EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   No EOC on S-10 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/no-eoc-s-10-a-6502.html)

The Atomic Ass 12-22-2008 02:12 AM

No EOC on S-10

I had to move some large bits of wood from my parents this weekend, and ended up using my dad's S-10 for the job. Naturally, I tried a bunch of techniques I've been reading about, some I've even adapted to the bike...

But it did not like EOC one bit. It's a manual, but it would not bump start AT ALL. Nothing at all trying to bump start in higher gears, even though it did register engine speed on the tach, but it would not respond to the throttle. Even bumping it in lower gears to get the speed well above idle did nothing. At 2K rpms, it simply dragged the vehicle to a stop, even with me giving it a lot of throttle. After this, it also failed to restart with the key for 10-15 seconds. Not like it was flooded, but like it had no gas going to it at all. :confused:

Does this jive with anyone else's experience with Chevy's?

Also, I used my Autotap gear during the trip. Although it doesn't display actual fuel economy, it does show some interesting numbers. Would it be safe to say, that if I'm in a high gear, in "lug" territory, but my ignition advance is high, that I'm in good FE territory, as opposed to when the timing drops sharply, where I'm then lugging, that it's sucking gas? Although I managed good timing advance and vacuum numbers during some parts of the trip while in 5th, 5th gear feels like it's lugging at any load, any speed below 2K rpms...

Thanks for any input.

mavinwy 12-22-2008 10:44 AM

What year/engine on the s-10?

If memory serves me correctly, in the early 80's they had the 2.8l with a god-awful electric carb. If it is one of these, it certainly could have flooded out and been a problem.

Jim

taco 12-22-2008 10:51 AM

my friend silverado did that 4.8 5 speed, it kept saying security.

wagonman76 12-22-2008 02:44 PM

I wonder if the starter safety switch on the clutch pedal is wired only to the starter, or if it is also wired to the ECM, ignition, or fuel injection.

Christ 12-22-2008 03:56 PM

I can bump my dad's 1998 S-10 4 cyl... I can bump my friend's '97 S-10 4.3liter, I could bump my '89 S-10 4.3 liter... never had a problem with any of them.

You really need to make sure the key is in the "run" position before leaving out the clutch though.

IOW - when you turn the key off, turn it back on. Just because you can turn the steering wheel doesn't mean your car is in "run".

taco 12-22-2008 04:08 PM

i know my friends truck i eoc with the key on for about 1/4 mile. and it would not restart with the wheels moving, wioth bump start or starter, i think it has to cut completly off the on to restart, the anti-theft kicked in every time. 2001 4x4 reg cab silverado 4.8 5 speed

The Atomic Ass 12-24-2008 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavinwy (Post 79801)
What year/engine on the s-10?

If memory serves me correctly, in the early 80's they had the 2.8l with a god-awful electric carb. If it is one of these, it certainly could have flooded out and been a problem.

Jim

2001. As for the 2.8L, we had an '84 with that engine. Never did any EOC, but it was good otherwise, even with bad rings, it had a ton of torque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taco (Post 79850)
i know my friends truck i eoc with the key on for about 1/4 mile. and it would not restart with the wheels moving, wioth bump start or starter, i think it has to cut completly off the on to restart, the anti-theft kicked in every time. 2001 4x4 reg cab silverado 4.8 5 speed

I wasn't getting the security light that I recall, but that sounds about right. I think I did stop as I was cranking it.

whokilledthejams 12-26-2008 08:52 PM

In my younger, dumber days, I had a 95 GMC Slownoma (4cyl/5spd), and I bump started it a number of times when my starter gave out in late 03/early 04.

extragoode 12-29-2008 12:22 AM

I had a 94 2.2L S10 and I bump started it all the time, it popped right off even in reverse (I replaced a couple starters). A couple times I'd turn the key back too far and it acted exactly as you describe. I've never tried to EOC anything with an antitheft device, but this seems plausible also. My Frontier and our Jeep only has antitheft on the doors and that's annoying enough.

festivaWES 12-29-2008 07:41 PM

I've bump started mine as well...2002 2.2l