EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   News: Toyota to provide fuel economy instrumentation in all models (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/news-toyota-provide-fuel-economy-instrumentation-all-models-573.html)

MetroMPG 01-08-2008 01:02 AM

News: Toyota to provide fuel economy instrumentation in all models

Via GCC:

"Toyota plans to make vehicle efficiency indicators standard in all of its vehicles, hybrid or non-hybrid."

And the great news is that it's going to be more than just an idiot light, (which they had initially proposed would be deployed as standard equipment in just their JDM vehicles). This one will include a numeric display as well as the idiot light. It will show tank average only, which isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

Quote:

The current plan is to include Eco Driving Indicators on all next-generation Toyota, Lexus and Scion models after the launch of the next-generation 4-Runner in Aug ‘09. Just what the Indicator will look like in each model hasn’t yet been determined.

Peter7307 01-08-2008 07:08 PM

A good start but why not just include an "instant MPG" readout in the car dash computer?
Many car makers have had this for a while.

Pete.

trebuchet03 01-08-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter7307 (Post 4636)
A good start but why not just include an "instant MPG" readout in the car dash computer?
Many car makers have had this for a while.

Pete.

I'm curious of the same thing too.... But perhaps it's an option? I know it was an option for me car... So Toyota will still be able to make a few dollars on an "upgrade" option while still doing some good...

MetroMPG 01-09-2008 03:02 PM

I guess I'm so jaded that when they offer the smallest carrot, I'm happy.

You're right, Pete - a tank average display is just a start.

But I do have to say the point I'm most glad about is that they'll be available in every model. For too long we've faced the irony of having fuel consumption displays available in only the more expensive (larger & less efficient) models. They're arguably needed more by the buyers of the bottom end economy cars!

mikeross 12-18-2009 03:40 AM

If toyota really does this then it will be good. But I doubt that it will be a long process..

tjts1 12-18-2009 10:59 AM

I'msurprised this stuff isn't standard on all cars yet. On my 96 volvo 850, I replaced the standard clock in the bottom of the instrument cluster with a trip computer from a more expensive version. It has a switch in the dash that swithes betwen 6 modes:
Instant mpg
Average mpg
Average speed
Miles traveled
Miles to empty at current average mpg
Outside temp which I relocated to the airbox

The electronics for this display are dead simple by todays standard and have the potential to really change driver behavior. The EPA should require a display like this on all cars.

thatguitarguy 12-18-2009 11:59 AM

My sister has the trip computer in her Corolla. She's happy to be getting around 35mpg. I think I'd be less than satisfied with anything less than 45mpg in her car, but she does have to drive a lot of miles, and at least she isn't driving her husbands Durango that only get about 17mpg.:eek:

My Town & Country is the first car I've had with this option, and it's made a huge difference in the way I drive, so if it's in every car, it will make a difference for some people, and sets a precedent that other manufacturers might feel obligated to follow.:thumbup:

Better than an idiot light, but if an idiot gauge just shows you how much of an idiot you are, undoubtedly some people will choose to ignore it. Maybe they should just make fuel tanks smaller. If you drive like an idiot, you have to stop 3 times on your way to work to fill up, but if you "adjust the nut" you can make it to work and back.:p

NeilBlanchard 12-18-2009 01:42 PM

Hi,

The factory MPG gauges in the Toyotas I'm familiar with are optimistic -- they read too high. They really need to have a calibration built in (like the ScanGuage), that can fine tune it.

And they really should have an instant and average MPG gauge that are both readable at the same time -- then you can gauge how you are driving and work to improve the average.

My wife's xD has ONE readout that toggles between ALL these:

Odometer
Trip A
Trip B
Instant MPG
Average MPG
Average Speed
and maybe something else?

...and the stupid button to toggle through these is in a deep recess and makes it hard to see... Thanks for cheaping out Toyota.

solarguy 12-18-2009 02:30 PM

I wonder if you could sell an aftermarket gauge, with user setpoints so it makes an obnoxious sound if your instantaneous mpg drops below x, and makes really nice noises if you cross above Y mpg (user selectable, cat puring, sexy womans voice, sexy mans voice, etc). Instant feedback at two important points on the graph, don't have to take your eyes off the road, very intuitive, etc etc.

I hereby give permission for anybody and everybody to build and sell this invention for profit or otherwise.

Probably not even really a new idea.

Finest regards,

troy

cfg83 12-18-2009 05:20 PM

tjts1 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 148617)
I'msurprised this stuff isn't standard on all cars yet. On my 96 volvo 850, I replaced the standard clock in the bottom of the instrument cluster with a trip computer from a more expensive version. It has a switch in the dash that swithes betwen 6 modes:
Instant mpg
Average mpg
Average speed
Miles traveled
Miles to empty at current average mpg
Outside temp which I relocated to the airbox

The electronics for this display are dead simple by todays standard and have the potential to really change driver behavior. The EPA should require a display like this on all cars.

110% agreement. I don't know that the "OBD" standard is today. I think it's beyond OBD-II but is still backwards compatible to OBD-II Scangauge communication.

The ability to calculate this is already in the ECU/PCM, so why not display it? Back in 1996 I could see a manufacturer's argument that entry-level cars didn't have LCD displays in the instrument cluster, but that isn't really true anymore (from what I can tell).

CarloSW2