EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   News: Fuel Prices Effect Starving Populations (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/news-fuel-prices-effect-starving-populations-1856.html)

RH77 04-15-2008 01:29 AM

News: Fuel Prices Effect Starving Populations

In the U.S., we spend about 10% of our income on food. Parts of the World spend upwards of 75% on sustenance. When fuel costs and other pressures raise the price of food dramatically, the most vulnerable populations suffer and starve.

Green Car Congress Article on the World Bank announcement.

Higher fuel prices may sway the driving public into fuel efficient vehicles, but at what Cost?

RH77

hvatum 04-15-2008 01:42 AM

Not only fuel prices increase the cost of food, the production of fuel does also. It's a shame how much money we spend subsidizing Ethanol, which ends up making other people's food more expensive.

Cellulosic might become practical, but the jury is still out on it.

Arminius 04-15-2008 01:56 AM

Post of the day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvatum (Post 19670)
It's a shame how much money we spend subsidizing Ethanol, which ends up making other people's food more expensive.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

trebuchet03 04-15-2008 04:42 AM

Does anyone have a chart of the fuel cost trends in Euros or in British pounds? I'm curious how much the recent rise in fuel (in the states) is due to economy crap versus the actual value of the commodity.

Also, the whole trans fat demon thing has sparked cooking oil problems in other countries too...

RH77 04-15-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 19674)
Does anyone have a chart of the fuel cost trends in Euros or in British pounds? I'm curious how much the recent rise in fuel (in the states) is due to economy crap versus the actual value of the commodity.

Also, the whole trans fat demon thing has sparked cooking oil problems in other countries too...

The best I could quickly find is a recent CNN Article on World fuel prices. Also take into consideration the barrel price is up to $112, which starts out high for everyone. Translated into Euros, it's still higher over there too.

Figjam74 04-15-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 19674)

I did a bit of math on this a few weeks ago. I had an interest as well because, as a Canadian, we've been somewhat insulated from the sudden rise in prices with the improvement in our own dollar, relative to the US.

Best I could figure, if the dollars had kept relative value, the price of a barrel of oil would be around $65, maybe $70 now with the most recent changes. Up from around $25 at the beginning of the Iraqi invasion, IIRC.

I didn't bother to keep the spreadsheet, but I think that's pretty close.

Duffman 04-15-2008 09:35 PM

Fact of the matter is the planet is severely overpopulated and these food problems are only going to get worse.

I've found this stir over ethanol lately to be quite interesting. My personal opinion is that it is being driven by those on the extreme left that hate cars and those on the extreme right that love oil, an interesting combination huh? What has drawn me to this conclusion you might ask?

Why is there no movement against coffee bean farming, tobacco farming or land used to grow spices? None of these crops provide any nutritional value and take up land that could be used to grow grains or vegetables. Or land that is used to graze cattle could be converted to crop land and produce many times the calories per acre.

The world has enjoyed both cheap food and cheap energy for too long, now were going to pay the price of a painful adjustment in both.

FX2.3 04-15-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 19808)
The world has enjoyed both cheap food and cheap energy for too long, now were going to pay the price of a painful adjustment in both.

Unless the world ends 2012..

Don’t worry, those poor CEO's will still make money, and with that attitude they will be getting a bonus for making less cost more..

Duffman 04-15-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX2.3 (Post 19815)
Unless the world ends 2012..

Don’t worry, those poor CEO's will still make money, and with that attitude they will be getting a bonus for making less cost more..

??

FX2.3 04-15-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 19821)
??

I apologize for my off topic comment. The Mayan calendar has nothing to do with the current topic. I was just venting from a long stressful day.:(