EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   newby whats mpg improvement (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/newby-whats-mpg-improvement-3555.html)

big mcgow 07-05-2008 03:21 PM

newby whats mpg improvement

Hi all

I drive a 2003 automatic Honda Element I have lowered it 3' and removed the rear seat and increased the MPH from 25-26 to 27.45 -28.12 I dont know how it improved so much, but would love to get it into the 30s and hope this site can help. Just so it is clear I'm in a wheelchair I lowered it for easier access and removed the rear seat to get room behind the drivers seat for the chair, and the improved MPG was a nice byproduct. I am hooked on the idea of improving MPG. My daily commute to and from work is 140 miles on freeways and about 20 miles on city streets. I will be lurking for a while to see if I can learn about other mods an am fired up to read the old posts

Dennis

homeworkhome53 07-05-2008 04:46 PM

I don't drive freeways, but the quickest and least amount of work mod you can make is slowing down. My 26 mile one way commute now takes 7 minutes longer but the pay back is substancial. A scangauge would also be a good investment, though the element may already have this feature. I use the scangauge to tell me where the economy is then follow it's direction. In February when I bought this car new my mpg was 32.5. The last 6 tanks have all been over 48 mpg. Listen to the mpg leaders here and follow the threads and your mileage will improve and it will be worthwhile. In fact I will say the greatest improvement mod I've made has been following ecomodder.com daily and the awareness that it instills in my daily drive. Nothing can be fixed or improved if you are not aware that there is a problem. Here I've found that there is a problem, many really, but the biggest one was the attitude of the driver, in my case. Good luck, Big mcgow, enjoy the experience. I've found it fun and satifying, First place I go when I get home from work.
homeworkhome53

SVOboy 07-05-2008 05:35 PM

Slowing down is indeed key on the highway, but with such a long commute, that might be hard to do. Any chance of relocating closer to work? Or work closer to home?

Arminius 07-05-2008 10:17 PM

30 mpg should be really easy. There's a link on the homepage to an article on driving tips. You should read that and then start thinking about 40 mpg next.

big mcgow 07-06-2008 09:44 PM

Thank for the responses I will start a milage log and try to follow the driving tip tomorrow

Dennis

igo 07-06-2008 10:18 PM

Any chance you would be able to work 4 days instead of five (or less days)? Is carpooling or moving closer possible?

The only reason I am asking is because 160mi rt to work is a serious amount of time in a car.

cfg83 07-06-2008 11:59 PM

big mcgow -

Welcome to EM! The Element is an uber-practical car. I don't know how to solve the commute. Do you have the option of driving off-peak? After you spend more time optimizing your driving style, I would consider a scangauge.

CarloSW2

big mcgow 07-08-2008 11:21 PM

The commute is a pain but I am in a possision to make alot more money commuting right now, and the housing market here in california is not right to move. I work on contract for a city and drive from job to job so I need to drive at work all day. I was riding a bike in the past but for know I can't, so I drive. I commute off peak hours so that traffic is not an issue. My first tank of gas averaged 29.2 MPH so this site is helping I just have to stay on track a little better. I zone out and find myself changing up hills about 70, I need to get in the hypermile zen.:o

Thank for the help
Dennis

whitevette 08-15-2008 05:12 PM

Hi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by big mcgow (Post 41269)
Hi all

I will be lurking for a while to see if I can learn about other mods an am fired up to read the old posts

Dennis

Hi, Dennis!
I just found your thread...might I say - if you're looking at a ScanGauge...they are pricy! I've got one...but what they show you is basic :
1) Avoid quick gas pedal movements.
2) Keep your speed down.
3) Avoid over-revving the engine between shifts or in each gear.
4) Skip a gear when accelerating downhill.
5) Place an imaginary raw egg between your right foot and the gas pedal...and don't crush it!
:thumbup:

TestDrive 08-15-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitevette (Post 53654)
Place an imaginary raw egg between your right foot and the gas pedal...and don't crush it!

Excellent. Never heard it put that way before.

Hacksaw 08-15-2008 07:41 PM

It's all about imagination...

I drive as if my accelerator cable is frayed, broken and about to snap...

Imagine:
"Too much pressure and that last strand of wire is gonna let go...Gotta make it home...Don't wanna be stranded..."

That's how I roll, mentally...

