EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   From non hybrid SUV to Volvo V60 D6 twin engine AWD plug in hybrid (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/non-hybrid-suv-volvo-v60-d6-twin-engine-35981.html)

TimV 12-22-2017 03:16 PM

From non hybrid SUV to Volvo V60 D6 twin engine AWD plug in hybrid

Today i picked my new car up.

It is an second hand car. 4 years old. Only 85000km. Find out that the car had only 5000km done in electric.

This is my new thread of my new car. Here you will read all the news of my car.

It is charging at the moment. (20km range).

How do you fill in the garage? Only the fosile fuel? Or every charge in kWh converteer?

thingstodo 12-22-2017 06:07 PM

My opinion - every time you charge, post kw-h in, distance traveled. The 'tank' is small ...

For a hybrid, I would expect you would charge every time you are near a 120V socket.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-22-2017 10:41 PM

I must confess I'm quite curious to see what MPGe you'll get while driving on EV mode.

TimV 12-23-2017 03:09 AM

Hete it is charging at 240V. At maximum selected power is it 3,5 to 4hours. Range should be 50km. Real range is 40 to 45km. (Tested)

Fingie 12-23-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimV (Post 557116)
Real range is 40 to 45km. (Tested)

quite nice. And by training how you drive, you can probably even increase the mileage from there on pure EV :thumbup:

i've also considered a plug-in volvo in the future, i really like the new series Volvos. Theres a T8 XC90 parked every day at the hospital, and it looks really saxy :3

rolleyes: or maybe i'll convert a old 700/900-series into a hybrid if i become tech-savvy enough:cool:

TimV 12-23-2017 03:51 PM

Right now i drive with winter tires. So higher rolling resistance.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-24-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 557137)
i've also considered a plug-in volvo in the future, i really like the new series Volvos. Theres a T8 XC90 parked every day at the hospital, and it looks really saxy :3

Even though I've never been too overwhelmed about hybrids, except when I was 9 or 10 and became interested in the Prius for a , the XC90 T8 looks great.

Quote:

or maybe i'll convert a old 700/900-series into a hybrid if i become tech-savvy enough:cool:
I must confess, when I saw a XC90 T8 for the first time I started wondering what its drivetrain could do in a GMT400 Chevy Tahoe :D

Ecky 12-24-2017 10:44 PM

I've found most Nokians have pretty good rolling resistance, for what it's worth.

TimV 12-25-2017 05:53 AM

The first tracked rit is uploaded!

23.6km with 4,7kWh charge cost (electricity tooked from the net)
105mpg! (130 rated :o )
I must confess, i had head wind.

TimV 01-02-2018 11:29 AM

Filled the car up in this new year, and i will keep track of every charge i do, so i have nice data of the consumption i have with the volvo.

Diesel consumed: 22,71liters
Distance traveld: 805,5km
Diesel comsumption: 2,82l/100km
Dashboard indicated was 1,8km/100km :confused:
I know there is an diesel heat burner to heat up the engine and give heat to the cabin when driving in electric mode, but if that uses 1liter every 100km, then that sucks real hard...
I do not preheat the car nor have the temp running high.
If i turn of that diesel burner, then the car forces once and a while the diesel engine on, to get it up temperature...

Still needs to learn how to drive it more economical.

Estimated electricity used: 94,9kWh

Total consumption 322kWh (1liter diesel =10kWh)

Converted
= 399,75wh/km ?
= 3,9975l/100km?
Is this correct?

Edit: I found in the owners manual that when you use the additional heater (diesel burner) that the average fuel consumption is not accurate (is only the consumption of the diesel engine).

TimV 01-28-2018 06:14 PM

Brand new distance record. I had an round trip to do of 49,1km. After 48,7km i ran out of battery. Not bad for an maximum electric range of 50km. I drove in the dark with lights on and winter tires.

TimV 04-09-2018 05:48 PM

I aim planning on installing water methanol injection on the turbo diesel for increased preformance. And in a year or so i let it remap for more preformance.

It is an 5 cilinder in line. And is an 2400cc engine with a twin turbo. Any idea's on what size nozzle wil be good?

TimV 04-19-2018 12:57 PM

Right now in summer i aim so close to get to work and back home on 1 single charge without a drip of diesel. But it just is to far to do it.

