EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   News: U.S. Use of Public Transportation Highest in 50 Years (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/news-u-s-use-public-transportation-highest-50-a-1372.html)

MetroMPG 03-12-2008 01:19 PM

News: U.S. Use of Public Transportation Highest in 50 Years

Via GCC:

Quote:

Public transportation use is up 32% since 1995, a figure that is more than double the growth rate of the population (15%) and up substantially over the growth rate for the vehicle miles traveled (VMT) on US highways (24%) for that same period.
The biggest increases in order of magnitude:

- Light rail (modern trolleys, LRT, etc.)
- Commuter rail
- Subways
- Bus

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...-of-publi.html

SVOboy 03-12-2008 01:26 PM

Yay, :thumbup:

Lazarus 03-12-2008 03:41 PM

On my commute to day I saw 12 bike commuters (ones with packs and above the age of 12). 3 with new bikes and one on a IZip. The most I've ever seen before is 2. :turtle::turtle: It was a beautiful day here in central Texas that helps. Maybe the times is a changing.

boxchain 03-12-2008 05:47 PM

:thumbup:

I only wish I had the option. I technically do, but it turns a 20-30 min commute into a 2 hour one :mad:

Build it and they will come...

Gone4 03-12-2008 06:50 PM

I guess people are just traveling more if both highway and public transportation experienced gains over population growth. I'm not so sure that its a good sign we need to use more fuel, regardless of how its getting used. Public transportation is great, but I'd like to see highway usage dropping with it so we use less fuel as a race, not more.

cfg83 03-12-2008 07:40 PM

MetroMPG -

I wonder how much of this is also a function of a weakening economy (i.e. people can't afford a car anymore).

CarloSW2

Christopher Jordan 03-13-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 13936)
I wonder how much of this is also a function of a weakening economy (i.e. people can't afford a car anymore).

In California we have almost the highest gas cost in the US, so I think this is very much the reason for a shaky economy in this area. We are south of San Francisco- the states highest average fuel costs. $3.59/ga. I think!

I filled up my Aspire last week, got angry it took $18., so put the car away. I hope my trikes never wear out!

Amusing, in a way. Most inventions left the country, and now that we need it; only a small few have persisted. Overall quite sad for society.

countersTrike

cfg83 03-13-2008 06:41 PM

Christopher -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 14062)
In California we have almost the highest gas cost in the US, so I think this is very much the reason for a shaky economy in this area. We are south of San Francisco- the states highest average fuel costs. $3.59/ga. I think!

I filled up my Aspire last week, got angry it took $18., so put the car away. I hope my trikes never wear out!

Amusing, in a way. Most inventions left the country, and now that we need it; only a small few have persisted. Overall quite sad for society.

countersTrike

I'm in SoCal. I paid $3.76 for Chevron 91 Octane, and that's at a reasonably priced station.

I wish it didn't have to be this way, but most societies only change (or die) when they are forced to. No 1973 Oil Embargo and we'd probably still be driving the Big-3 Iron Dinosaurs.

CarloSW2

cfg83 03-14-2008 03:58 AM

Frank -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 14139)
We ARE still driving 3-ton dinosaurs!

Yes, we are in a different era of dinosaurs. If pre-1973 was the Triassic, then what is today? Jurassic or Cretaceous?

Has the asteroid hit us yet? Will it be called Hubbert's Asteroid?!?!?!?!

CarloSW2

bennelson 03-17-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 14184)
Has the asteroid hit us yet? Will it be called Hubbert's Asteroid?!?!?!?!

CarloSW2

Hubbert's Asteroid. I like that.

The first one took out the dinosaurs, let's not let Hubbert's Asteroid take us out!!!!