EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Non-top tier gas + additive to save money? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/non-top-tier-gas-additive-save-money-24714.html)

serialk11r 01-23-2013 08:26 PM

Non-top tier gas + additive to save money?

This isn't exactly a question of efficiency as much as it is a question of economics, so I put it here. Typically I would fill my car with Chevron (something about the blue everywhere makes me feel good), but I didn't feel like driving 2 miles just to get to the cheaper Chevron station in the next town so I just filled at a Valero. Typically I avoid Valero/ARCO since it's "lower quality" gas, but I read that the only difference is a small amount of detergents, so I poured 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank since it's composition suggests that it's a good cleaner.

1 quart of MMO costs about as much as 1 gallon of gasoline, but the additives in gas are well under 1% of the composition, so adding just a few ounces should be bringing the "cleaning power" up quite a bit? So I saved maybe 1 dollar on the actual gasoline getting Valero, and then dumped 30 cents of MMO back in.

Thoughts?

gone-ot 01-23-2013 09:23 PM

...that's exactly what GM Owners Manual recommend when using "...non-Tier 1..." gasolines, so you're doing it right.

Frank Lee 01-23-2013 09:32 PM

I burn the cheapest fuel w/o additives. No problems.

serialk11r 01-23-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 352621)
...that's exactly what GM Owners Manual recommend when using "...non-Tier 1..." gasolines, so you're doing it right.

Really? :O

Gonna buy more Valero from now on, my credit card gives 3.3% off on gas so that makes up the difference between them and ARCO.

Mustang Dave 01-25-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 352622)
I burn the cheapest fuel w/o additives. No problems.

Same here.
I tried adding a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner to a fill-up in my Mustang last Summer. It made NO difference in FE, but it cost over $85.00 per gallon. :eek: ($7.99 + tax for a 12 oz bottle) I'll just continue purchasing my fuel from Safeway and not adding anything to it. :)

givemeslack 01-25-2013 09:16 PM

I've found good results with Lucas Fuel Treatment. The small 4 oz. bottles are expensive, but you can by it in quart and gallon sizes.

bestclimb 01-27-2013 01:30 AM

I buy the cheapest gas without going out of my way. No additives.

BrandonMods 04-30-2014 12:53 AM

I recently looked into this very same thing for my cruze. I have been unable to find any data supporting the benefits of using top tier gas in your vehicles. If anyone knows of any published data (non-biased) could you please post the link. Otherwise the website Top Tier Gasoline actually has a list of top tier gas suppliers if anyone is interested.

redpoint5 04-30-2014 05:01 AM

Top tier fuel is likely unnecessary. That said, if it does somehow keep the fuel system cleaner, then an occasional fill-up at a non-top tier fuel station will not significantly affect fuel system cleanliness.

I've never had a fuel system failure, and I've always run Arco gas for hundreds of thousands of miles.

FYI- Costco fuel is the cheapest in my area, and it is now Top Tier (ie equivalent to Chevron, Texaco, etc.)

It is very unlikely that cheap gas will ruin a fuel system, and even if it did, fuel systems are easy to service.

Frank Lee 04-30-2014 05:13 AM

Please don't use "ect.". It makes me crazy-er.