Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Crazy idea?

I've been looking around and I've had my thoughts from years ago pop back into my head and wanted to bring them up and see if they are viable or not.

Idea one:
1. Cool the air intake to 30-50F
2. Heat the fuel to 80-90F

My thinking - which may never be right - is that if you heat the fuel you are expanding it, there for the amount of fuel use would be less based on mass since the volume would be expanded. With the fuel in a more expanded state, cooled air which would basically be compacted (lack of a better word), would better mix with the fuel and add more O2 to the mix.

Of course my thinking wouldn't just end there.

To continue on with my what may be a hair brained scheme is that if you were to ionize the air and the fuel (One with positive ionization and the other with negative ionization) when they mixed, they would end up becoming attracted to one another and become a better fuel/air mixture.

Of course I don't stop there..

How about splitting the air into two channels, one channel becomes + and the other -, put back together and made back into neutral and repeat the process many times and then figure out if to take the last neutral output and make it + or - and do this for the fuel?

My chemistry and physics knowledge is very limited and also my space, time, money to experiment on this is nil...

Any thoughts? If it wouldn't work, why wouldn't it.. If it would work why will it work? I'm thinking that it won't work.. (Yes, I'm pessimistic..)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I'll comment on the air

I'll comment on the air temp --

You may find that many vehicles run quite inefficiently at colder IATs, despite the small gains from potential atomization. From the shop manual, feedback to the ECU indicates the injection of more fuel to make maximum power, or to "warm-up" the engine. For me, the ideal temp is 90-100F.

I'm not as familiar with heating the fuel. The fuel is entering a heated cylinder at a much higher temp than indicated. Atomization has stood as an improbable situation, since the injectors tend to attempt this as best as possible.

The only way to know for sure, of course, is testing.

RH77

_
_
Old 05-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ellisgl,
Welcome to the place and enjoy your stay.

Not sure about ionizing the air and splitting it into two channels...maybe a little beyond what can be done by the home spanner spinner but lateral thinking is always worth looking at.

Heating fuel may lead to extra evaporation as well as making some people very nervous.

Cheers , Pete.

Reply  Post New Thread