EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Nissan's Land Glider: narrow car design w/ tilt handling. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/nissans-land-glider-narrow-car-design-w-tilt-10513.html)

botsapper 10-07-2009 08:00 PM

Nissan's Land Glider: narrow car design w/ tilt handling.

Here's another narrow car concept from Nissan. The Land Glider concept addresses the inherent handling concerns of narrow tracked vehicles by adding ala-Carver trike tilt handling to its capabilities. The tilting wheeler concepts had been seen mostly in trike designs but the Land Glider keeps all four wheels on the road for more equally divided tire contact for traction & control. The steering-by-wire & power-assisted leaning also keeps the all important center of gravity centered in between the tire patch contacts for optimum low & high speed maneuverability. The rear in-wheel electric motors are powered by lithium-polymer batteries mounted on the floor. It even has full body sensors car-robotics geared for active lane clearance space & crash avoidance. Like to see that in all models.

Nissan's Land Glider concept is a strange but effective mode of personal transportation | Up to Speed | Los Angeles Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLKhvdzJec

gone-ot 10-07-2009 09:00 PM

...he,he...at least in that, your drinks wouldn't spill as you rounded corners!

...Europe (Sweden?) has a similar 3-wheel vehicle I believe.

Rokeby 10-07-2009 09:20 PM

I wanted to see it come to a stop while in a tight turn.

Would it:
* Stay leaned into the turn as it came to a stop, or
* Slowly return to perpendicular as the speed reduced?

tjts1 10-07-2009 10:08 PM

This beats the hell out of that VW coffin looking thing.

gone-ot 10-07-2009 10:09 PM

...motorcycle drivers (and riders) will FEEL "...right at home!" for sure.

MetroMPG 10-07-2009 10:15 PM

It doesn't beat the VW's aero efficiency.

Still, a cool vehicle! Looks like fun to drive. Even if the Cd isn't great, the reduced A will still make it a much more efficient package for a 1-person or 2-up tandem commuter than a conventional small car.

botsapper 10-08-2009 12:39 PM

Recent comparisions w/ other narrow-track or tandem designs, the Land Glider has advantages that make it a superior platform. The more upright & taller seating gives it better ergonomics for easier entry/egress, longer down-the-road visibility, & closely matches conventional vehicles sight elevations. It could match bumper reqs. hts./crash cage protection w/ most of other vehicles. If the power-assisted leaning tech is sophisticated enough to not only optimally control the center of gravity at all situations, it could also counter crosswinds & affects of large vehicle (tractor-trailer) wakes. Improved driving dynamics, safety & control gives a greater sense of confidence. The introduction of the new class of 'narrower' green vehicles could easily be marketed & accepted by the driving (even 'driver enthusiasts') public with these adopted advantages.

metroschultz 10-08-2009 01:19 PM

I want one!

NeilBlanchard 10-08-2009 09:08 PM

Hi,

The video shows this vehicle at a pretty sedate pace -- I wonder how quickly it can change direction? And I wonder about minimum turning radius. Is it fly by wire, or is it power assist? Is it affected by bump steering? They show it on smooth, pothole-free roads.

elhigh 10-08-2009 09:19 PM

I drew during breakfast in college one day, a quick-and-dirty sketch of a hydraulic circuit for a leaning car. It would be a simple four-way joystick like you see on a lot of tractor-mounted front loaders, with a weight on the knob. The joystick is mounted upside down so the knob is actually pointed straight down. In actual practice you'd want something more sensitive, but for imagining in my head, it got the job done.

With a closed center, the itty-tiny pump that's always running - I figured you could take a tap off the power steering pump if you wanted - would simply dump into a reservoir. Once there's some lean to cancel, the weight pulls the joystick to the appropriate setting to try to level the car back out. The reservoir's there to add capacity if you're out for a quick blast up the Tail of the Dragon and the switchbacks come faster than the pump can supply.

Never built it of course. I was in college, no money. No neat little car to mount it in, either.

Big Dave 10-08-2009 09:25 PM

Looks like it handles the vehicle dynamics problems most narrow vehicles have by differential leaning.

Looks like it will need motorcycle tires as the wheels lean as well.

Frank Lee 10-08-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 132728)
I drew during breakfast in college one day, a quick-and-dirty sketch of a hydraulic circuit for a leaning car. It would be a simple four-way joystick like you see on a lot of tractor-mounted front loaders, with a weight on the knob. The joystick is mounted upside down so the knob is actually pointed straight down. In actual practice you'd want something more sensitive, but for imagining in my head, it got the job done.

With a closed center, the itty-tiny pump that's always running - I figured you could take a tap off the power steering pump if you wanted - would simply dump into a reservoir. Once there's some lean to cancel, the weight pulls the joystick to the appropriate setting to try to level the car back out. The reservoir's there to add capacity if you're out for a quick blast up the Tail of the Dragon and the switchbacks come faster than the pump can supply.

Never built it of course. I was in college, no money. No neat little car to mount it in, either.

The forces required to manage the leaning can't be all that great if the mechanism is designed that way- think motorcycle riding. Then I would think human leg power could manage it... ?

botsapper 10-09-2009 01:55 AM

I'm sure the Land Glider concept is built upon many generations of tilt/leaning concepts. Even though we didn't see any mechanicals, it looks like it could have 'dual-scythe' suspension system most similar to the Yamaha Tesseract or the 4MC quad concept. You have to see to believe the superior handling, articulation & stability of next gen narrow-track vehicles, especially in the wet skid pad tests & off-road sections.
Great tilt/lean prototypes & testing video references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j127RX9S7vw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNrJOrfqA-E
Page Title
HowStuffWorks Videos "Future Car: The NARO"
THREE WHEELED MOTORCYCLE
Revolutionary Four wheel tilting suspension • VideoSift: Online Video *Quality Control

MetroMPG 10-14-2009 12:08 AM

"...as you can see, it is tremendous fun to do these skidpad tests..."

No kidding! What a neat looking machine.

botsapper 10-20-2009 03:25 PM

Nissan with a serious intent on their 2nd gen electric vehicle concept?...as an Infiniti.
Nissan Land Glider concept could make production under Infiniti banner

johnwraps 07-21-2010 12:59 PM

It seems that the turning radius might be reduced for that narrow body of the car. It is better for curves and even its aerodynamic design. This is a real great thing for cars.