Hacksaw

trikkonceptz 08-15-2008 08:20 PM

If your average speed is 70mph, then the difference between 70 and 60 in that rolling rounded brick will be enough to push you way over the 30mpg mark. I too drive 100 per day all highway and it took me a couple of months to mentally slow myself down to where I drive 55mph on the highway in the right lane. My commute time extended about 15minutes in each direction, but that was nothing a good Ipod couldn't fix. Log wise I went from 7 tanks a month to 5 tanks and reducing. I basically have dropped 20 gallons a month from my budget. It's worth the extra time.

azraelswrd 08-15-2008 09:09 PM

Wow, that's a lot of hwy miles. :eek: I concur with the general theme that changing your driving style/habits will translate into the most immediate MPG improvements. Scangauge (or some form of instant MPG feedback) can help.

My sig has the 5 basic areas you can look into to improve upon:

DRIVING STYLE
- what everyone has already said. Make sure to read the 100+ tips on the upper right corner of the page.
- know your car and what it is capable of (automatic vs manual transmission, is it flat-towable, understand your shift points, optimal speed and rpm)

AERODYNAMICS
- smooth out the air your car has to move through with grill blocks, removing drag-producing objects and surfaces such as roof racks, covering over "unsmooth" features, belly pan, front/rear wheel skirts, smooth hubcaps, front/side/rear wheel fairings, antenna removal, passenger side mirror removal, kammback/boattail

TIRES
- increasing tire pressure up to but not more than the max sidewall rating on the tire. I have my tires up to 40psi.
- switching from stock tires to low rolling resistance tires

WEIGHT
- reduce excess mass in and on the car.
- replacing heavier stock parts for lighter replacements

ENGINE
- make sure it is properly maintained as per manufacturer recommendations from oil, oil filter, fluids, tire rotation/alignment, batteries, spark plugs.

Greenblazer 08-16-2008 04:32 AM

Welcome!!!

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

zx3zetec 08-16-2008 08:51 AM

Welcome!
I'm finding the challenge of hypermiling quite enjoyable, and I think you will too!
Slowing down yeilded the best improvements on the highway for me.
Don't forget the basics like a fresh air filter etc!
Looking forward to seeing your fuel log as you progress:)

big mcgow 08-16-2008 08:52 PM

Wow thanks for the replies. I'm getting milage up to 30 mpg last week thanks to all the info from this site. The biggest factor for me has been slowing down and setting myself behind a semi when I am facing a head wind. This stuff is addicting and has become a competive outlet during my commute.

Dennis

rshane 09-01-2011 06:54 PM

Agreed - driving style is important. Also, get a scan gauge. It's easier to measure what you're doing right and wrong with instant feedback. I added a cold air intake and K&N filter to my 2004 Element with a 2 mpg improvement. It did also fill in the gap in the power curve. As long as you stay off the gas, mileage will go up.

Enjoy!

Mustang Dave 09-06-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitevette (Post 53654)
5) Place an imaginary raw egg between your right foot and the gas pedal...and don't crush it!

Better yet, place an imaginary rotten egg between your right foot and the brake pedal. How you accelerate is not as important as what you do after you accelerate. Your brakes turn gasoline into heat and brake dust.
Just sayin'.

mazdaratti 11-11-2011 04:23 PM

Drivin ah Box

i like those MPG numbers your getting, I want to lower my 03 std.trans ELEMENT DX.... could you tell us what you did to lower your "truck"...and about what it cost to have it done. Thanks Ed...

roosterk0031 11-11-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Dave (Post 259870)
Better yet, place an imaginary rotten egg between your right foot and the brake pedal. How you accelerate is not as important as what you do after you accelerate. Your brakes turn gasoline into heat and brake dust.
Just sayin'.

I agree, brisk accelerations isn't always bad, I think generally better than slow drawn out accelerating (atleast with my 3 auto cars), brakes always bad.

Learn how far you can coast into stops so you don't have to use the brakes until about 20 mph, at 20 mph I'm under 30 mpg so coasting any slower uses more fuel than driving fast. So I hold speed a little longer next time I come to that stop.

OP hasn't been here since 12/08, I thought it was funny he lowered it 3', that's quite a chop job.

civic_has 11-13-2011 10:09 PM

Welcome! With the help of this forum I got 40mpg on 2001 civic auto. Good luck