EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   news article on EV charging stations springing up (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/news-article-ev-charging-stations-springing-up-5666.html)

thefirebuilds 10-22-2008 01:25 PM

news article on EV charging stations springing up

Charging stations for electric cars growing in number - CNN.com

interesting. more would be better.

Christopher Jordan 10-23-2008 12:23 AM

That is just the opposite of what is going on here. I am viewed as a sneaky crook "stealing" power in my complex, and Zenn or Zap or GEM sales flopped in my town. Now I hear of Tesla refrigerator fans on all the time. Rather sad, and I was sure looking forward to several renderings of EVs come to life.

SuperTrooper 10-23-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 68812)
That is just the opposite of what is going on here. I am viewed as a sneaky crook "stealing" power in my complex, and Zenn or Zap or GEM sales flopped in my town. Now I hear of Tesla refrigerator fans on all the time. Rather sad, and I was sure looking forward to several renderings of EVs come to life.

I guess you just need to move. ;)

Christopher Jordan 10-26-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper (Post 68850)
I guess you just need to move. ;)

My City-EL is just like a very cranky exotic car. Runs great under full charge but is not at all practical hot wiring 1 battery after charging the other 3 overnight. But selling my place is not wise with prices dropping. No proof on room for my expensive hobby If I moved too quickly.

It did not get 1 response at Craigslist and only 3 tire-kickers at EV Trading post since another EL is $8000. so they thought mine might be totaled!

I will just cross my fingers and hope charging stations are common; and boost my EL price right up with the exotic cars :D

TomEV 10-27-2008 12:13 AM

Most of the 'charging stations' I have seen around my area are paddle type - not particularly useful for most electric cars around here. In many cases, I can find a standard outlet in parking garages, and ask the parking folks if it is OK to plug in. So far, I haven't had any problems.

The City of Alameda built a new parking structure, and I asked the City planning department to include a space or two for EVs to plug in. They installed three 110v/20a plugs - Good enough to put a few miles on while shopping or watching a movie! :thumbup: Better for the battery pack as well.

As there are a good number of GEMs, Xebras, and conversions with 110v chargers, (and one Citicar!) in the local area, it works out well for many people. One complaint from someone with a 220v charger, but at least it works for more vehicles than the paddle style ones did.

thefirebuilds 10-27-2008 12:19 AM

er sorry, noob. paddle type?

TomEV 10-27-2008 12:29 AM

Inductive charging paddles were used on production EVs built in the late '90s. The EV1, Ford Ranger EV, RAV4EV, and others used them. They are supposedly safer because they have no exposed electrical contacts, and can put out quite a bit of current.

PWP Web : EV Program - Inductive Charging

Conductive plugs used for EV charging are typically standard outlets (110vac and 220 vac) but the newer 'recharging station' plugs will probably require some sort of special plug in order to work. Everyone wants their $...

thefirebuilds 10-27-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomEV (Post 69344)
Inductive charging paddles were used on production EVs built in the late '90s. The EV1, Ford Ranger EV, RAV4EV, and others used them. They are supposedly safer because they have no exposed electrical contacts, and can put out quite a bit of current.

PWP Web : EV Program - Inductive Charging

Conductive plugs used for EV charging are typically standard outlets (110vac and 220 vac) but the newer 'recharging station' plugs will probably require some sort of special plug in order to work. Everyone wants their $...

thanks.

Plugs are standard for a reason. All you have to do to get your $ is put a cover over the outlet that wont unlock without payment. As long as no one tells Apple (R) about this we will hopefully continue with open source "holes"

TomEV 10-27-2008 12:52 AM

While the charging stations look like they may have 15 amp 110v standard plugs inside, (or not, depending on interpretation) it looks like they will use some sort of plug/connector that isn't widely available yet. In many cases, 15 amp is a tad short of the amperage used by many 110v chargers, and the charging station may refuse to charge because of overload.

Coulomb Technologies, Inc.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog...hargingreq.pdf

thefirebuilds 10-27-2008 12:59 AM

awesome, RFID and smart cards, so now theyll have to have the same protection as an ATM kiosk. Sounds cheap.

Most ATMs are in the $60k range and have worse security than described by your links. *sigh*