The solution?
EV pusher trailer
or
Battery pack in the trunk for in the field (at work) recharging the car.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-20-2018 09:37 AM

Probably the electric pusher trailer could be more versatile, and save you the time you would otherwise need for the in-the-field recharging. If you could make an aerodynamically-enhanced single-wheel trailer with a hub-motor, and compact enough to eventually store it on board while not in use, that would be interesting to say the least.

TimV 04-22-2018 11:34 AM

Sooooooo close :mad:

Today i managde to drive 53 full electric kilometers (with max range of 50 says Volvo) of the 54,6km i needed to do.

The conditions where perfect.
Right temperatures, no trafic, so i could drive a lot slower then posted speed limits.

The first step i will make is an dc booster that will push the 12V system the car has.

The car has en dc to dc converter that runs from the 400V hybrid battery and charges the 12V battery. Voltage is depending on conditions. Somethimes it is not charging (12,3 to 12,5V), somethimes it is charging with low voltage (13 to 13,3V) and somethimes it is charging at boost (14,5 to 15V).

If i activate the dc converter from my own 12 or 24V system before i activate the car, the chance is that de converter from the car thinks that the battery is under good conditions and won't try to charge the 12V system of the car. I hope so to save 0,5kWh from the battery (is 1/16the equals to 3km of range) That should help to get me in summer to go full electric.

In 4 months i move to my finally almost myself renovated home. What is 1,1km closerby to work, what leads to an before 54,6km round trip that is shorter and will be 52,4km.

A lot better to get round full electric :turtle:

TimV 06-19-2018 03:08 PM

This weekend i went to an carmeeting that was organized by an chip tuner. I took the opportunity to let my car ride the dyno and i measured the wheel horespower of it. So no crankhorespower.

On paper it has an 215hp diesel with 440Nm. And an electromotor that is capable of 68hp and 200Nm. They say in power it has 283hp and 660Nm. But the piek hp of both engines isnt at the same time.

The first run was in power (electric and diesel together)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ti...re8120-dqt.png
the second run was in hybrid with only the diesel engine.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ti...618-121840.jpg

TimV 06-29-2018 06:25 PM

Today is the first day that i test my theory at work.

I had 2 tests at home where it worked outside of the car.

In the trunk are 4 12V lead battery's. Those are reused ones from the alt delete from my SUV.
+/_ 4Kw of capacity. 12V 335Ah.

There is an pure sine wave inverter coupled to it. 2000W continue. I set the charger to 6A charging, 1385W.

Between the output of the inverter and the charger of the car is an analog switching clock.

It will charge 2 times 30 minutes.
So effective range will increase with 6km making the total to 56km.

I hope to have enough. Otherwise i increase it to 3 times 30 minutes.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ti...629-210909.jpg

TimV 06-30-2018 12:40 PM

Lol.

Small desing fault.

With the timer that is plugged in the inverter, i need to plug it upside down in. Otherwise the earth connection isnt continue and the charger of the car gets a fault and wont charge.

Lets hope today it will work better.

The timer wasnt tested in the first inition test.
So it is my fault.

Sorry ��

TimV 07-03-2018 08:34 PM

The second test wasn't an succes either.

When the timer swithed on, the inverter isnt fast enough to hold the 230Volt. The charger sees a to low voltage during first testing befor starting to charge and goes in fault.

The thirt test was a verry little succes.

I set the timer to start at the moment i plugged it in and set it so up that it would the charger run for 1 hour. Incriesing the range with 6 km.
But somewhere the timer failed and i think it charged for almost 2 hours.

I did indeed succesfully did an full EV run. I drove in total 58km and had 5km range left. I did an detour on the way home. Stopped at the mall for suplies.

TimV 09-05-2018 08:43 PM

It takes for aiges to have a refill.

I have driven 2850km. The diesel tank is at 3/8 and the car says i have 365km diesel left. So a new tank distance record already. I have no idea when the tank will be empty.

What i do know is that the dashboard says an average of 1,1l diesel for every 100km driven (214mpg). Without electricity.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-05-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimV (Post 578154)
What i do know is that the dashboard says an average of 1,1l diesel for every 100km driven (214mpg). Without electricity.

That's impressive. BTW does it also require AdBlue?

seifrob 09-18-2018 05:04 PM

When you manage to do your commute whole electric, what are the chances to get your diesel in your tank old? I mean, is there any device to prevent it? Does the car start the engine when it feels to?

