floor (very convenient when you spill a drink :thumbup: ) Giving the jeep wave to other jeepers. I'd take my doors off and the carpet if it was still pre-$1 for gasoline and I had another car for commuting. But that's a different story :D