Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone interested in a discounted Miles35 Upgrade?

I bought a field reduction from Miles35 when I first got my ZX40S. As many of you may be aware this little device is quite expensive at $995. I have never installed it, and was wondering if anyone was interested in purchasing for a 'substantial discount'. If interested, please let me know!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Good Luck on your sale!

Sadly I doubt that upgrade would work on my 48v miles, but to help others...

What year, model and voltage was it for?

Was it for AC drive or DC?

And to just humor my curiousity, where did the thing hookup, which terminals on the motor and what type of switch did it have.

I am more interested in a fit and function as I already have made something similar (I think) but am wondering where he had you hookup the thing and locate the button.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This one was designed for a 2007, 72-Volt ZX40S, 6.3 KW DC Motor. I think the length of the cable is what matters the most, but I don't know for sure. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but I think it hooks up to D1 and D2 on the motor. When I get to the documentation I will confirm!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stou0220 View Post
This one was designed for a 2007, 72-Volt ZX40S, 6.3 KW DC Motor. I think the length of the cable is what matters the most, but I don't know for sure. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but I think it hooks up to D1 and D2 on the motor. When I get to the documentation I will confirm!
Hello Stou0220, Might be interested in the device(is it from Mark D. in Ohio?). I too have an 07 zx40s, which I think has the Chinese motor and controller. Just learning about my car. Were you able to upgrade the SPEED? ? ? Thanks, Don
Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenny View Post
Hello Stou0220, Might be interested in the device(is it from Mark D. in Ohio?). I too have an 07 zx40s, which I think has the Chinese motor and controller. Just learning about my car. Were you able to upgrade the SPEED? ? ? Thanks, Don
If you want your top speed to go up several MPH just air your tires up to 50psi (or live dangerously and go to 60psi like I do)

Given that the tires on the miles are rated at 44psi at 120mph I would estimate your safe at 50psi at 30ish mph.

In regards to the device, field reduction will increase your speed but also draws more amps, I don't think he installed the device but I am curious if it was fully automatic (no button) or engaged once you got to a certain speed.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You're right, I haven't installed the device. However, I have installed and driven a ZX40S with a field reduction device on it that a close friend of mine has that he also bought I think from the same guy (they look almost identical).

There is nothing to the device, no buttons or anything. It looks like a short PVC pipe with a wire sticking out of each end. You can see the pics on Miles32.com. You bolt one end to D1 on the motor, and the other to D2. It took me 20 minutes installing it on my friends car. The difference in performance was substantial, as instead of going to 18MPH and dragging, it went to about 30 quickly before moving higher. We have a lot of hills, but on our flatest roads the car can go 35-40. Hill performance is better too but don't expect to go 35 up a steep hill!

If you are interested in buying the device, I will sell it a lot cheaper than what I paid for it just about a month ago. Some things have changed for me personally, and that same friend may take ownership of the car, at least partially. I will still work on it and drive it, but he would like to look for other ways to speed, like a bigger motor and/or replacement transmission.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh, I forgot to say that it is indeed from Mark L. in Ohio! I have talked to him and he appears to be pretty knowledgeable and a really nice guy. I asked if he would take this back, but he said his cost in it is too much to do that, but the next one he sold he would send my way. That hasn't happened as of yet, and if I can sell this at a discount, providing someone a good deal and putting some money back into my pocket, I am happy to do so!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
You're right, I haven't installed the device. However, I have installed and driven a ZX40S with a field reduction device on it that a close friend of mine has that he also bought I think from the same guy (they look almost identical).

There is nothing to the device, no buttons or anything.
It took me 20 minutes installing it on my friends car. The difference in performance was substantial, as instead of going to 18MPH and dragging, it went to about 30 quickly before moving higher. We have a lot of hills, but on our flatest roads the car can go 35-40. Hill performance is better too but don't expect to go 35 up a steep hill!
That is very strange indeed, on my car with field reduction my hill climbing ability is reduced, I still wonder if that device is always on or if it detects the motor volts and ramps up slowly as some of the electronic types do.

Right now many hills I can only climb going about 15mph, some as low as 12mph if they are steep and I don't get a running start.

My speed graaadddually increases from about 23mph up to 32mph when my batteries are fully charged on flat ground with hyperinflated tires and the speedup above 18mph is rather slow also. But again my car is 48v so it does behave differently than a 72v model.

I wonder how much of a range hit that device causes and if the hit occurs at all speeds or only higher speeds.

Interesting, too bad I can't take a look at one of those things up close and inside sometime.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to say that it is indeed from Mark L. in Ohio! I have talked to him and he appears to be pretty knowledgeable and a really nice guy. I asked if he would take this back, but he said his cost in it is too much to do that, but the next one he sold he would send my way. That hasn't happened as of yet, and if I can sell this at a discount, providing someone a good deal and putting some money back into my pocket, I am happy to do so!
Hi, Yes, I am interested. What are you asking for it? Also, can we communicate via phone? We could get info transferred much quicker. I am NEW on this site, and don't know the rules....................Don p.s.(what is "Go Advanced")
Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Benny,

I sent you a PM here with my email and phone number. If you want to contact me we can discuss!

Ryan, I wish I can give you more info, but short of cracking it open I don't what's inside that PVC pipe! My buddy wanted to drill a hole in it and look in it as he is extremely interested too. I told all he had to do was buy it and he could do whatever, but we are now thinking about some more radical mods...

Reply  Post New Thread