EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Nissan Develops ECO pedal to push back against aggressive drivers (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/nissan-develops-eco-pedal-push-back-against-aggressive-4350.html)

Tourigjm 08-04-2008 08:04 PM

Nissan Develops ECO pedal to push back against aggressive drivers

Nissan ECO pedal promises to push back against aggressive drivers - Engadget

Quote:

the pedal simply pushes back against the driver's foot when it detects wasteful acceleration, which Nissan says could improve fuel efficiency by as much as five to ten percent.
Sweet:thumbup::turtle:

Arminius 08-04-2008 08:39 PM

Dang, you beat me to it.

MetroMPG 08-04-2008 08:51 PM

This is the computer age version of the "double-spring" throttle. Years ago I drove a 280z (at least I think that's what it was) that had a relatively "soft" initial pedal, and a much firmer resistance in the lower pedal. There was a definite transition.

ankit 08-04-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arminius (Post 50903)
Dang, you beat me to it.

x2

I think it is kinda cool, but I feel that it just won't work out too well. There are just sometimes that you need to accelerate quickly in emergencies, and there wouldn't be enough time to engage a switch before stomping on the pedal. There would probably be a liability issue.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/giz.../Gas-Pedal.jpg

From another website....
Quote:

I'm all for exploring new technologies that help us save gas, but I think Nissan has gone a little too far with their "Eco Pedal." This new technology calculates the most fuel efficient rate of acceleration and then fights back against the driver's foot when it feels that rate has been exceeded. Nissan claims that the system can improve fuel efficiency by as much as 10 percent, which is why they plan on implementing it into their cars next year. As asinine and unsafe as all of this sounds, at least Nissan had the good sense to implement an on / off switch.
Suck On This Lead Foot: Nissan's Eco Gas Pedal Fights Back To Help You Save Gas

mrmad 08-04-2008 09:50 PM

What's next, the brake pedal that pushes back if you're braking too hard?

MetroMPG 08-04-2008 10:01 PM

Regarding the "assinine/unsafe" comments...

I have to believe the pedal will only make it marginally more difficult to push; it won't actually restrict normal pedal travel.

Let's not forget Nissan has lawyers who would likely have been consulted during the development...

Arminius 08-04-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 50944)
Regarding the "assinine/unsafe" comments...

I have to believe the pedal will only make it marginally more difficult to push; it won't actually restrict normal pedal travel.

Let's not forget Nissan has lawyers who would likely have been consulted during the development...

Yeah, that's what ultimately stopped my idea of electrified needles on the gas pedal.:eek:

wagonman76 08-04-2008 10:54 PM

I think it is a good idea, and eco-minded people will probably like it. But I dont see it pushing back against aggressive drivers. They will be the first ones to turn it off, or just buy a different vehicle.

Red 08-04-2008 11:02 PM

The pedal would be computerized. Most likely if the ECU saw a sudden change in TPS it wouldn't kick in the feed back.

Thats how I'd code it anyway.....

mrmad 08-04-2008 11:29 PM

I honestly think this will have about the same popularity as automatic seat belts did, which was one of the dumbest ideas to try to force people into being safe.

As other have stated, aggressive drivers will probably just turn it off or override it with their foot, if that's how it works. The driver is the one who has to want to save fuel and if he/she does, similar results could be had by putting an mpg guage on the dash.