EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Newbie Swift GT (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/newbie-swift-gt-3411.html)

whatthe 06-28-2008 04:04 PM

Newbie Swift GT

Hello,

I'm new here and I'm not sure how disciplined I am to make the long haul, but its too interesting to not at least try this for a while.

I've had a Swift GT 1.3L 16 valve 4 cyl as either my daily driver, or back up car of sorts for the past 8 years. I've run them with nitrous, naturally aspirated, and with several different turbo kits. As far as the sprint/swift/firefly/metro line goes, in the past I've had 1.0L 3 cyl sprint/firefly, 1.0L 3 cyl. turbo firefly, 1.3L 4 cyl SOHC 16 valve (1998 Swift), 1.3L SOHC 8 valve Swift.

So being fairly familiar with this line of Suzuki motors, it was pretty interesting to come accross guys who were getting mileage far beyond anything I had ever experienced in my 8 years with any of these models. With my general driving style, gas mileage was never really that different between any in the line... except the heavier 98 body and automatic 98 was a little harder to eek good mileage out of.

Other than that, I've done a lot of performance tuning (thousands of dyno runs) on all sorts of high horsepower, or not so high horsepower cars. I own a couple of portable widebands, etc. etc..

I'm just poking around for now, but I'll try to add something useful if I can.

I should add my GT now is basically stock, although it has some remnants of performance tuning left over on it (turbo kit, etc. is gone) but some port work and chamber clean up on the head remains. Unfortunately the port work removed some of Suzukis economy features (no more shrouded valves, ports enlarged slightly, sharp edges in chamber deburred, etc)... but, I'm still going to try to break 50 with the GT as it is.

Johnny Mullet 06-29-2008 01:08 AM

Glad to have you here! There are plenty of Swift/Metro/Firefly fans right here on the site.

cfg83 06-29-2008 02:11 AM

whatthe -

Welcome to EM! I'll bet your skillzz will translate well to FE, especially with a Swift background.

CarloSW2

whatthe 06-29-2008 11:40 AM

Thanks guys. I actually found this place from all of you guys on Teamswift.

Hopefully I can add a few things, and I'll take away lots as well.

Vanner 06-29-2008 03:17 PM

swift swifts

Ah the base 1.3L model, well that was about 74 hp, no? On 13-inch tires and drums all around. 0-60 of about 17 seconds... How many "swift" puns do you suffer through per day, would you say? 5? 10?

whatthe 06-29-2008 09:29 PM

Yep, there's nothing Swift about the car right now. All of them are really the base model, but the GT was the 'top' of the series in a performance aspect. Best I ran was low 16s without turbo, and traction limited low 14s@100 with turbo (stock compression). Never got a chance to turn it up at the track with the head work, studs, etc.. that were in place.

GT also came with 4 wheel disc (same size as a 2600lb cavalier) and could lock up my r compounds at 60mph with standard pads.

I was the top line with 10-11psi. I'm now closer to the bottom line for whp.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...dyno183whp.jpg

Vanner 06-30-2008 08:31 AM

swift gt

That's impressive! Amazing what 10 psi can do, looks like it really responded to the boost. Makes me wish I hadn't let mine rust through. I'm sure you've seen this Swift GT Articles - Ratracer Part 2 but you know, just wanted to make sure...

whatthe 06-30-2008 11:10 AM

G13b definitely comes alive with boost. I'm at 3500ft ASL in Calgary, so that tends to kill NA performance as well.

I remember seeing that Motor Trend article before. It's a great article, especially the slalom times. I do question how 'easy' they were taking it on the car or what kind of tires they had on the stock setup to sandbag the stock braking distance and 1/4mile times so bad. Even my low 16 second NA times were never that good compared to what a lot of the other guys seem to run RedlineGTi.com - Quarter Mile Times