Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the jeep - '02 nissan kingcab
Last 3: 29.07 mpg (US)
beginner modder from belgium

hi all, i discovered this amazing site a few weeks ago and it was just the push i needed to start doing the moddings i always had in the back of my mind.

i live in belgium and i drive a nissan kingcab pick-up from 2002 that i bought on ebay 3 years ago for a verry interesting price. it's a 2.5l diesel and im verry happy with it as me and my father run a farm it is a verry practical vehicle. we can carry lighter things around with it, where before we would had to use a tractor with a trailer weighing together over 13 tons empty... obviously i admit i like to use it for anything, even when a car could do the same. so that's why id like to give myself and my wallet a better conscience by making it as efficient as possible.

up to now i had trouble staying under 10 liters/100 km, and the first things i did was remove the 4 lights on the roof (yeah i know...) re-install the aluminium bed cover i made, wich we sometimes need to remove and oftenly forget to replace. and i also removed the 4 mudflaps behind each wheel. since then i have almost done 2 tanks, and the resulst are obvious, i used to have real trouble doing 700km/tank and now i can reach 800 km! so im doing around 8.7 liters/100 km. it's an improvement of over 1 liter with adjustments that took 20 minutes to do.

my goal is to reach 7 liters, i have now made a steamlined bed cover out of wood wich is not yet completely finished, of wich i will show pictures the coming days. i also intend to make a front splitter and do anything else that the experienced memebrs here may advise.

story of the vehiclefor those who are interested) the first years i had it i used to drive "gently" mainly with the intention to spare the mechanics as i have some knowledge in that domain and because i do the maintenance myself . and i guess that being carefull with the car mechanics automatically gets you better effeciency already.
for 1 year it drove on 10-30% rapeseed oil, wich we produced ourselves by pressing some of our rapeseed. it went really well but i stopped because of 2 events: i once got pulled over by the customs for a routine fuel check to see if nobody was running on heating diesel, and because the sample they took was suspicious i had to wait 30 mins with them and sign some papers and they would check the sample in a lab. the worst is that the freeking custom agants werent even aware that driving on vegetable oil is legal in belgium if it is produced by a farmer. and for 30 minutes all the other dozens of persons they pulled over took me for a frauder in my own village. so you try to "save the planet" and the police makes you look like a thief...
and the second event is that at the annual technical control of the 4x4 i had a horrible particle emission, so i went to a garage and they found nothing, then i went back to the control and the result was the same... to make a long story short, the filter of the fuel pump was clogged by rapeseed debris, BUT! it only has effect when your rpm goes over 4500! and i never go over 3000, but the damn controllers push the pedal down to the floor. so we don't use our oil anymore untill we can filter it better.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
sepp -

Welcome to EM! You've already been doing some great things. Do you have a printout from the emissions test? It would be neat to see what is being measured in Belgium. Here's what get's measured in California.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Welcome, and congratulations. My friend George, builder of the world's fastest bike, got over 500.000 km from an old Datsun diesel pickup that was not fussy about what it burned.
When I made bio-diesel from waste vegetable oil, I think we just used a coffee filter. It turned out to be better to just start and stop the machines on thin oil, and run them on regular vegetable oil heated by the exhaust manifold.
A belly pan and smoother nose might be worthwhile on your truck, along with easy-rolling tires.

Tags
nissan pick up