It would be a shame to find your injectors clogged by rotten diesel after few months of happy EV-ing.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-19-2018 12:32 AM

Following some protocol similar to what is done to aircraft to ensure the quality of the kerosene might become a PITA...

seifrob 09-19-2018 09:10 AM

.. Yes, you seem to be wasting fuel. But by wasting fuel you ensure you do not damage your vehicle ( what could be deadly in case of airplane ) - and there are cases where water gets to gas and diesel somehow forms jelly-like chunks. So I think there is a reason why ICE in hybrid should run sometimes. So you use your fuel tank to use the fuel, not to store it.

TimV 09-19-2018 01:20 PM

The car itself regulates the time possible to drive without diesel. It is around 4 months and after that it will refuse to drive electric. It will run until you fill up.

When the coolant is below freezing temperature, the car start the diesel engine to heat up the hybrid battery. Even if you put the car in full electric.

My point is to cover my most commutes, and that is to work and back. In 4 months there are enough rides with the car that can't be coverd full electric.

The car is without adblue.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-19-2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seifrob (Post 579397)
.. Yes, you seem to be wasting fuel. But by wasting fuel you ensure you do not damage your vehicle ( what could be deadly in case of airplane ) - and there are cases where water gets to gas and diesel somehow forms jelly-like chunks. So I think there is a reason why ICE in hybrid should run sometimes. So you use your fuel tank to use the fuel, not to store it.

Algae and bacteria growth is a matter of concern with Diesel and kerosene. Well, at least in cars the tank vents into a closed canister, while aircraft have the tank vents wide open in order to balance with the outside air pressures at different altitudes (which increases the risk of moisture contamination). A former teacher of mine once told my class about a day he was draining small amounts of kerosene from the tanks of some Brazilian Air Force aircraft (probably an EMB-110 Bandeirante) into a Coke bottle, looking at it against the sun and then pouring that kerosene on the runway, and then a guy on another aircraft arrived with some laboratory materials, tested a small amount of kerosene with that and put it back into the tanks...

TimV 03-09-2019 12:18 PM

I so love this car. It is a dream to drive it around my only wish is that it had 10km more range.

I drove my normal work commute and have driven 600km in 2 weeks (9 workdays and 1 weekend). And i got an average fuel use of 0,6l/100km or 390mpg US.

Offcourse i use some electricity. Around 145kWh. Total cost is 36€. Or if i drove a diesel the same amount of monney it would need to get 4,6l/100km or 51mpg US. Or gasoline it needs to get 5l/100km or 47mpg US

TimV 04-30-2019 12:55 PM

Last night I forgot to plug in the car.

So with an fully flat battery i needed to drive to work and back. A total of 52km. The result?

Average fuel consumption of 4,1l/100km!

Damn that was low. It is a hair more expensive then if i had charged the car. Cost of driving was almost the same.

Lucky for me this year i will have my home made powerwall of +40kWh with 7200wp solarpanels. The panels are installed. Now it is waiting for enough funds for some expensive electronics.

TimV 03-29-2023 07:14 AM

Look what crazy mod I did :cool:

http://youtu.be/3iGC3kZ58T8

Piotrsko 03-29-2023 09:49 AM

Late to the party, but most all diesel fuel additives for wintertime have an additive for water and microbiological intrusion in the tank in addition to an anti gel. I suspect the formulation in the lucas products line, but thats personal. Fwiw: with diesel kleen winter, my favorite, I went 6 months on a partial tank in the F250, no warning lights or crud in the fuel filter/water trap.

TimV 03-29-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 682202)
Late to the party, but most all diesel fuel additives for wintertime have an additive for water and microbiological intrusion in the tank in addition to an anti gel. I suspect the formulation in the lucas products line, but thats personal. Fwiw: with diesel kleen winter, my favorite, I went 6 months on a partial tank in the F250, no warning lights or crud in the fuel filter/water trap.

I still have half a tank of winterdiesel :turtle:

Piotrsko 03-29-2023 09:57 AM

When you say winterdiesel are you meaning the pre mixed D1/D2 you buy at a station or something else? I know my dealer adds some additives, but not near enough for storage.

TimV 03-29-2023 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 682204)
When you say winterdiesel are you meaning the pre mixed D1/D2 you buy at a station or something else? I know my dealer adds some additives, but not near enough for storage.

Premixed from station.